guy Fawkes
    guy Fawkes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Ball State @ Ohio - Fawkes Write Up

Season Record 8-3-0 +32.6u

HEY SBR Forums! For the first time this NCAAF season I'm all in. Too much value and too many lines begging to get nailed! Before we dig in I was just going to answer a couple PMs I received from other posters. My record is 8-3 on picks I post within my own write ups, but it was pointed out I only have 2 wrong (those being the Cinci/Miami-Ohio Over and Arkansas State TT Over), but there was another bet I posted with:
    Quote Originally Posted by guy Fawkes View Post
    8.5 pt pleaser 1u to win 110u.
    Pending 10/1/11 1:00pm College Football 137 Cincinnati U -23½ * vs Miami Ohio WIN
    Pending 10/1/11 8:00pm College Football 155 Alabama -13 * vs Florida WIN
    Pending 10/1/11 3:30pm College Football 177 Auburn pk * vs South Carolina WIN
    Pending 10/1/11 8:00pm College Football 187 Nebraska -½ * vs Wisconsin LOSS
    I certainly would have counted it and the units as a win if it had come through so it is only fair it also be a posted lost. Thank you to those of you watching out for me and double-checking me, but I do plan to continue showing it as a loss. Alright, with that business taken care of, lets turn research into cash!

Ball State @ Ohio

Ball State
    is coming off of 2 hard losses this week (3-3 overall) against Oklahoma and Temple where Ball State has scored a total of 6 points combined. Ball State is putting up an average of 19.3 points per game, but when Ball State has put up over 7 points they have won the game. They are extremely susceptible to a team with rushing defense. Ball State has not won a game this season without putting up a minimum of 160 yards of rushing. The Cardinals are missing 2 of their returning (and arguably best) running backs in David Brown (RB jr) and Cory Sykes (RB sr) whom averaged over 5.5 yards per carry last season. Ball State is also missing 2 starting cornerbacks in Quintin Cooper (CB so) and Odis Prunty (CB so).

Statistics In the last two games, Keith Wenning (QB so) has thrown 5 interceptions on 65 attempts, completed 47.7% passes and boasts a 62.3 passer-rating, with his longest pass being 20 yards without any TDs. On the season Wenning has been sacked 7 times in 6 games and thrown 7 TDs. Wenning is throwing at a 64.6% completion rate with a 119.1 passer-rating on the overall for the season. Jahwan Edwards (RB fr) has 88 attempts on the year for 420 yards averaging 4.8 yards, but has a long of 23 yards. Despite this, Edwards has 6 rushing TDs. In the last 2 weeks, Edwards is a different story having 32 attempts for 119 yards and averaging 2.7 yards per carry. Steven Schott (K sr) has made 6 of 8 attempts this year, but has a long of 38 yards. Ball State is getting 4.6 yards per play and giving up 6.5 yards per play, gaining only 0.27 points per play and allowing a massive 0.47 points per play to opponents and the defense is allowing 47.7% of 3rd down conversions and a 62.9% completion rate. Ball State is giving up an average of 474.3 yards per game and on the receiving end of an average of 0.8 turnovers, 10th worst in the nation on both accounts.

Ohio is a home team beast this year scoring an average of 30.3 points per game and giving up a measly 6.7 points per game while in Peden Stadium. The Bobcats have lost two games to Rutgers and Buffalo by a combined 13 points. Ohio is 3-0 against Ball State since 1999 and 2-1 ATS. This is also Ohio's homecoming game and Ohio will be looking to impress.

Statistics Tyler Tettleton (QB so) is throwing for 63.3% completions this season for 1395 yards (232.5 per game) and boasts a 142.9 passer-rating on the season while throwing for 13 TDs and only 2 interceptions. Tettleton has legs though, with 205 rushing yards on the season and 4 rushing TDs. Ohio uses a rotating back system with Ryan Boykin (RB so) and Donte Harden (RB sr) who are averaging 4.1 yards per carry on 78 attempts and 6.0 yards per carry on 36 attempts respectively. Ohio is averaging 190 yards on the ground per game and 449.6 yards per game, 26th overall in the NCAA. Matt Weller (K jr) has a boot, making 12/14 attempted field goals with a long of 46 yards. Weller is averaging a 42 yard long in every game with at least 1 attempts. Ohio has made 47.4% of its 3rd down conversions this year averaging 5.9 yards per play and 0.44 points per play. The Bobcat defense is allowing a completion percentage of 51.7% on the season and only allowing 37.2% of opponents 3rd down conversions. Ohio is causing an average of 2.6 turnovers per game, tied for 12th best in the nation alongside LSU.

