TheProdigy8199
    TheProdigy8199's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

South Florida vs. Syracuse Write-Up

A heartbreaking loss last night. Georgia Tech took the lead, had momentum to put the game away and a stupid personal foul and terrible coaching call on 4th down in their own territory turned out to be a game changer...and snapped my 7 game winning streak.
    I guess you can't really handicap stupid...anyways back at it tonight.

For tonights match-up you have Big East conference rivals the South Florida Bulls ( 4-4 0-4 Big East ) travelling to the Carrier Dome to face the Syracuse Orange (5-4 1-4 Big East).

The Bulls opened up their season going 4-0 in non-coference play and looked to be on their way to possibly contending for the Big East title. Once conference play began however, this Bulls team just appeared to fall apart...they have dropped the last 4 conference games both SU and ATS. In these games the Bulls were favored by an average of 3.5 points.

Syracuse hasn't done much better. They opened the season 3-0 but have since dropped the last 4 of 5 both SU and ATS...with their lone win and cover coming Oct 21st when they defeated the then nationally ranked WVU team at home in a complete route.

South Florida's QB is B.J. Daniels, a duel threat QB who has thrown for over 2000 yards and 12 touchdowns with 5 INTS, and has rushed for 440 yards and four TDs. Four of his five interceptions though have come over the last 3 games.

Syracuse is led by QB Ryan Nassib who has 18 touchdown passes and 6 INTs. Nassib is completing 65% of his passes to date. Nassib's style is not always smooth, making poor decisions at times but has shown that he has an arm and can complete passes down the field.

It's no secret that both teams are struggling, but both teams have showed flashes of brilliance this season. This game is a must win for both teams. This is their "Big East championship game". With a win, Syracuse becomes bowl eligible, and would love to play in the Pinnacle Bowl in front of their home crowd for the second year in a row. Syracuse has games against Pittsburgh and Cinncinati on deck and I think this may be their last shot to become eligible. USF will need to win this game in order to stay in the hunt for bowl eligibility and with games against Miami, Louisville and WVU left...USF's chances are slowly dwindling so a win on the road is a must tonight.

Syracuse TE Nick Provo has been a breakout star, him and Nassib shredded the WVU defense all night long, marching up and down the field with ease back on Oct 21. However, in the last 2 games Syracuse's offense has struggled, putting up only 10 and 21 points respectively ( both games were on the road). Their senior running back Antoine Baily has amassed just 120 yrds on the ground over the last 2 games after 4 straight 100+ yard performances. On defense though safety Phillip Thomas is tied for second in the nation with 6 INTs this year. And Chandler Jones, if healthy can and will cause problems for any QB on the field.

South Florida has a habit of beating themselves. They blew a 14pt 4th quarter lead last week at Rutgers...they have been outscored 70-42 in the 4th quarter. RB Darell Scott managed to rush for over 100 yrds for the first time in 5 games but has been hampered by injuries this week and is questionable for tonights game. USF's defense is fast and can close on the ball quickly. Linebacker DeDe Lattimore has 40 tackles and 3.5 sacks in the last four games. USF leads the nation in tackles for losses per game at 9 and is second in sacks at 3.5 per game.

It's hard to tell what is going to happen in this game. With both teams struggling it appears to be a toss-up, does the Syracuse team that embarrassed WVU at home show up? Or does USF finally get back on track and play like they did in the beginning of the year?

Syracuse is 4-1 at home this year with the lone loss coming to Rutgers in a game that many say Syracuse should have won. They lost the contest 19-16.

USF doesn't travel well and their record backs that up, having gone 1-3 on the road this season.

In a game that is important for both teams, and probably Syracuse's last shot to become bowl eligible I think they find a way to pull out this game. I don't see how USF should be laying points in any game after how they have played in the last 4.
    Getting 4 points with a team that plays extremely well at home against a team that is terrible on the road seems like the play with the most value. I wouldn't trust USF winning the game straight up nevermind covering any kind of point spread.

