Racks on Racks
    Racks on Racks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23

Michigan -5, why so low???

Can someone please tell me why Michigan, coming off of a 58-0 victory, is only -5 against a decent-to-bad Northwestern team. Northwestern played Illinois well, but lets be real, the men in orange are nothing special.

I am planning on pounding Michigan -5, but am curious if I am missing something...

mattmc419
    mattmc419's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

1st road game for us. I was getting used to waking up on Saturdays and going to the game lol

I'm sure that played into the line, but Michigan has looked good. The defense continues to make timely plays.

GO BLUE!

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Also, Dan Persa just returned to action last week for Northwestern from offseason surgery on his achilles. He makes NW a much more dangerous team.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

michigan finally a road game and persa being the qb. leaning to northwestern

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Persa is boss

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5421

Well Michigan has a pretty good quarterback too. I see them easily winning by at least 5.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Isn't Persa hurt again?

Don't f\*\*k with +5.5 home dogs.

JMF2479
    JMF2479's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

he's listed as questionable.

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

First road game, at night, w/ Persa back. You still can't trust this Michigan defense, yet.

Racks on Racks

Good points. I still like Michigan, but not as much. Hard for me to overlook at 58-0 victory, no matter who is on the bad end of it...

Duby
    Duby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4602

Also Michigan playing in Michigan St in two weeks. Possible look ahead spot.

spladle08
    spladle08's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am not reading the other posts in this thread just my 2cents, public over-values Persa in this spot, and undervalues michigan after last years let-downs with a Denard-Rushing only offense, I see the line needing to be closer to 13, but meh if its at -5 Im looking it up now and locking it in.... michigan scores mid 30's NW is lucky to get 20... should be easy win with their improved D

alpha968
    alpha968's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the line is certainly going to move - I still want to play Northwestern, but I think I'm better off waiting for the line to move.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Persa upgraded to probable, Northwestern is "decent-to-GOOD" with Persa at home.

dume walker
    dume walker's Avatar Become A Pro!

Even though Persa may start he is still having issues with his Achilles tendon. He pulled himself -- with his coach's approval -- in the 4Q of the Illinois game after he had taken a hard hit and his Achilles started to tighten up. And this was a tight game that Illinois won in the last 13 seconds. I'm not down on Persa at all. He's looking to protect himself so he doesn't get lost for the season. But when a QB benches himself in the 4Q of a tight game against an in-state rival, that tells me he is not 100% and not someone you want to lean too heavily on to beat the spread for you.

As far as Michigan looking ahead to MSU... I don't think so. Seems to me Hoke has the team buying into his program. After years of dismal output -- and with Ohio State on the ropes -- Michigan wants a Big Ten title bad, and it seems now Wisconsin is the only team standing in their way. I think Hoke will be reminding the team all week that this is their first road game and they have to prove they can win on someone else's turf. I think that will work against Blue letting down.

Some other factors to consider... Robinson had a great completion percentage last game and that's something the team had been looking to improve upon. He also only ran the ball 6 carries. Michigan was looking to take the running pressure off of him and spread it around to their other backs. And while it was against a reeling Minnesota team they nevertheless are showing more balance.

While NW is a scrappy team that battles hard, they don't have the depth that first rate teams do. As a consequence they tend to let down in the 4Q. This seems to be what happened in the Illinois game. All factors to take into consideration on this match-up.

Nittany Lion
    Nittany Lion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 675

As soon as I saw this line I liked it too, but I'm not sure what to think of Northwestern yet. I thought for sure last week Illinois would hammer them but Illinois barely won which was surprising to me since Northwestern barely beat a bad Boston College team, and also lost to Army 21-14....yet Northwestern scored 35 against Illinois....that is just the craziness of college football I guess.

We all know Michigan is going to put up a good amount of points, but I just wonder how improved their defense is since the only decent team Michigan has played is Notre Dame. Also, first road game for Michigan so it'll be interesting to see how they do. I'm definitely going to put some on this game though, I might tease it or something. Michigan's offense should be too much for Northwestern to cover even with Persa.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Nittany Lion View Post
    As soon as I saw this line I liked it too, but I'm not sure what to think of Northwestern yet. I thought for sure last week Illinois would hammer them but Illinois barely won which was surprising to me since Northwestern barely beat a bad Boston College team, and also lost to Army 21-14....yet Northwestern scored 35 against Illinois....that is just the craziness of college football I guess.

We all know Michigan is going to put up a good amount of points, but I just wonder how improved their defense is since the only decent team Michigan has played is Notre Dame. Also, first road game for Michigan so it'll be interesting to see how they do. I'm definitely going to put some on this game though, I might tease it or something. Michigan's offense should be too much for Northwestern to cover even with Persa.
    No, the Illinois game was the first game Persa played in this year, and if he would have finished the game, NW probably would have won outright. He makes THAT much of a difference because the backups blow.

gshock1
    gshock1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 750

Is Persa out again?

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by gshock1 View Post
    Is Persa out again?
    No, probable

gshock1

Lots of value on NW

mdfizzle
    mdfizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Persa did not look great in his first start. Regardless if he stayed in, they would still have lost. Their defense is dreadful. I think Michigan covers easily.

travismcilrath
    travismcilrath's Avatar Become A Pro!

michigan rolls

drfunkmaster
    printing it
    drfunkmaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1065

Give me northwestern

Nittany Lion

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    No, the Illinois game was the first game Persa played in this year, and if he would have finished the game, NW probably would have won outright. He makes THAT much of a difference because the backups blow.

Oh ok, I didn't watch the game or highlights so didn't realize he played.

Racks on Racks

Up to -7.5 at my book... I think I will take it up to -9.5 but no more than that. Sure won't play it as hard as I would have played a -5.

Uncle Harv
    Uncle Harv's Avatar Become A Pro!

Persa is good, and the awful stadium they have at Northwestern is really tough for road teams to get up for.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

It's simple... Michigan hasn't proven anything yet.... FIRST ROAD TEST!!! Taking Northwestern 5 Units!! Anyone can play in Ann Arbor with 110,000 strong supporting you... now do it at the other college stadium. BIG TEST!
    Last edited by TheMoneyShot; 10-04-11 at 04:03 PM.

gshock1

NW starting RB is out for season.

Racks on Racks

I took Michigan -6.5

BOL

eldian
    eldian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1062

is persa playing?

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Persa is playing and that guy is dangerous!

Nittany Lion

I'm on Michigan as well in teasers:

4 Team 10 Point Teaser
    Illinois -14 teased to -4
    Notre Dame -16 teased to -6
    Iowa +4 teased to +14
    Michigan -7 teased to +3

Risk 200 to win 260

3 Team 10 Point Teaser
    Michigan -7 to +3
    Iowa +4 to +14
    Illinois -14.5 to -4.5

Risk 400 to win 348

eldian
    eldian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1062

so line movement was because of nw's rb out?

Racks on Racks

Cash it Boys!!