Personal Notes

Ohio needs to put two hands on the ball when running, fumbles killed their chances against Rutgers and Buffalo. I don't think Ball State has the athleticism to cause these in the same way. If Ohio ends up on the right side of the turnover margin (and the certainly should), they have a chance to run away with this one early.

Ball State is still suffering a hangover from Oklahoma and Temple is proof of that. Combining for 6 points in 2 weeks will have an affect on the mindset of the Cardinal offense in this one.

Ohio will be looking to rattle Wenning early and will be very aggressive in the secondary looking for interceptions.

Given that this is Ohio's homecoming I look for the starters to remain in despite a lead and to continue to drive up the score into the fourth quarter.

Field goals should be the name of the game for the spread in this one and with Ohio's Weller that should certainly fly in favor of the Bobcats

My Picks

Ohio -14 @ 3u

Will likely be taking the TT over as it comes out later this week

Thank you for reading and as always please feel free to post anything and everything. I read all comments and continue to check picks against any new data presented here. This is a write-up and contains some of the information I use, but not all for the sake of time. I hope this information is useful, despite which way the information is used. Again, Thank you for reading!
    Last edited by guy Fawkes; 10-11-11 at 04:20 AM.

Halbertt
    Halbertt's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is very informative post by you and helpful for me.

guy Fawkes

You are very welcome Halbertt! I'm glad it could help you out and congratulations on your first post! Welcome to SBR

AB Rookie
    AB Rookie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thank you for the valuable information. I am brand new to this site. This is my first post. I started playing college and NFL games last season. Didn't do so hot but couldn't wait to do it again this season. At this point i'm betting small but if I continue to improve I hope to increase my bets. Last Saturday was my best day to date. Most of the information I used was gathered from this website. I'm amazed at how knowledgeable the members of this forum (yourself included) are. I ask you guys to please bare with me. I may ask a silly question or two but we all to start somewhere. I'll be checking in regularly and look forward to more useful information this week and another winning weekend. Thanks again to all of you.

spladle08
    spladle08's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here Fawkes, I never finished this but I think coupled with your info it makes it much more clear, thanks for the write-up man.

Ball State @ Ohio -14 (Leaning Ball State but not even 51% sold)
    I have heard Ohio has a prolific offense let’s see what the numbers say.
    (My laptop internet isn’t working on location so I am using my other comp from 1904 to research this and it’s a total fail but meh well passes time)
    Ball state PF/PA 19/34 with a tougher schedule facing OU, Army, USF, and Temple
    Ohio PF/PA 33/19 with their quality opponents being limited to Rutgers. They did crush a few lesser teams, but their loss to Buffalo and 7pt win over Kent State in their last 2 outings stand out.
    I don’t see any real statistical advantage, Ball State has looked horrible the last 2 weeks losing to OU 62-6 and Temple 42-0 (on a 9pt line), these 2 losses were unexpected after they trounced Army 48-21 and beat a buffalo team that actually has beaten Ohio U, (I really don’t want to invest the time but I need to see why the ups and downs for Ball State, this has also got me wondering who Temple plays this week) I can’t find anything, if nobody shows me the last 2 weeks of play for Ohio, I think it’s an easy cover but those games are ugly, State struggles to stay competitive against any kind of pass defense especially on the road where they only average 4 more yards passing (139) than rushing (135) but remember their only 2 road games were against S. Florida and OU. Their overall numbers aren’t a ton higher than this averaging 137 on the ground and 197 through the air overall, so as you can see rushing really hasn’t taken a hit but passing has, once again I think this can be attributed to quality of road opponents, but Ohio U has been allowing 126yards on the ground and only 96 yards through the air, so look for this trend of running stats staying consistent to continue for Ball State but if they can’t get the ball moving in the air their chances don’t look good.
    Stat:
    in their 3 wins they have passed for 324-army, 226-Buffalo, 173-Indiana
    In their 3 losses they have thrown for 148 S Florida 160 Temple, and 84 OU
    Im wondering if these passing woes was the angle Fawkes wanted to play …I gotta look more with a better connection. I’ll check it when I get home, this is tough.

