purecarnagge
    purecarnagge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

UFC fights getting kind of boring?

3 years ago these fights use to be insane now everyone's too scared to give up an advantage and actually come at eachother...

I'm not sure if I'll buy another fight card ever again...

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Put more money on them, it will become a lot more entertaining..

I also think the fighters are becoming more well-rounded.

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Quote Originally Posted by purecarnagge View Post
    3 years ago these fights use to be insane now everyone's too scared to give up an advantage and actually come at eachother...

People still purchase PPV's?

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Personally I think it's a combination of expanding too quickly on the number of fighters now in the UFC, and pumping out PPV's every 3 weeks or so. Times are a changing in the UFC, as the old guard such as Liddell, Machida, Penn, Courture, etc. are on the way out, and the young guns such as Jones, Velasquez, Rua etc. are taking over. The only guys still on their game from the "old" stable are Silva and GSP. But your point is valid as Dana is trying to make the UFC a global brand and he puts cards in places like Australia, Dubai, Germany, etc. and then he tries to put home town boys on the cards to make them more appealing. The problem is he's watering down his product. People want to see the headliners, not the clowns.

RollPlayer
    RollPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Some of them are getting kind of boring, I agree. Who wants to see a card headlined by Diego Sanchez again Martin Kampman? I know it's not a pay per view, but it seems like they are putting on events now just for the sake of putting on events

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

was it that bad? i was going to go to a local bar but i over slept. Guys i know who are die hard ufc ppv buyers said they will never buy a card with fitch im main event again... was it that bad?
    Guys fighting not to lose if you lose one fight depending on who you are can get you cut...alot of politics in what guys get what fights ,see Antonio Mckee cut after his first fight and trust me Mckee is a bad ass volkman was just a terrible matchup for him first fight in + first fight ufc jitters. Guys are afraid to lose its making for boring fights at times.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Jones isn't boring.

Rua isn't a "young gun".

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

I've been saying it for a while but mma purists/geeks will argue forever how great these matches are.

UFC probably has 3-5 good match ups a Year. If that.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    Jones isn't boring.

Rua isn't a "young gun".

I don't think Jones is boring either....and Rua is 29 and has been in the UFC spotlight for a pretty short time versus guys like GSP/Silva...so he's still quite young compared to others

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Clay guida is one of the only fighters that is actually fun to watch. Dude is high intensity the whole way.

Today ufc kinda sucks compared to the old ufc back in the mid 90's. Back then there were no gloves, no weight classes, and you could wear a fukkin karate uniform if u wanted. Also back then I don't think the refs could stop the fights. It was either stopped by tapout or throwing the towel.

I miss the old ufc but I guess the current ufc is better than nothing. If it wasn't for Dana white the ufc would be dead

PingPong
    I need a job
    PingPong's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    If it wasn't for Dana white the ufc would be dead
    lol i think you meant the fertittas. strikeforce>>ufc for the time being

Rod1010
    Rod1010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Your not an MMA fan its pretty simple . Go watch WWE its like a movie !!!!! All these noobs wanting brawls all the time should just stop watching . Its MMA.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

TreeRollins is gonna tear into you guys when he reads this thread. He is the biggest MMA nut out there and he gets upset whenever somebody says that MMA is not the greatest sport ever.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

DaNa white owed me money

the fukk will pay

purecarnagge

Quote Originally Posted by Rod1010 View Post
    Your not an MMA fan its pretty simple . Go watch WWE its like a movie !!!!! All these noobs wanting brawls all the time should just stop watching . Its MMA.
    No i want people to fight instead of playing scared to lose and being a pussy. We should honestly start a list of people who run around like pussies in the middle of the octagon. As far fetching as it sounds its actually fairly accurate.

Fitch is not an exciting type of fight to watch. I watched this card as a bar for that very reason. Overall Dana White wants exciting fights, but his product isn't really delivering. He'll he can't even keep BJ Penn on a treadmill ....

clarkd32
    clarkd32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

can't stand to watch fitch or gsp actually anymore.. each of them would rather take the opponent down and ride them out the rest of the round. ever since gsp got knocked out by serra he is afraid to engage (except the last fight vs koschek who might be the only person with better wrestling). fitch has never really done anything but take guys down.

i'd add shields to the list but he usually at least goes for submissions and tries to finish guys off. gsp couldn't even finish hardy. the gsp that fought trigg back in the day is what i miss.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    I don't think Jones is boring either....and Rua is 29 and has been in the UFC spotlight for a pretty short time versus guys like GSP/Silva...so he's still quite young compared to others
    Rua is more of a legend than AS and GSP... And UFC has alot of the same type of generic fighters...

