TheProdigy8199
    TheProdigy8199's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

VT vs GT Write-up

Getting away from the MAC tonight and moving the action to the ACC. tonight we have Viriginia Tech ( 8-1 ) travelling to Bobby Dodd Stadium to face Georgia Tech ( 7-2 ).

Georgia Tech who started the season 6-0 were struggling, dropping back to back games ( to Virigina and Miami on the road ) before getting their shit together to pull off the upset and handing a high powered then ranked #4 Clemson team it's first loss of the season.

Virigina Tech has been slowly climbing the ranks and most recently defeated Duke on the road two weeks ago 14-10. Virigina Techs lone loss this season was back in week 4 to Clemson...they lost 23-3.

GT ranks second nationally in rushing averaging about 320 yrds/game while scoring about 37 points per game. The reason they run the ball so much is because they execute the Triple-Option style of play better than any team in the country. for those who don't know what the Triple-Option is, it is a pain in the ass to defend. The QB lines up under center and has 2 RBs at his flank...depending on the way the defender bites, the QB either hands off the ball to either running back or keeps it himself to find the open running lane. Teams are mystified by this type of running attack. 9 times out of 10 GT is going to run the ball, sounds easy to defend right? Just stop the run...not so fast... there are a number of different lanes that can open up for a runner simply because of the way a defender moves, the way an OLman blocks....if the QB sees this and makes the right decision the RB ( or QB ) can get to the second level and take it to the house. GT leads the nation in plays over 20 yrds... GT passing game has also vastly improved...predominately a run oriented offense, if the defense gets complacent and stacks only for the run, QB Tevin Washington has shown a number of times that he can throw the ball downfield, his favorite target is Steven Hill who is averaging over 30 yrds per reception...if this offense is on their game, they are mighty hard to stop especially since the have added the passing element into their play.

VT on the other hand ranks 7th nationally against the run. They also have a more than capable defense. The team is averaging allowing just 298.3 yards per game and 15.4 points per game, ranking No. 12 and No. 6 in the nation respectively. 9 different players for the Hokies have at least 1 interception this year. On offense Virgina Tech's running back David Wilson has rushed for more than 100 yards in six straight games, which is the longest streak of the last 25 yrs.

This game will come down to VT's ability to stop the run, they have the talent and speed to do it but the question is whether or not they can do it successfully. They may rank high in defense but what concerns me about this stat are the opponents that VT has played. They played a close knit-game against Duke, whooped on a lowly Boston College and Wake Forrest squad, beat up on Marshall and Arkansas state... they played a close game against Miami ( which could have gone either way ). The only team that VT has played that has the same type of fire-power as GT is Clemson, and VT lost that game. Defensve stats on paper look good, but playing against offensivly challenged teams slightly inflates those stats...when faced with a high powered offense, can the defense keep up??

GT beat Clemson and VT lost to Clemson then naturally GT should beat VT...thats not the case. Football math doesn't always work...but in this case people will think that since GT did beat Clemson 2 weeks ago that this is a prime "let down" spot. I think to the contrary...GT,on a nationally televised game, at home and coming off the biggest win of the season, in a game that could determine the ACC champion.... I think the crowd will rally behind this team and give them just enough boost to get the win. GT always plays big games well... VT will struggle with the triple-option, and GT will find opening to get the ball downfield through the air.... At a pick'em I have to side with the home team on this one.

GT-24
    VT-23
    Points Awarded:

guy Fawkes gave TheProdigy8199 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Betn247
    Past succes doesnt equal future results
    Betn247's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigy8199 View Post
    Getting away from the MAC tonight and moving the action to the ACC. tonight we have Viriginia Tech ( 8-1 ) travelling to Bobby Dodd Stadium to face Georgia Tech ( 7-2 ).

Georgia Tech who started the season 6-0 were struggling, dropping back to back games ( to Virigina and Miami on the road ) before getting their shit together to pull off the upset and handing a high powered then ranked #4 Clemson team it's first loss of the season.

Virigina Tech has been slowly climbing the ranks and most recently defeated Duke on the road two weeks ago 14-10. Virigina Techs lone loss this season was back in week 4 to Clemson...they lost 23-3.

