milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

OREGON should be in the title game

assuming oregon wins out of course.
    losing the 1st game of the season against the current #1 (and outgaining lsu) and having it mean no title game creates a major deterrent from teams scheduling big non-conference games like that.
    so to keep great games like lsu-oregon osu-texas etc on the schedule the ncaa can't have it be a no-win and a big-lose situation.

so there's a lot of discussion on here, but a simple fact is that a title game without oregon in it isn't nearly as interesting as one with them.

does anyone really want another 9-6 lsu-bama matchup?

brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Bama is the better team and lost in overtime to lsu

Oregon was down 20 pts to lsu before a garbage time td made the score seem closer

jeffdane
    jeffdane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

i kinda hope LSU plays Alabama in a non championship BCS game, just so you are wrong again. Oregon would beat Alabama and probably beat LSU if a rematch occurs. Freshman cost the Ducks against LSU. D thomas back to back fumbles, Cliff Harris was out so a freshman took his place at CB. LSU had under 300 yards in the first game. How did your prediction in the Stanford/Oregon game pan out?

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdane View Post
    i kinda hope LSU plays Alabama in a non championship BCS game, just so you are wrong again. Oregon would beat Alabama and probably beat LSU if a rematch occurs. Freshman cost the Ducks against LSU. D thomas back to back fumbles, Cliff Harris was out so a freshman took his place at CB. LSU had under 300 yards in the first game. How did your prediction in the Stanford/Oregon game pan out?

strange how the perception here is that lsu dominated the game against oregon when it was quite the contrary, oregon lost all 3 of their fumbles vs only 1 fumble lost out of 3 for lsu. and the harris injury cost the ducks 14 points on a fumbled punt returned for a td and a long 3rd down td conversion.

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Who wants to see LSU blowout Oregon again? I think Oak St is better then the Ducks!
    If they play again the Ducks would lose 3 or fumbles again against that NFL D!

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

LSU has already beaten Oregon on a neutral field and Alabama on the road. They're done. They had their chance. Let the OU/OkieSt winner or Clemson/VaTech winner have a shot.

milwaukee mike

here's my point that nobody can argue with if lsu or ok st lose:

oregon will be the only bcs team whose only loss came to a NON-CONFERENCE opponent. so to exclude oregon and allow a different one-loss team in the title game would be punishing oregon for scheduling a tough non-conference game.

you should be REWARDED for scheduling tough non-conference games, not punished for it.

jeffdane

clemson/va tech winner. you seriously want them to play LSU. you think Oklahoma deserves a chance(if they beat OSU)? Texas Tech blew them out.

Lsu still plays Arkansas and prob Georgia. It would be great if lost one of these games.

If Arkansas beats LSU who wins the tiebreaker? I think highest BCS which would be crazy if its Alabama.

I would love to see no undefeated teams,

Alabama, LSu, Arkansas, Oregon, Stanford, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Clemson/Virginia Tech ACC CHAMPIONSHIP winner.

then who gets the nod?

call me crazy but thats 8 teams, and what a playoff that would be. It would only add 2 games to the schedule too.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

Oregon has laid an egg the past few times they have played top teams with quality defenses...Real defenses can shut down that gimmick offense

Nat Champ game last year
    Bowl game vs Ohio St 2 years ago
    Boise St opening game a few years back(Legarette Blount punch game)

jeffdane

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Oregon has laid an egg the past few times they have played top teams with quality defenses...Real defenses can shut down that gimmick offense

Nat Champ game last year
    no disrespect Jake, but last night, there were no gimmicks. They lined up and beat Stanford. The long TD run, by James, was up the middle. The long TD by Thomas, was a perfect screen pass, on 4th down. Chip Kelly is an amazing coach. He is changing on the fly, for the better.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdane View Post
    no disrespect Jake, but last night, there were no gimmicks. They lined up and beat Stanford. The long TD run, by James, was up the middle. The long TD by Thomas, was a perfect screen pass, on 4th down. Chip Kelly is an amazing coach. He is changing on the fly, for the better.
    That is because Stanford, while a good team, doesn't have nearly the recruits or tean speed that Oregon does. Stanford shoul've lost to USC a couple of weeks ago. I know Oregon is very good and I like Chip kelly as well. The fact remains that in every big game Oregon has played the past 3 or 4 years against top teams with quality defenses, the vaunted Oregon offense has been shut down. Stanford is not one of these teams(yes they were ranked high but I don't consider them to be an elite or quality defense by any stretch)

milwaukee mike

Nat Champ game last year
    ok let's recap those 3 games that oregon "laid an egg" in
    natl championship - lost 22-19 to #1 nfl draft pick cam newton averaging 6.2 yds per play to auburns 6.1 yds per play.
    rose bowl vs ohio st - lost 26-17 averaging 4.9 yds per play vs ohio st 4.7 yds per play.
    boise st game - lost 19-8 only averaging 3.5 yds per play to boises 4.1.

