letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

National Championship - LSU has to lose 2 to be out of it?

Brad Edwards just on ESPN, laid out scenarios.

Arkansas beats LSU - LSU probably still plays in SEC Championship vs. Georgia (Top 2 Teams in BCS rakings in SEC, then use head to head record to determine who plays in SEC Championship) He thinks Arkansas stays at 3 even if they beat LSU. This is assuming Alabama beats Auburn.

If LSU beats Arkansas, then LSU loses to Georgia in SEC Championship - Georgia wins SEC, plays in Sugar Bowl, and LSU still plays Alabama in National Championship as long as Alabama beats Auburn. This is crazy since neither team wins their Conference Championship game.

IF LSU wins 1 out of the 2, then they will be in National Championship assuming Alabama beats Auburn. If Alabama loses, LSU may not need to win another game and still could be in it.

Only way Arkansas can get to Championship is to win out and have Alabama lose to Auburn or have LSU lose to Georgia.

Smoke_O
    Smoke_O's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15

The BCS being ridiculous is an under statement. Its getting out of hand at this point.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

The funny thing is that if Arkansas spanks LSU, it will actually hurt them more then if they barely beat them.

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

What your failing to point out in your - if LSU loses this and Alabama loses that anaylsis is that Oregon, OKl, OKl State, Boise etc etc have all lost at least one game to this point.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

True, but it just proves how stupid the system is when you could have two teams that don't win their conference playing for the national championship.

IBGPN
    IBGPN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1264

if arkansas beats lsu then alabama plays for the sec championship. brad edwards is an alabama homer idiot. not to mention his bcs 5-10 predictions were wrong last night...not a single one right.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by IBGPN View Post
    if arkansas beats lsu then alabama plays for the sec championship. brad edwards is an alabama homer idiot. not to mention his bcs 5-10 predictions were wrong last night...not a single one right.
    How does your scenario happen? LSU falls to 3rd in the BCS, I don't see that happening.

IBGPN

if arkansas beats lsu then the bcs will be alabama arkansas lsu.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by IBGPN View Post
    if arkansas beats lsu then the bcs will be alabama arkansas lsu.
    I don't think so, but we will see what happens. Don't know how LSU could possibly fall to 3rd when they have a strong strength of Schedule and Arkansas hasn't played anyone.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

What you do is nuke every team in the country except the SEC and just have them play college football and this nonsense will never happen.

xbhessx
    xbhessx's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by thebestthereis View Post
    What you do is nuke every team in the country except the SEC and just have them play college football and this nonsense will never happen.
    But, the "nonsense" we're discussing is all in the SEC. I don't see how your nuke solved anything...

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by xbhessx View Post
    But, the "nonsense" we're discussing is all in the SEC. I don't see how your nuke solved anything...
    I think his point is if there was another team worthy to play in the National Championship then we wouldn't have to look to one Conference to produce the top 3 candidates for the game.

IBGPN

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    I don't think so, but we will see what happens. Don't know how LSU could possibly fall to 3rd when they have a strong strength of Schedule and Arkansas hasn't played anyone.
    so you think if arkansas wins the bcs standings stay the same? or just alabama and lsu switch spots and arkansas stays at 3?

Dkid
    Play to win.
    Dkid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 614

only 2 teams per conference can play in bcs game. so what your saying doesnt make sense if georgia wins.

DerekMadden
    DerekMadden's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

If Arkansas beats LSU the rankings would MOST LIKELY look like this:

1. Alabama
    2. Arkansas
    3. LSU

the way the BCS works with the voters is what have you done to impress me NOW.
    It's all about the present.

If LSU loses, they drop back..

DerekMadden
    DerekMadden's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

You are right they haven't played anybody..
    A&M at the time - 13
    Alabama - 2
    Auburn at the time - 15
    South Carolina - 9

you can't tell me the rankings at the time don't mean anything.
    teams play a lot better with that number in front of them than they do when it's not.
    it's a psychological thing.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by DerekMadden View Post
    If Arkansas beats LSU the rankings would MOST LIKELY look like this:

1. Alabama
    2. Arkansas
    3. LSU

the way the BCS works with the voters is what have you done to impress me NOW.
    It's all about the present.

If LSU loses, they drop back..
    Only way that happens is if Arkansas spanks LSU. And again, it works against Arkansas to spank LSU, because then they lose the tiebreaker to Alabama.

Either way there are going to be people complaining if this happens, because LSU beat Bama at Bama, Alabama killed Arkansas, and Arkansas would have beaten LSU at LSU.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by DerekMadden View Post
    You are right they haven't played anybody..
    A&M at the time - 13
    Alabama - 2
    Auburn at the time - 15
    South Carolina - 9

you can't tell me the rankings at the time don't mean anything.
    teams play a lot better with that number in front of them than they do when it's not.
    it's a psychological thing.
    To be honest, I don't know all the computer formulas to determine strength of schedule. I am guessing there is more weight on where the team is today vs. where they were when you played them.

xbhessx
    xbhessx's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dkid View Post
    only 2 teams per conference can play in bcs game. so what your saying doesnt make sense if georgia wins.
    I had that same question, so I looked up what the actual wording of the BCS guidelines said. The rule, quoted from the BCS website:

"No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings."

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

To be honest, I don't know all the computer formulas to determine strength of schedule. I am guessing there is more weight on where the team is today vs. where they were when you played them.
    How does that make sense. SOS is determined by who the team was when you played them. Look at a team like Florida State with and without EJ Manuel. There's a massive difference in how tough the game would be depending on when you played them. Also, Cincinnati without Collaros, Oklahoma without Ryan Broyles, etc. Who they are now is meaningless if you played them a month ago when they were running hot or cold.