GT ranks second nationally in rushing averaging about 320 yrds/game while scoring about 37 points per game. The reason they run the ball so much is because they execute the Triple-Option style of play better than any team in the country. for those who don't know what the Triple-Option is, it is a pain in the ass to defend. The QB lines up under center and has 2 RBs at his flank...depending on the way the defender bites, the QB either hands off the ball to either running back or keeps it himself to find the open running lane. Teams are mystified by this type of running attack. 9 times out of 10 GT is going to run the ball, sounds easy to defend right? Just stop the run...not so fast... there are a number of different lanes that can open up for a runner simply because of the way a defender moves, the way an OLman blocks....if the QB sees this and makes the right decision the RB ( or QB ) can get to the second level and take it to the house. GT leads the nation in plays over 20 yrds... GT passing game has also vastly improved...predominately a run oriented offense, if the defense gets complacent and stacks only for the run, QB Tevin Washington has shown a number of times that he can throw the ball downfield, his favorite target is Steven Hill who is averaging over 30 yrds per reception...if this offense is on their game, they are mighty hard to stop especially since the have added the passing element into their play.

VT on the other hand ranks 7th nationally against the run. They also have a more than capable defense. The team is averaging allowing just 298.3 yards per game and 15.4 points per game, ranking No. 12 and No. 6 in the nation respectively. 9 different players for the Hokies have at least 1 interception this year. On offense Virgina Tech's running back David Wilson has rushed for more than 100 yards in six straight games, which is the longest streak of the last 25 yrs.

This game will come down to VT's ability to stop the run, they have the talent and speed to do it but the question is whether or not they can do it successfully. They may rank high in defense but what concerns me about this stat are the opponents that VT has played. They played a close knit-game against Duke, whooped on a lowly Boston College and Wake Forrest squad, beat up on Marshall and Arkansas state... they played a close game against Miami ( which could have gone either way ). The only team that VT has played that has the same type of fire-power as GT is Clemson, and VT lost that game. Defensve stats on paper look good, but playing against offensivly challenged teams slightly inflates those stats...when faced with a high powered offense, can the defense keep up??

GT beat Clemson and VT lost to Clemson then naturally GT should beat VT...thats not the case. Football math doesn't always work...but in this case people will think that since GT did beat Clemson 2 weeks ago that this is a prime "let down" spot. I think to the contrary...GT,on a nationally televised game, at home and coming off the biggest win of the season, in a game that could determine the ACC champion.... I think the crowd will rally behind this team and give them just enough boost to get the win. GT always plays big games well... VT will struggle with the triple-option, and GT will find opening to get the ball downfield through the air.... At a pick'em I have to side with the home team on this one.

GT-24
    VT-23
    lean....

thfootball
    thfootball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7659

gt has home field advantage, v t on 2nd game road trip. both like to score, and v t doesn't like teams to score too high on them. They seem even in quality of teams they played. Haven't seen either team play. But leaning towards g t. Either Straight Up or Over bet.

Dom177
    Dom177's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1210

I agree with you on this one. I've been playin around with numbers and stats the last few weeks and its been working out good for me so I chose GT ml for tonight. Also got them in a teaser at +7 with the chargers. Good luck man, great write up.

Bigtoilet
    Bigtoilet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom177 View Post
    I agree with you on this one. I've been playin around with numbers and stats the last few weeks and its been working out good for me so I chose GT ml for tonight. Also got them in a teaser at +7 with the chargers. Good luck man, great write up.
    Agreed, another GREAT write up by Prodigy. How can anyone not play GT after reading that. This guy is on his shit.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

good write-up, but is this an actual play for you? with your final score, seems more of a lean?

Fettirooski
    Fettirooski's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Quote Originally Posted by thfootball View Post
    gt has home field advantage, v t on 2nd game road trip. both like to score, and v t doesn't like teams to score too high on them. They seem even in quality of teams they played. Haven't seen either team play. But leaning towards g t. Either Straight Up or Over bet.
    The hokies are Coming off of a bye week where they have had an entire week and a half to rest-up and then prepare for the triple-option offense. They have shifted around their defense, moving their best pass-rusher to DT, and moving a run-stopping CB to the whip position. VT's gap-stop defense is going to match-up well for them against the Yellow Jackets Tonight.