so 2 out of those 3 games (and 3 out of 4 if you include this year's lsu game) oregon had MORE yards per play than their opponent. kind of defeats your argument that their offense only works against "fake" defenses instead of real ones (not sure what a fake defense is unless they are using smoke and mirrors instead of 11 players).

i guess "laying an egg" is losing a national championship game on a last second field goal, and outgaining every opponent including your close losses.

WichitaStateFan
    WichitaStateFan's Avatar Become A Pro!

No thanks to Oregon. They lose every time they prantz out of the Pac-12 and play a good team.

5 straight losses.

MichaelWaters
    MichaelWaters's Avatar Become A Pro!

maybe Oregon should be but its going to be LSU-Bama or LSU-Ok St

LSU can still lose a game and go, and Bama will be ahead of Oregon cause they will play UCLA or ASU in the pac-12 title game and thats just weak

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

oregon looks good in conf

out of conf not so much

comala57
    comala57's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Everyone is Forgetting Oklahoma State

Just breezing through games and can score on anyone. Closest game was Texas A&M and won by 1 point. Oregon only gets a chance for BCS if there is a Haley's Comet in December and Jesus returns to watch it with us.

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

We already watched LSU beat Oregon. I don't want to watch them do it again. Wouldn't mind seeing them beat Ok. St. though.

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    here's my point that nobody can argue with if lsu or ok st lose:

oregon will be the only bcs team whose only loss came to a NON-CONFERENCE opponent. so to exclude oregon and allow a different one-loss team in the title game would be punishing oregon for scheduling a tough non-conference game.

you should be REWARDED for scheduling tough non-conference games, not punished for it.
    Normally I would agree with you. But this year is odd, in that Oregon's only loss came to the best team- LSU. We already saw that matchup, and I don't want to see it again. If Oregon lost to say Alabama, then they'd easily be my #1 choice of 1 loss teams to play LSU.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Does Oklahoma leapfrog Oregon with a w over okie st anyway?

Definitely a tough matchup being banged up but don't count out the sooners.

Also as for the argument about scheduling out of conference, we've all argued teams should be rewarded every year, but they aren't. Just the way it is.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

assuming oregon wins out of course. losing the 1st game of the season against the current #1 (and outgaining lsu) and having it mean no title game creates a major deterrent from teams scheduling big non-conference games like that. so to keep great games like lsu-oregon osu-texas etc on the schedule the ncaa can't have it be a no-win and a big-lose situation. so there's a lot of discussion on here, but a simple fact is that a title game without oregon in it isn't nearly as interesting as one with them. does anyone really want another 9-6 lsu-bama matchup?
    LSU has already beaten Alabama and Oregon. We already know LSU is better than those teams. If Oregon can't win on a neutral field against LSU, how are they going to win in New Orleans. If Bama can't beat LSU at home, how are they going to win in New Orleans.

If Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State, shouldn't Oklahoma be the team that gets a chance? OU would have beaten the undefeated #2 team in the country the last game of the year. OU would have a better resume than both Oregon and Alabama, teams that LSU has already beaten. That would give OU wins over Oklahoma State, Texas, K-State, Florida State, Baylor, and Missouri. OU would have a better resume than both Bama and Oregon by far.

OU played Florida State earlier in the year and won on the road. We can't help it they fell apart after that game. OU schedules tough OOC every year, so we "try" to play good teams. Likewise, we won our OOC test on the road and Oregon lost theirs.

Here are some recent OOC opponents OU has faced.

Florida State
    Miami
    Oregon
    Alabama
    UCLA
    Cincinnati (the year they won the Big East)

Next year we play Notre Dame and the year after that we play Tennessee.

OU had three starters out when we lost to Tech. I think it should be about who you beat, not who you lose to. OU has beaten a lot of good teams this year.