I like Syracuse to not only cover the spread, but win this game outright...
    To be on the safe side I'd take Syracuse +3.5 ( buy the hook ) with a small wager on the ML

Syracuse- 27
    USF -24

For all you trend junkie's out there:

* Bulls are 5-1 ATS in their last six meetings.
    * Favorite is 5-1 ATS in their last six meetings.
    * Bulls are 0-6 ATS in their last six conference games.
    * Orange are 1-4 ATS in their last five conference games.

Something worth noting: the 5-1 ATS stat favoring the Bulls, that 1 loss came last year when Syracuse beat USF in South Florida.
    Last edited by TheProdigy8199; 11-11-11 at 11:39 AM.

thfootball
    thfootball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7659

another trend, syracuse is 2-0 on weekdays. I'm thinking of betting a hockey or bball game. With all the games yesterday i did happen to catch that foul made by that g t player that might have been a game changer.

TheProdigy8199

Quote Originally Posted by thfootball View Post
    another trend, syracuse is 2-0 on weekdays. I'm thinking of betting a hockey or bball game. With all the games yesterday i did happen to catch that foul made by that g t player that might have been a game changer.
    I don't blame you, with only one football game on the board tonight, there is probably better value with the other sports, but I only really follow football close enough to cap.

The GT penalty was rough, but those things happen in sports, you can't be on the right side all the time. I cap the games myself and just try to give a some insight here.

Thanks for reading and commenting on my thread. BOL tonight...

SASH
    SASH's Avatar Become A Pro!

Heartbreaking loss??? That game was never even close....well maybe at the beginning but thats it. Va Tech pulled away in the 2nd half. You make it sound like the game came down to the final play(s) or the final drive?? That personal foul penalty happened in the 3rd quarter and they still had to march the ball 75 yards and score on you (in the 3rd Q). If you consider that loss heartbreaking youve got alot of gambling ahead of you kiddo.

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3707

Good post! Cuse plays well at home and USF usually stinks it up on the road! Cuse should cover and probably wins SU.

TheProdigy8199

Quote Originally Posted by SASH View Post
    Heartbreaking loss??? That game was never even close....well maybe at the beginning but thats it. Va Tech pulled away in the 2nd half. You make it sound like the game came down to the final play(s) or the final drive?? That personal foul penalty happened in the 3rd quarter and they still had to march the ball 75 yards and score on you (in the 3rd Q). If you consider that loss heartbreaking youve got alot of gambling ahead of you kiddo.
    I never said that the game came down to the final play or drive, what I said was it was a heartbreaking loss. How can you say that game wasn't even close...everything was moving in GT favor in the second half...they scored 16 unanswered points, had the lead and had VT dead to rights deep in their own territory and getting the ball back with good field position up until the GT defenseman decided to go all Mike Tyson on the QB's helmut...if you recall that play set up what would be VT's go ahead score... now fast forward, down by 2 GT's genius coach decides to go for it on 4th and 3 from their own 30, and fails...that led to another VT touchdown...for a GT backer that pretty much defines heartbreaking, watching a team blow up right in front of your eyes...that penalty was a game-changer and you have to be blind not to see that...

I've been gambling a while and every loss is heartbreaking...no one likes to lose there kiddo... sorry if you don't like my wording...

trendon
    trendon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3681

I am on the under so I enjoy your predicted score. I think South Florida is too mistake prone to put up big numbers but I think their defense is athletic enough to keep Nassib, Provo, and Chew under control.

jimminn
    jimminn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5771

That penalty was the reason GT lost the game . No doubt about it.

bonestock
    bonestock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Quote Originally Posted by SASH View Post
    Were you even watching the game? Attaochu singled handedly lost that game for GT. They had the 4th down sack and change of possession in the redzone in the bag until he threw the punch.

