bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Buckeyes QB Troy Smith

Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith was suspended for the first game of the season and split duties with Justin Zwick during the Buckeye's loss to Texas in the second game. But he came into his own by the end of the season, leading the conference in passing efficiency (162.65) while becoming the first OSU QB ever to throw for 2,000 yards and run for at least 500. Ironically, he's not getting near as much Heisman buzz as teammate Ted Ginn. Is Troy Smith the most underrated quarterback in college football?

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would say both Drews (Stanton and Tate) are better and certainly more underrated. If anything, Smith is overrated.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Smith is tailor made for the college game. He'll have a monstrous season.

dave11486
    dave11486's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 777

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap
    I think Smith is tailor made for the college game. He'll have a monstrous season.
    This is the truth. He ended last season in a monstrous way (Michigan and ND). If J Tress lets the offense play this season, Troy Smith will put up ridiculous numbers.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

this guy is ridiculously good and could very well win the heisman...

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by pags11
    this guy is ridiculously good and could very well win the heisman...
    I'm looking at Smith and Leak competing for the Heisman showdown this year. The overall success of their respective teams will likely decide the winner.

pags11

I agree isetcap...Leak at +900 over at pinny looks kind of juicy...

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by pags11
    I agree isetcap...Leak at +900 over at pinny looks kind of juicy...
    I think this is going to be the year I break down and invest a large amount in some futures. In the past I've always hated the thought of tying up my funds for so long. I appreciate you passing this number along...

Razz is also sending out a lot of good futures information for anyone else who's looking to take on these kinds of wagers.

pags11

yep, and if leak get's invited to New York and is a shoe-in for a top three finish, you've got some serious hedging power there...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Blue Ribbon Yearbook.

The start of the 2005 season couldn't have been any worse for Troy Smith. He was forced to sit out one game because of an NCAA violation. So, instead of getting ready for the Week 2 battle against Texas, Smith watched Justin Zwick lead the team against Miami (Ohio).

Sure, the Buckeyes won easily enough against the Redhawks, Zwick hitting 17-of-23 passes for 155 yards. But Smith should have been the one on the field. Smith should have been preparing for Texas.

Ohio State used both players against the Longhorns and neither was very effective. They combined to take three sacks and hit 14-of-26 passes for 144 yards. Worse, the Buckeyes lost, 25-22, essentially eliminating them from national title contention and paving the way for the Longhorns to win the championship.

Barring any summer issues, there will be no quarterback questions at Ohio State in 2006. Senior Troy Smith (6-1, 215) is the clear-cut No. 1 and senior Zwick (6-4, 225) provides insurance.

Smith earned the starting job, plus preseason All-America and Heisman Trophy consideration, with a spectacular junior season. Albeit abbreviated. He completed 63 percent of his passes for 2,282 yards and 16 touchdowns. He was intercepted just four times. He threw for 300 yards against Michigan.

"What's been nice has been to watch Troy's development not only as a player, but as a person," Daniels said. "A few years ago, I don't know how well Troy would have handled all of this. Being older now, he's been through a lot and he's just handling it so well. His evaluation of the whole thing is that it just goes with the territory."

When forced out of the pocket, Smith showed game-breaker ability. He ran for 611 yards and 11 touchdowns. He gained 127 yards against Iowa.

While Vince Young has moved on to the NFL a year early, his clone is playing in Columbus. Though not as big as the former Texas star, Smith has the combination of passing ability and running skills that make him a headache for any opposing defensive coordinator.

"Troy welcomes that comparison," Daniels said. "He's very confident in his ability. It comes across to the other team members that way, but not cocky. What's also nice is the ability of everybody around him."

Smith has become a student of the game, something a coach can't force.

"I see him almost every day at the office," Daniels said. "He comes in and watches tapes or something related to football. His understanding is getting better and better and better. He's done a great job as far as leadership. He understands each player's abilities. He knows their strengths and weaknesses. He actually studies that. He's almost like a fan in that sense."

The threat of Smith running should open passing opportunities and running lanes for the Buckeyes. Tressel might want to cut back the number of times Smith actually takes the ball down the field. Like Texas and Young, the Buckeyes won't have a chance to contend for the national title without him.

"He had a good spring," Daniels said. "We sort of put him in tissue paper a little bit, kept the [no touch] black jersey on him, which hurts him a little bit. Despite the fact that he couldn't do some things that made him Troy, he still had a nice spring."

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

This kid is starting for the 49ers this weekend. He finally gets his shot.

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Whoa talk about the way-back machine...I had to click just to make sure I didn't go back in time...