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Oklahoma is probably the right choice if you look at it in a vacuum, but it's certainly bad for the future of college football. We have enough garbage games already, and punishing Oregon provides incentive for teams to do their best Boise St impression going forward.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Oklahoma is probably the right choice if you look at it in a vacuum, but it's certainly bad for the future of college football. We have enough garbage games already, and punishing Oregon provides incentive for teams to do their best Boise St impression going forward.
    OU getting in over Oregon would not be punishing Oregon. OU has a tougher schedule. OU plays tough OOC teams too.

LSU already beat Oregon. We already know LSU is better.

Dkid
    Play to win.
    Dkid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 614

Oklahoma shouldn't be in this discussion haha.

Pickma$ter
    Pickma$ter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 403

Oregon has laid an egg the past few times they have played top teams with quality defenses...Real defenses can shut down that gimmick offense Nat Champ game last year Bowl game vs Ohio St 2 years ago Boise St opening game a few years back(Legarette Blount punch game)
    This Guy is right on..sharp.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    LSU has already beaten Alabama and Oregon. We already know LSU is better than those teams. If Oregon can't win on a neutral field against LSU, how are they going to win in New Orleans. If Bama can't beat LSU at home, how are they going to win in New Orleans.

If Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State, shouldn't Oklahoma be the team that gets a chance? OU would have beaten the undefeated #2 team in the country the last game of the year. OU would have a better resume than both Oregon and Alabama, teams that LSU has already beaten. That would give OU wins over Oklahoma State, Texas, K-State, Florida State, Baylor, and Missouri. OU would have a better resume than both Bama and Oregon by far.

OU played Florida State earlier in the year and won on the road. We can't help it they fell apart after that game. OU schedules tough OOC every year, so we "try" to play good teams. Likewise, we won our OOC test on the road and Oregon lost theirs.

Florida State
    Miami
    Oregon
    Alabama
    UCLA

OU had three starters out when we lost to Tech. I think it should be about who you beat, not who you lose to. OU has beaten a lot of good teams this year.
    so under your argument that lsu is better than alabama or oregon because they beat them (even though they were outgained and oregon had replacement players turning the ball over leading to all of lsu's points) then this would also be true - TEXAS TECH IS A BETTER TEAM THAN OKLAHOMA BECAUSE THEY BEAT THEM IN NORMAN

JAKEPEAVY21

ok let's recap those 3 games that oregon "laid an egg" in
    natl championship - lost 22-19 to #1 nfl draft pick cam newton averaging 6.2 yds per play to auburns 6.1 yds per play.
    rose bowl vs ohio st - lost 26-17 averaging 4.9 yds per play vs ohio st 4.7 yds per play.
    boise st game - lost 19-8 only averaging 3.5 yds per play to boises 4.1.

so 2 out of those 3 games (and 3 out of 4 if you include this year's lsu game) oregon had MORE yards per play than their opponent. kind of defeats your argument that their offense only works against "fake" defenses instead of real ones (not sure what a fake defense is unless they are using smoke and mirrors instead of 11 players).

i guess "laying an egg" is losing a national championship game on a last second field goal, and outgaining every opponent including your close losses.
    by "real I mean quality..The point is that Oregon hasn't won or scored nearly half their average against quality defenses. Oregon doesn't deserve to be in Nat Champ game, they will get handled like the last 4 times they have played teams with like talent. Agree to disagree, pal.

Coach Jake
    Winning
    Coach Jake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 480

When I have players that get hurt and never come back in a game, then come right back the week, I know they're wimps. Thomas and Kenjon aren't the real deal, sorry bro. I like them, they're fast, but they're wimps and LSU pounded on em' like they were. Give me some slow overrated opponent so I can make some more money on Oregon.

Elysee26
    Elysee26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 646

assuming oregon wins out of course.
    losing the 1st game of the season against the current #1 (and outgaining lsu) and having it mean no title game creates a major deterrent from teams scheduling big non-conference games like that.
    so to keep great games like lsu-oregon osu-texas etc on the schedule the ncaa can't have it be a no-win and a big-lose situation.

so there's a lot of discussion on here, but a simple fact is that a title game without oregon in it isn't nearly as interesting as one with them.

does anyone really want another 9-6 lsu-bama matchup?
    assuming oregon wins out of course. losing the 1st game of the season against the current #1 (and outgaining lsu) and having it mean no title game creates a major deterrent from teams scheduling big non-conference games like that. so to keep great games like lsu-oregon osu-texas etc on the schedule the ncaa can't have it be a no-win and a big-lose situation. so there's a lot of discussion on here, but a simple fact is that a title game without oregon in it isn't nearly as interesting as one with them. does anyone really want another 9-6 lsu-bama matchup?
    Only people who are interested in the two best teams in country playing........

milwaukee mike

jakepeavy post here if you are still interested in a side wager, otherwise we can wait until it is determined oregon in the bcs

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

I thought LSU/ALABAMA was a snoozer. but i dont know who else LSU should play in the national championship.

