Pickem2win
    Pickem2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4912

Why do gamblers bet on iffy teams??

Im just scratching my head...If you have two evenly matched teams then why bet on the game? Stress? I just dont understand when there are 60+ games each week why anyone would bet on a game where the outcome is questionable...examples: USC vs ASU, Wash vs Cal, FSU vs Clemson, Ok State Vs TAM, ND vs Pitt...Why risk your money (unless your teasing) to bet on a game where either team could win? Even tonites game with UCF vs BYU is an example of a game I couldnt cap...I teased it with a +7 and it worked out but why bet the game straight up? Im new on this board and so far am 8-3-1 ytd so Im not perfect (three overs burned me--never again!) but is it really that hard to pass over games which you shouldnt bet?

Just curious....

daneault23
    daneault23's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4955

People like to look smart when they are right about a "supposed" close game. Gamblers are very competitive in nature and are always trying to one up each other. They want to look like they are smarter than they are when they win, and then hide and run away when they are wrong.

sneakerhead
    I NEED MONEY
    sneakerhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1417

Simple answer, most gamblers are degens

CBASS
    BUCK FAMA
    CBASS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

The teams you consider 'iffy' may show 'value' to others. It all depends on the methods you use for capping, because everyone is different.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickem2win View Post
    Why do gamblers bet on iffy teams??
    Some of what you say is true. People take chances on coinflips all the time. However, just because you don't see an advantage on a particular side/total doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Maybe someone has a very good reason to bet a game where you see nothing...

Brutus84
    Brutus84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

I can't wait to see your non iffy selections.... I put a small wager on ucf at +3 and don't see that as an iffy game. Everything in the game I expected to happen minus the specials teams mistake and obviously the scoreboard. UCF is a better team and getting points. I don't view that as an iffy game. I do view possibly a game like okie state a toss up hence I decided not to bet it. GL, can't wait to see your non iffy games today.

brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

I don't get it either

it's even worse in the NFL which the the ultimate parity league and you got people thinking they have a huge edge on Vegas in some game between 2 shtty teams that will likely be a 3 point game either way anyways

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

thursday night road teams are bad news in general, ucf is not one i would consider. i didn't bet the game, but for a team like ucf to go into utah under thursday night lights is not easy even if they have more raw skill. these are 18 year old kids so you need to take this into consideration and not if they ran a 4.2 40 yard dash.

Brutus84
    Brutus84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

I don't think anyone that bet UCF made a wager because 1 player runs a 4.3 40. Most people will bet SEC games that can go either way. UCF wins the game most likely minus special teams mistakes. They were the more dominant team. People bet on basketball games where the best teams still lose 25 games and to many scrub teams as well. Bet who you want or who you think you have a good grasp on. Brahma you cant even talk most of your air bets are -400 juice.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

simply because if you bet a team where a distinguished missmatch is more visible (lets say a 10-point spread) then you are put in the position of either having to give up a lot of points (not knowing if the favorite turns the ball over 4 times), or bet on a shitty team.

if you can find an edge amongst close odds and exploit it then that is safer.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

So what are the "gimmie" games?

I'll pick every single cfb game every week not knowing one player on the team and I will still have an edge.

Bunch of the games you posted have a super edge, you take what's given to you.

brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    So what are the "gimmie" games? .

Baylor - 20 at home against an atrocious rice team - baylor will win that by 30+

Boise - 28 against a bad tulsa team - Boise will win that by 35-40+. Boise is the best covering team in sports

Gtech - 6.5 is a good play as well

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

The problem is that most bettors have to have a little action on televised games. They simply can not resist. That is why 85% of the bettors out there are losers. The fact is that some people in here tend to exagerate, or just flat out lie about their records. When it comes down to wagering real money in large amounts, few people in here do that. Some people in here simply never wager real money at all, and just post in here to try to prove how much they think they know. They have to stroke their macho ego's.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    Baylor - 20 at home against an atrocious rice team - baylor will win that by 30+

Boise - 28 against a bad tulsa team - Boise will win that by 35-40+. Boise is the best covering team in sports

Gtech - 6.5 is a good play as well
    So much for Boise but at least you got 2 out of 3 right with a squeaker.