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5626

This is a very interesting thread. I agree with the OP. I truly enjoy UFC but the problem is not watering the product down, it's that the fighters themselves are far too adept at the ground game. It's become a wrestling match. To watch Jon Fitch fight, who is a highly skileld martial artist, is b-o-r-i-n-g and he is one of the best. But he's been trained to fight this way and it's been successful for him. He had won 8 decisions in a row before drawing with Penn.

In short, rule changes are necessary. Less ground, more pound.

loudpacmanjones
    SBR's RESIDENT ASSHOLE
    loudpacmanjones's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Its called mixed martial arts for a reason. If you want a standup fight watch k1 kickboxing or boxing.

I just know not to waste money on a ppv with a Jon fitch main event lol.

Wreckloose
    Wreckloose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17284

Probably just a bad card but I watch a lot less than I used to, but I still read to see what happened.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Too much point fighting and wrestling. Still entertaining though. Certain fighters are atleast.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

JesseS
    JesseS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

One event a month and only the best fights

purecarnagge

comparing the UFC to strikeforce is a bad idea. Strikeforce matchups are far from remotely even. Its one good MMA fighter vs some scrub 80% of the time.

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well..Sometimes it is foolish to think the best fights are on Dana`s big pay per view events that are scheduled weeks in advance.

You can sometimes catch some very entertaining fights during the week between no names on versus, spike and the Bodog fight cards etc. Its not always the big name cards that are entertaining its the no names with the hearts of lions who each think they can win when they fight each other. Nothing like watching exciting nuts like Clay the Carpenter Guida though.

I also love to watch the women bouts when both girls are evenly matched. I miss SWEET SWEET Gina Carano hmmthupthupthup hmmm..That fuken bitch Cyborg santos beat her so bad Gina aint fought since..that I know of

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

comparing the UFC to strikeforce is a bad idea. Strikeforce matchups are far from remotely even. Its one good MMA fighter vs some scrub 80% of the time.
    Only because strikeforce is only just starting out. Ufc was the same way in the beginning. Strikeforce's heavyweight tournament is better than anything the ufc has put out in years. Dana has too many shows. If he had one every few months, they would be more entertaining.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Fights in general are becoming more competitive. If you want to see some mismatches which result in exciting face planting knock outs watch a Bellator "super fight" or a Strikeforce card.

purecarnagge

I want to see two guys who aren't afraid to scrap and dont spend 2+ minutes of the round circling each other.

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    Fights in general are becoming more competitive. If you want to see some mismatches which result in exciting face planting knock outs watch a Bellator "super fight" or a Strikeforce card.
    Good point I forgot about the Bellator fights. Cool thing about them is they are on TV and you can bet them too!

tcmoody99
    tcmoody99's Avatar Become A Pro!

Their should be no ties in fighting

shaggy3000
    shaggy3000's Avatar Become A Pro!

its rigged now to keep fan favorites fighting. if they went at it all out they would have no clue who would win, so how could they build up a huge drawing card. if you watched last night you would believe what im saying. Penn got his ass beat the final round and they called it a draw. fans like to see him fight so they gave him the draw. he said at the end of the fight he didnt win or deserve to win.

you think this would be a billion dollar sport if they just let everyone go at it as hard as they can? how could they build hype for a fight if they had a bunch of upsets all the time?

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Its a combination of fighters getting more well rounded and the influx of people in the MMA game. Fighters can have one bad fight and they are cut, back in the day the UFC gave guys more of a chance to prove themselves today thats not the case, there are too many good fighters with good records to keep a guy around who isn't a big name and has one or two losses in a row.

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

I don't think the UFC is getting boring. I think it's all about the matchmaking. If you put 2 guys in there who love to stand and bang then you're probably going to get an exciting fight. If you get someone in there who is intent on grinding out decisions then it might be boring. We need better matchmaking. I really believe Joe Silva is losing his touch.

Bigmikesm
    Bigmikesm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1690

Saturday's ppv sucked. Glad I didnt pay for it.

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think the ufc cuts way too many ppl, but thats just me. theres no excuse every card cant look like ufc 117. but as long as ppl keep buying weak ppvs, they ufc will keep turning them out

1234 ... Last