zuluhead1``1
    zuluhead1``1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Biggest Choke Teams

Who are the biggest choke teams of the last 20 years in SBR's opinion? What teams have been the biggest let downs, consistently, vs preseason projections?

My top 3:
    Virginia Tech
    Ohio State (even before all this crap, they always managed to lose a game or two to knock them out of NC contention)
    Michigan

Honerable mentions: USC, Post-Stallings/Pre-Saban Alabama

Also, which traditional choker stumbles first: Michigan, Clemson, or Georgia Tech?

rainmaker82
    rainmaker82's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

How is Georgia not on this list?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

You can say that about any team. What about Oklahoma in BCS Games?

zuluhead1``1

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker82 View Post
    How is Georgia not on this list?
    Holy shit, you are right. Good call.

As far as Oklahoma is concerned, choking in the NC sucks, but it isn't near as bad as choking your way out of the game itself. All VT has to do is run the table in the ACC. The fuckin' ACC...

zuluhead1``1

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    You can say that about any team. What about Oklahoma in BCS Games?
    Also, there are teams that choke on such a consistent basis. Like, no matter what Lou Holtz says, we all know ND is winning a championship any time soon. Same with VT. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they will nit be in a NC game in the next 5 years.

rainmaker82

I agree that Oklahoma has struggled in BCS games, but why is considered choke? I mean let's look at these losses. Boise State played an Oklahoma team that had booted its starting QB off the team, AD was hurt all season. It's amazing OU made it to the Fiesta Bowl, and Boise had one of the best teams they've ever had. Nat'l Championship against USC, ass kicking for OU, but USC was great that year don't consider it a choke just the better team won. Fiesta Bowl against West Virginia, I think OU was unprepared for sure and would consider this a choke. The Nat'l championship against LSU. A close game in LSU's backyard, again not a choke. I know the expectations are always high at schools like Oklahoma, but you can't win them all.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

LOL, according to OP's logic any team that loses a single game in the season should be considered a choker then. I guess find the teams that have gone undefeated in the past 10 years and those are the non-chokers.

zuluhead1``1

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    LOL, according to OP's logic any team that loses a single game in the season should be considered a choker then. I guess find the teams that have gone undefeated in the past 10 years and those are the non-chokers.

No, nobody gives a shit if Southern Miss loses a game. The teams I am talking about are teams that are supposed to be "National Championship" teams. Like VT. Tech fans are told every year that this is their year. And they always manage to lose to James Madison or Boston college or some other team that has no business beating them to push them out of contention. With the talent and recruiting base that Tech has, I think it should be just as easy for them to run the table as Boise. Clemson and GT always seem to lose a small game as soon as they hit the top 25. I can't remeber the last time GT was I the top 25 for 3 consecutive weeks.

And Georgia. Preseason #1, Stafford, Moreno, Jesus Christ. How do you mess that up?

rainmaker82

Quote Originally Posted by zuluhead1``1 View Post
    No, nobody gives a shit if Southern Miss loses a game. The teams I am talking about are teams that are supposed to be "National Championship" teams. Like VT. Tech fans are told every year that this is their year. And they always manage to lose to James Madison or Boston college or some other team that has no business beating them to push them out of contention. With the talent and recruiting base that Tech has, I think it should be just as easy for them to run the table as Boise. Clemson and GT always seem to lose a small game as soon as they hit the top 25. I can't remeber the last time GT was I the top 25 for 3 consecutive weeks.

And Georgia. Preseason #1, Stafford, Moreno, Jesus Christ. How do you mess that up?
    I'll take Who is Mark Richt for $1,000 Alex.

zuluhead1``1

Also, that train was derailed pretty early by Mr. Coach Saban.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Bosox: all time grand-chokers

zuluhead1``1

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Bosox: all time grand-chokers