Fettirooski

\GT passing game has also vastly improved...predominately a run oriented offense, if the defense gets complacent and stacks only for the run, QB Tevin Washington has shown a number of times that he can throw the ball downfield,

FADE. Washington can't throw the ball at all, much less against Jayron Hosley and Kyle Fuller, two NFL caliber corners. Hosley lead the NCAA in interceptions last year as a sophomore.

If you fade Virginia Tech on THURSDAY NIGHTS you will LOSE. 17-5 all-time on Thursday nights, and 7-2 on AWAY games on Thurs. nights. VT has won 11 straight ACC away games.

Virginia Tech -1.

unique1
    unique1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Glad I teased it! Great write up but I agree gt qb has no arm!

TheProdigy8199

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    good write-up, but is this an actual play for you? with your final score, seems more of a lean?
    I did put some money down on this game...nothing huge, just enough to make it interesting. I never do a write-up or post a play that I don't play myself... You could call it a lean or whatever...I don't think this will be a one sided blow-out one way or the other...VT could win the game...but my feeling is GT pulls it out...

TheProdigy8199

Quote Originally Posted by Fettirooski View Post
    FADE. Washington can't throw the ball at all, much less against Jayron Hosley and Kyle Fuller, two NFL caliber corners. Hosley lead the NCAA in interceptions last year as a sophomore.

If you fade Virginia Tech on THURSDAY NIGHTS you will LOSE. 17-5 all-time on Thursday nights, and 7-2 on AWAY games on Thurs. nights. VT has won 11 straight ACC away games.

Virginia Tech -1.
    It's not a fade on VT, its a play on GT...
    I agree with you, the stats all side with VT, 17-5 here, 702 there, 11 straight away games, etc.... you make some good points, VT could win the game...but I'm favoring GT

Fettirooski

It's just the eye-test man. Watch these two teams and I don't see how you think GT is a better team no matter where they play. VT has the #1 rusher in the country (edit: 2nd place but only 13 yards back), and still a balanced offense.

TheProdigy8199

I never said they were a better team...just said that they would win tonight...

thfootball

What to watch, college on internet, nfl on tv, upstairs or downstairs????

Bigtoilet
    Bigtoilet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by thfootball View Post
    What to watch, college on internet, nfl on tv, upstairs or downstairs????
    I don't see how watching college/NFL/Internet is a question?? You got a channel changer? Upstairs or downstairs is the only question here.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Fettirooski

Coach Jake
    Winning
    Coach Jake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 480

The hokies are Coming off of a bye week where they have had an entire week and a half to rest-up and then prepare for the triple-option offense. They have shifted around their defense, moving their best pass-rusher to DT, and moving a run-stopping CB to the whip position. VT's gap-stop defense is going to match-up well for them against the Yellow Jackets Tonight.
    This post has the most crucial info....I love fast run stopping cbs vs these option type offenses. And I agree I thought Washington could throw downfield until that Virginia game...

Fettirooski

Thanks, are you playing this game?

guy Fawkes
    guy Fawkes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Great write up Prodigy. I'm on the other side for this one, but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to do this research and sharing it with the SBR community.

thfootball

tough one, but i did have the over. I don't be bet big like some others on here. good night looks like 3-0 with a 2 game parlay with houston and san diego. Almost back to where i was last from saturday's killer day. I wouldn't have changed my thoughts on g t to win.

good luck upcoming games.

thfootball

actually better wait until that houston game is over before jumping at a 3-0 night, yikes!!!

Fettirooski

GT-24
    VT-23

Tough shit man. Knew the Hokies had this one locked up though. Hopefully we will pick together on some games this weekend. I made a $400 play on this game tonight so I'll probably play a few

thfootball

parlay--houston to cover and oakland/sd to be over 40.5. nfl game was a bit of a sweater

TheProdigy8199

Tough shit man. Knew the Hokies had this one locked up though. Hopefully we will pick together on some games this weekend. I made a $400 play on this game tonight so I'll probably play a few
    A punch to the helmut and a terrible coaching call on 4th and 3 from their own 30... you can't really handicap stupid. Congrats to all VT backers...they did look good in the game...I'll back back later with some insight on tonights game