ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post
    What are you talking about? The NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA sports have absolutely no competition and do quite well offering a product that a majority are very happy with. This isn't quite the same as a business selling a tangible product to consumers or even a service oriented business. As soon as someone gets together a better business plan and a more entertaining product they will then be able to compete with Zuffa and the UFC. But I wouldn't hold my breath
    I'm talking about having to watch this watered down, commercialized, Ultimate Wrestling Championship. Dana wants this shit on ESPN. Bottom line.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status
    sportsfanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

don't blame dana. blame fedor for getting destroyed by silva which finished strikeforce.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic View Post
    don't blame dana. blame fedor for getting destroyed by silva which finished strikeforce.
    Ubereem is a bigger draw nowadays anyway.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5626

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Half the fights are staged anyway. With this development now 90% of the fights we be staged.
    Pavy, I hope that comment was to get someone to take the bait and not a serious accusation. If so, consider me the fish. If not, you're a dummy.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

this is great, fedor would get exposed (o well he is exposed already) and we'll see who is the best of best.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    I'm talking about having to watch this watered down, commercialized, Ultimate Wrestling Championship. Dana wants this shit on ESPN. Bottom line.
    Well we'll have to disagree about the final product Dana is putting out there because I am quite pleased with it but I understand not everyone will be. Im not sure what you think is watered down about the UFC, is it the fighters or what? As for Dana wanting the UFC on ESPN, this is a given. There would be huge TV contracts and mass publicity which would not only fill their pockets but also ensure the survival of the UFC which is the name of the game for any business. They're not doing anything wrong, they're just doing business.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

This is a bad thing?

I'd rather pay $100 a month for a billion channels with every UFC/Strikeforce/Bellator event included --- than paying $100 a month for a billion channels and having to shell out an additional $60 to watch UFC PPV's.

Dana White and Zuffa want their product on cable? Great. That kind of deal will only happen if the said network inherits the cards we get on PPV. Zuffa wins. A network (should) win. The fans win.

By all means, let's get that deal on the table!

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by iQon View Post
    This is a bad thing?

I'd rather pay $100 a month for a billion channels with every UFC/Strikeforce/Bellator event included --- than paying $100 a month for a billion channels and having to shell out an additional $60 to watch UFC PPV's.

Dana White and Zuffa want their product on cable? Great. That kind of deal will only happen if the said network inherits the cards we get on PPV. Zuffa wins. A network (should) win. The fans win.

By all means, let's get that deal on the table!
    The ESPN shit will be the other Bullshit. TUF and fight nite. Still will have to pay $55 for ppv. I promise you.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

It looks like the debate is over. UFC>Strikeforce.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Dream is a bootleg Pride. This is not a merger. Will be no Strikeforce soon. Dana said the same bullshit when he bought Pride. He said he wasn't gonna change a thing. Yeah ok. He will pluck the few best fighters from Stikeforce, and the rest will be looking for jobs.
    This much is true, and its the terrible part for sure

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think it's the same as the pride situation. Dana's always said he's got everyone he wants at the UFC. Other than Fedor he's taken everyone he's gone after. Any top fighter at Strikeforce would have eventually been grabbed by the UFC. Pride had great fighters the UFC needed to make more money. They probably have to honor certain contracts, but after the contracts are done I'm not sure what will happen. It doesn't make sense that they purchased Strikeforce when Dana's taken all the fighters. Realistically, they weren't really a competitor to the UFC.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

We all know Dana is full of shit and never keeps a word he says. Just like his stupid Pride/Chuck liddell bet. Just a cocky bitch that's lucky someone else had the money to float this thing.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    We all know Dana is full of shit and never keeps a word he says. Just like his stupid Pride/Chuck liddell bet. Just a cocky bitch that's lucky someone else had the money to float this thing.
    Yep. Just like every other promoter out there, this is totally true. He also never fulfilled his promise to make it up to the fans, after the Anderson Silva fight.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

OMG, never saw this news coming.