Bullet Kays
    Bullet Kays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1555

Hey Fawkes I'm new to this forum but I've been reading your write ups and tailed you on Az state and Ark state last week, just wanted to say I appreciate the hard work and your write ups are great.

guy Fawkes

Quote Originally Posted by AB Rookie View Post
    Thank you for the valuable information. I am brand new to this site. This is my first post. I started playing college and NFL games last season. Didn't do so hot but couldn't wait to do it again this season. At this point i'm betting small but if I continue to improve I hope to increase my bets. Last Saturday was my best day to date. Most of the information I used was gathered from this website. I'm amazed at how knowledgeable the members of this forum (yourself included) are. I ask you guys to please bare with me. I may ask a silly question or two but we all to start somewhere. I'll be checking in regularly and look forward to more useful information this week and another winning weekend. Thanks again to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Kays View Post
    Hey Fawkes I'm new to this forum but I've been reading your write ups and tailed you on Az state and Ark state last week, just wanted to say I appreciate the hard work and your write ups are great.
    Thanks a ton to both of you! I'm glad my write ups have been helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know. Good luck to you this weekend and I hope you cash on everything!

On another note I've been working on my Purdue @ Penn State write up and I just can't find anything significant to post. Every which way I try and work my numbers I'm coming up with Purdue 6-8 and Penn State 17-23 points. The only thing I can contribute is that Purdue will have plenty of chances to get that "lucky" spot and get an extra 3 or 7 points. I was fortunate enough to get Purdue +14 early (bought the hook), but as the books have gone down to 12-12.5 its too close to call. I do have a feeling Purdue is the bet here, but without any statistics or research to back it up I can't ask or recommend anyone bet on a "feeling" I have.

If anyone is interested in what I'm looking at, here is the latest bit I've drawn up (sorry for the poor formatting):

PURDUE Off
    minn - 45/34.6 = 1.301
    notre - 10/21 = 0.476
    rice - 22/33.2 = 0.663
    midten - 27/36.2 = 0.746

79.7 % opp avg score = .797 * 7.25 = 5.78

Penn State Off

iowa - 13/25.2 = 0.516
    indiana - 16/28.4 = 0.563
    e mich - 34/35.2 = 0.966
    temple - 14/12 = 1.167

80.3 % opp avg score = .803 * 25.75 = 20.68

Purdue Def

minn - 17/16.8 = 1.012
    notre - 38/32.3 = 1.176
    rice - 24/23.2 = 1.034
    midten - 24/30.2 = 0.795

100.4% opp avg score = 1.004 * 19.25 = 19.33

Penn State Def

Iowa - 3/30 = 0.1
    indiana - 10/20.4 = 0.490
    e mich - 6/14 = 0.429
    temple - 10/28.8 = 0.347

34.2% opp avg score = 0.342 * 19 = 6.50

Likely Purdue Score = 6.14

Likely Penn Score = 20.00

**Note: I've removed South East Missouri State for Purdue's calculations and I've removed Alabama and Indiana State for Penn State's calculations.

Again to both the posters in this thread and everyone that hasn't posted, thank you for reading!
    Last edited by guy Fawkes; 10-12-11 at 01:47 PM.

Bullet Kays
    Bullet Kays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1555

You're welcome. I was leaning Purdue as well, but it looks like the line is down to +11.5 now so I might stay away. The under might be worth looking at

guy Fawkes

I could not have been any more incorrect in my evaluation of Ohio. I overestimated the offense and thought the defense was...well a little defensive. I apologize to anyone that followed me on this one. I'm getting slaughtered in everything today, next week may be a Fawkes bye week.

New Season Record 8-4-0 +29.3u

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

We still got Utah State!