I like 'Cuse and the under tonight.
    Last edited by bonestock; 11-11-11 at 01:48 PM.

baazigar
    baazigar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

you guys think a two team teaser (+6) cuse +9/u58 is safe?

need a strong play to cover $1200 from chargers and gtech last night

TheProdigy8199

Quote Originally Posted by baazigar View Post
    you guys think a two team teaser (+6) cuse +9/u58 is safe?

need a strong play to cover $1200 from chargers and gtech last night
    If you're going to bet that big, I don't think either way you go is a "safe" bet...honestly... these two teams are struggling and no amount an analysis can accurately predict whats going to happen...I'm just assuming the above is whats going to happen based on the research ive done.... USF could come out and blow the doors off of Syracuse or vise versa...it could also turn into a shootout, who knows...

If I was forced to make a call I would lean towards Cuse +9 and the under but with that kind of cash and one game on the board tonight I would wait until tomorrows card before laying down cash like that soleyl on tonights game... more games = better chances for value

baazigar
    baazigar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigy8199 View Post
    If you're going to bet that big, I don't think either way you go is a "safe" bet...honestly... these two teams are struggling and no amount an analysis can accurately predict whats going to happen...I'm just assuming the above is whats going to happen based on the research ive done.... USF could come out and blow the doors off of Syracuse or vise versa...it could also turn into a shootout, who knows...

If I was forced to make a call I would lean towards Cuse +9 and the under but with that kind of cash and one game on the board tonight I would wait until tomorrows card before laying down cash like that soleyl on tonights game... more games = better chances for value
    yeh your def right prod.
    appreciate the feedback. might go small on the teaser i guess

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Cuse ML. Go with the home team , dome will be rocking

Pivotpoint
    Pivotpoint's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3817

Prodigy, nice write up and good luck tonight. I'm bouncing back and forth between either taking Syracuse + 3 or Syracuse ML (+125). Will most likely grab the points.

I'll add a couple points to your write up which had an impact on my decision.

South Florida Special teams are weak. Bulls PK (Bonani)really struggling. Bonani is 4 of last 8 fg attempts and missed a short one last week that cost them the game. Carrier dome has tough site lines and not an easy place to kick, even with no wind. Bulls 107th in returning kickoffs & 80th taking back punts.

SYR needs this 6th win to get a bowl spot and with Cincy and Pitt on deck, this is their best shot.

Tonight is Homecoming at SYR. Friday night under the lights and students and fans should be boozed up and excited. Nice break from those empty seats and lack of interest in mid week MAC games.

rockhardfister
    rockhardfister's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Seriously, Syracuse punter/field kicker Ross Krautman has got to be the worst in the Nation. That scum bag barely averaged 32 yards a punt last week against UCONN and consistenly set them up with great field positon...hence the reason they lost. I believe the same dude kicks fg's too and shanked an easy 34 yarder. His long FG on the year is 35 yards and he is 4/7 between 30-39 yards. This guy is a trainwreck.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Quote Originally Posted by rockhardfister View Post
    Seriously, Syracuse punter/field kicker Ross Krautman has got to be the worst in the Nation. That scum bag barely averaged 32 yards a punt last week against UCONN and consistenly set them up with great field positon...hence the reason they lost. I believe the same dude kicks fg's too and shanked an easy 34 yarder. His long FG on the year is 35 yards and he is 4/7 between 30-39 yards. This guy is a trainwreck.
    And they lost because they let Rutgers return a kick.

Thien Co
    Thien Co's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 240

I'm with you on Syracuse +3.5. Syracuse has lost 2 times consecutively of gambling, this time S should win tonight. On the other hand, SFL is always sucks in gambling. S.FL has 5 times losing streak and tonight would be their six times.

Just small play on Syracuse and Over.

rockhardfister
    rockhardfister's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

...and he shanked an extra point against Toledo too that the refs gave them. That game should have been a LOSS.

trendon

Quote Originally Posted by trendon View Post
    I am on the under so I enjoy your predicted score. I think South Florida is too mistake prone to put up big numbers but I think their defense is athletic enough to keep Nassib, Provo, and Chew under control.
    And there goes that. I hate unders. Yet, I'll take three or four more tomorrow; wash, rinse, repeat.

trendon

I love unders. They are so much fun.