UFC buys WEC
    UFC buys PRIDE
    UFC does backroom deal with "t-shirt guy" kills Afliction
    UFC buys StrikeForce

i guess Bellator is next

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

The ESPN shit will be the other Bullshit. TUF and fight nite. Still will have to pay $55 for ppv. I promise you.
    You are probably right in the short term. Suppose the UFC really did get as big as the NFL or MLB; don't you think the NFL would put every playoff game on PPV if they thought they could make more money doing it?

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    You are probably right in the short term. Suppose the UFC really did get as big as the NFL or MLB; don't you think the NFL would put every playoff game on PPV if they thought they could make more money doing it?
    Absolutely, positively they would. They are business geniuses. But they make sooooo much more money from TV deals with Fox and CBS (or nbc, not sure) that it's sick. CBS/NBC was going to pay the owners BILLIONS for 2011 if there was a lockout in return for a few extra years on the contract. That means it was worth it for them to pay the NFL billions of dollars in a lockout year in which they possibly won't televise any games to ensure that they would have that contract for a few more years.

This was the main leverage the owners had on the players until the federal judge ruled against it.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

i watched bellator for 1st time today...pretty good fights

rocky502
    rocky502's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 225

Why do people have such a hard-on for Overeem. He really doesn't have a lot of good wins over big name opponents. Good wins: Belfort in 2006, 2005, Kharitonov (1-1), other wins over decent fighters in Pride. When he faced the better UFC guys: Rua (0-2 KO twice), Nogueira (0-2 TKO and decision), Liddell (0-1 KO), and also lost to strikeforce HW tourney players Werdum by sub and Kharitonov by KO. Hasn't lost since 2007 but his wins are against Buentello 29-13 with few significant wins, Lee 1-2, Mark Hunt 6-7, "big Daddy" Goodridge 23-22-1, Sylvester 11-3 w/ no significant wins, James "I lost to Kimbo Slice and Butterbean" Thompson" 15-14, Fujita 15-9, Brett Rogers 11-2 (he's average at best with a big power punch but one dimensional), and Duffee 6-2.

It will be interesting to see how the Strikeforce HW tourney ends up. But some people talk like this guy is gonna come in and mop up the heavyweight division. I guess I am not that impressed with his resume. We will wait and see.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by rocky502 View Post
    Why do people have such a hard-on for Overeem. He really doesn't have a lot of good wins over big name opponents. Good wins: Belfort in 2006, 2005, Kharitonov (1-1), other wins over decent fighters in Pride. When he faced the better UFC guys: Rua (0-2 KO twice), Nogueira (0-2 TKO and decision), Liddell (0-1 KO), and also lost to strikeforce HW tourney players Werdum by sub and Kharitonov by KO. Hasn't lost since 2007 but his wins are against Buentello 29-13 with few significant wins, Lee 1-2, Mark Hunt 6-7, "big Daddy" Goodridge 23-22-1, Sylvester 11-3 w/ no significant wins, James "I lost to Kimbo Slice and Butterbean" Thompson" 15-14, Fujita 15-9, Brett Rogers 11-2 (he's average at best with a big power punch but one dimensional), and Duffee 6-2.

It will be interesting to see how the Strikeforce HW tourney ends up. But some people talk like this guy is gonna come in and mop up the heavyweight division. I guess I am not that impressed with his resume. We will wait and see.
    Your problem is that your a nooob. You can't go on Sherdog fight finder and think you know someones career. Anybody that has been watchin mma knows that Ubereem is a wrecking machine. K1 included.

kiefynugs
    Update your status
    kiefynugs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Quote Originally Posted by rocky502 View Post

there's some give and take there. Seems like he's performing a lot better at HW than he did at LHW, but he's definitely not the world beater everybody makes him out to be. It's just because he's a successful HW striker

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Half the fights are staged anyway. With this development now 90% of the fights we be staged.
    Correct.
    Sharp post.
    Only difference between UFC and WWE is that the WWE admits it's staged.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by kiefynugs View Post
    there's some give and take there. Seems like he's performing a lot better at HW than he did at LHW, but he's definitely not the world beater everybody makes him out to be. It's just because he's a successful HW striker
    That's the whole attraction. You don't normally see K1 caliber striking from a heavyweight.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by kiefynugs View Post
    Another big thing that adds to Ubereems mystic, is what he has done in K1. Wrecking people. Breaking bones with single kicks. The steroids made him into a beast. He does have a suspect chin though. But, easily the most exciting heavyweight fighter.