I would say clemson, but then they got beat. so i dunno.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post

Florida State
    Miami
    Oregon
    Alabama
    UCLA

Losing to Texas Tech AT HOME ruins this whole argument. Oregon lost to LSU in Dallas, Texas. There is no way Oklahoma is more deserving than Oregon. If Oklahoma St loses either of their final two games and Oregon beats USC and Stanford beats Notre Dame Oregon is the most deserving team besides Alabama. Now Alabama did not win their conference. I don't really believe a team who did not win their conference deserves to be in the title game, but many people do and the BCS will most likely put them in the title game if they win out.

All these people with these Oregon loses every big out of conference game they play argument have a decent point, but so does Oklahoma. Last year they beat UCONN and covered the spread in their BCS game, UCONN, a team that did not deserve a BCS game. Before last year Oklahoma in bowl games:
    2009 season:
    Beat Stanford in the Sun Bowl 31-27, did not cover the spread at -10.5 pts
    2008 season:
    Lost to Florida 24-14 in the title game, did not cover the spread at +4.5 pts
    2007 season:
    Lost to West Virginia 48-28 in the Fiesta Bowl, I don't know what the spread was but I would bet every dollar I have that they did not cover.
    Last edited by Inkwell77; 11-14-11 at 11:31 AM.

JAKEPEAVY21

jakepeavy post here if you are still interested in a side wager, otherwise we can wait until it is determined oregon in the bcs
    I would be interested in the wager you proposed to me at the poker table today. If Oregon makes it to the Nat Champ game, I will take whoever they play at a pick em, correct?

Elysee26
    Elysee26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 646

Damn right!!!! LSU beats another pretender for the 2nd timel Get a life.....

The DiB
    The DiB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    Losing to Texas Tech AT HOME ruins this whole argument. Oregon lost to LSU in Dallas, Texas. There is no way Oklahoma is more deserving than Oregon. If Oklahoma St loses either of their final two games and Oregon beats USC and Stanford beats Notre Dame Oregon is the most deserving team besides Alabama. Now Alabama did not win their conference. I don't really believe a team who did not win their conference deserves to be in the title game, but many people do and the BCS will most likely put them in the title game if they win out.
    I have to disagree with you (this is all friendly chatter). For starters, Bama will not end up in the MNC, simply because the voters will not allow a team who did not win their division get into the MNC. Look at Georgia from 2007. LSU jumped from number 7, past number 4 UGA, up to number 2 after they won the SECCG. You can forget about Bama unless they end up winning the SECCG- which could happen with a LSU loss to Arkansas.

I also think Oklahoma will have a better resume than Oregon. If they beat Oklahoma State, Oklahoma will have wins over the #2, #13, #22, #23, and #25 teams in the BCS. That's a pretty impressive. All those wins came away from home. Oregon meanwhile only has wins over the #9 team in the BCS and and #19 team in the AP. I think Oklahoma has been more battle tested than Oregon. That win over #2 will be fresh in the voters' minds as well.

It really sucks for Oregon that Alabama lost to LSU. I just don't see a rematch of any sort happening. I think they would have a much better chance of getting in the MNC had LSU lost to Alabama. Rematches pretty much make the regular season worthless anyway. You won't see a rematch, just like when Florida jumped Michigan in the final week to get into the MNC in 2006.

milwaukee mike

I would be interested in the wager you proposed to me at the poker table today. If Oregon makes it to the Nat Champ game, I will take whoever they play at a pick em, correct?
    i was saying if oregon makes it to the BCS (not just natl championship) i get oregon as a pick em against whoever they play.
    not sure i can take another 1000 pts of action if they make the championship game, i already have 1000 pending if that happens with ouman.

i am willing to go 500 though on oregon at a pick em if they make the championship OR i can go up to 1000 on oregon at a pick em if they make ANY bcs game (your choice).

123 Last