VegasLeak
    VegasLeak's Avatar Become A Pro!

Alabama vs Penn State: Big Game Big Implications

ALABAMA VS PENN STATE

It’s a shame that the folks that schedule these times for college football games couldn’t have put a little more space between the Alabama-Penn State matchup and the South Carolina-Georgia game. Both matchups look to be very promising for their entertainment value and feature intriguing matchups, but these two games kick off and hour apart. Alabama and Penn State kickoff first, and this is the game that has big BCS title game implications. This game is also special, because Alabama has not traveled to State College since 1989 when they defeated the Nittany Lions by 1 point on a blocked field goal in the closing seconds. Obviously, a lot has changed with both programs since then and these, but teams have squared off two more times since Joe Paterno’s ill-fated last second field goal attempt with Alabama emerging victorious both times. That means that Alabama comes into this game with a three game winning streak in the series, and I don’t expect for that streak to end tomorrow. In fact, Alabama has won 4 of the last 5 meetings versus Penn State with the Nittany Lions last win coming in1990.

The money I am seeing on Alabama is making dig deeper into this game. The latest game between these two teams was defined by Alabama’s domination of the Nittany Lions in a 24-3 rout and this year Alabama is returning 10 starters from that defense to build upon their dominating performance from a year ago. These are also the same 10 starters returning that held Michigan State scoreless through three quarters during the Capital One Bowl in a 49-7 victory, as well. Penn State is 2-2 versus SEC schools over the last 5 years, but none of those wins came against the SEC schools that were contending for national titles the way this Alabama team is this year. Defense is winning this game.

Some many question how Alabama will be able to replace their triple threat on offense from a year ago with the departure of QB Greg McElroy RB Mark Ingram and WR Julio Jones, but the combination of A.J. McCarron, Trent Richardson, and Marquis Maze will prove to be potent enough. Each player was responsible for touchdowns in last week’s tune up game versus Kent State and Penn State will not be able to simply lineup and overpower Alabama’s defense like they did versus Indiana State. Two quarterbacks saw game action last week with both of them only account for 114 yards through the air and neither one threw a touchdown pass during the game.

Alabama has performed extremely well in non conference games over the past three years going 9-1 against the spread in those situations and they are 7-2 against the spread in September games over the past three years. Penn State is 2-5 against the spread in games in which they have been labeled the underdog over the past three years and 4-10 against the spread in home games over that same time frame. Overall, Alabama dominated the Nittany Lions last year and not much has really changed in this matchup besides the venue. When you consider the track record of dominating performances turned in by Alabama’s defense last year this 10 point spread offered for this game should be covered with ease.
    TAKE ALABAMA -10

Good Luck,
    VegasLeak

mstone897
    mstone897's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

Good write up. With you on Alabama -10. And couldn't agree more about timing of games. ESPN wanted to give 2 has-beens prime time all to themselves I guess.

VegasLeak

Quote Originally Posted by mstone897 View Post
    Good write up. With you on Alabama -10. And couldn't agree more about timing of games. ESPN wanted to give 2 has-beens prime time all to themselves I guess.
    Yeah I am not a fan of the timing of some of the marquee matchups this year. Hopefully this will be a blow out early so I can switch to the other.

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

Nice writeup...agreed. I am looking at the Crimson Tide hard right now. I am confident in their defense, however, I would like for them to make a decision at QB with McCarron and stick with him. I don't like when teams use two QB's. Someone needs to just take the reigns and go and MaCararon looks like the guy. Good luck!

msj0001
    msj0001's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 445

Saban said on ESPN yesterday that MaCararon is going to be the starter/QB for this game because he can handle the pressure and crowd better with his experience

VegasLeak

Hopefully this Bama offense will open up the 2nd half. All short passes. The long ball will be open the 2nd half if Bama's QB can get it there.