Yi
    Yi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Hopefully this means we can have "Grand Prix" type tournament in the UFC in the future.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Another big thing that adds to Ubereems mystic, is what he has done in K1. Wrecking people. Breaking bones with single kicks. The steroids made him into a beast. He does have a suspect chin though. But, easily the most exciting heavyweight fighter.
    He beat no one good, can't wait to see his ass kicked again.

Hopefully he doesen't run away like against Kharitonov.

xelance
    xelance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

On a semi-related note, this deal may give Zuffa a monopoly on the video game front as well. UFC undisputed was challenged a bit by EA MMA, which had mainly Strikeforce fighters and was a better game overall IMO than UFC's. EA MMA could be done after this deal though. If they want, they have complete control over the MMA video game market and could deny licensing of any of their fighters to software developers (see Madden Franchise). Monopoly, monopoly boys...thats the name of the game in big business.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

ufc in a monopoly

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

I believe if it was financially worthwhile, Zuffa would not have folded Pride and would have kept running shows in Japan for the time being. However, company was a mess and I thought they were having trouble with Japaneese sponsorship and TV. I would expect this arrangement to operate more like UFC-WEC did for a significant period of time. Eventually though, UFC and Strikeforce will merge.

IMO this is great. Hopefully we will see unified rules in Strikefore now, get an announcing crew who knows what they are talking about and run a more efficient business. Too many Strikeforce fighters are on the self for inexplainable periods of time. Hopefully, this will change. The fact that they had to push back GP QF's to June is ridiculous. Plus, the live experience could be improved under Zuffa. Better undercards. Better fan experience at the fights. When I went to the Strikeforce weigh ins in East Rutherford, you could clearly tell that they were second rate. Very disorganized.

The UFC wants to be the MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL of MMA. I dont see how this is a bad thing. There are still other football, baseball, basketball and hockey leagues around the world but it is widely acepted that those four leages are the top of the food chain. There will always be regional promotions (similar to minor leagues) in the United States and I would think promotions will continue to exist out of the uSA. But, UFC will be able to pay fighters the most and provide the best incentives even more so then they already do. If the fighters are not happy with the UFC, it is on them to change it. If the consumer is not happy with the UFC, dont support it.

Comparisons to WWE are clueless.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    ufc in a monopoly
    Then sue them

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

In Japan, the organized crime situation is a bit different. The UFC didn't want to deal with that, so that was one big element in the decision to fold Pride.

(Not that the UFC are angels. It's just they didn't want to do dirty stuff THAT way (Yakuza, etc.))

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Are we going to threads like Bellator > UFC emerge now?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Correct.
    Sharp post.
    Only difference between UFC and WWE is that the WWE admits it's staged.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    Are we going to threads like Bellator > UFC emerge now?
    ha no doubt!

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

The UFC is always going to have competition. Even if they buy up every MMA org in the world. That is because MMA is sports entertainment and they are in constant competition not only with other MMA orgs, but with other sports organizations and other forms of entertainment. Most people do not have unlimited recourses. If you are also a basketball fan living in NJ, you may have to choose between buying tickets to see the UFC in Newark next weekend, or seeing the NCAA regionals in Newark the next weekend.

It's not like the UFC product will go to shit because they have bought up all other major MMA orgs. Because if it does, people will find something else to entertain them.

ttrace35

Shark Fights>UFC

First 12345 Last