Riot
    Riot's Avatar Become A Pro!

UFC: Fight for the Troops 2 - Full Card.

UFC Fight for the troops 2 ... how fitting ... Im a fighter, im a soldier, and im back! In the time that i have been gone, i came home from Iraq, broke my knee cap sparring, entered our post Combatives tournament and won. I won 6 matches with 6 different submissions and went to compete at the All-Army tournament where i lost right before the semi finals, on points, at the last second to a very large Special Forces guy. Very heartbreaking, but alas, I feel pretty good about this card. Im going to give my breakdown of each fight, plus my pick. At the end, i will tell you the fights i think carry real value. Lets get started.

Yves Edwards vs. Cody McKenzie

Not a tough fight to call IMO. McKenzie is a one trick pony and Yves is a seasoned veteran. He is better then McKenzie at all aspects of the game. From what i have seen of McKenzie, hes Jujitsu isnt that solid. He has one good move and hes good at pulling it off. Id imagine most of the people he has fought do not gameplan like Edwards does. He has 56 fights and only been submitted 4 times. I like McKenzie, i hope he rounds out his game, but short of a miracle, he may be getting tapped out himself tonight after attempting a poor takedown Edwards Via submission RND 1

DaMarques Johnson vs. Michael Guymon]

Loser goes home. Both are strong and very similar. Guymon has more power in his strikes while Johnson is a little bit more technical with his strikes. Guymon will def be trying to defend submissions coming off 2 submission losses in his past 3 fights, i think Johnson capitalizes with strikes and ends this one .
    Johnson Via TKO RND 2

Waylon Lowe vs. Willamy Freire

Alot of people are impressed with Freire BJJ game, he also has good strikes to with it. That being said, like most Brazilian hot shots, he has been in Brazil fighting less then quality opponents. Now he is going to be engaged in a fight with an American Wrestler. Lowe was a very accomplished D2 Wrestler and i see him controlling this fight on the ground, playing it safe with small punches , borderline stalling and he gets the decision here.

Lowe Via Dec

Amilcar Alves vs. Charlie Brenneman
    Another good Wrestler Vs Striker. Brenneman is not an amazingly accomplished wrestler, but the former Pro Vs Joes Season 1 winner, was still good college wrestler. He is a smart guy who will follow fellow wrestler Mike Pierces gameplan. If he can avoid the big shots, he can grab a leg, i think if he gets the leg 3 times, this fight is going to end in his favor.

Brenneman Via Dec

Mike Thomas Brown vs. Rani Yahya
    Fighters like Rani Yahya drive me nuts. A guy excels so much at one thing, he spends all his time perfecting that one thing and comes up short in every other aspect of his game. Yahya has a complete BJJ game. His transition-Submission Attempt-Transition-Submission style on the ground is like eye candy for BJJ enthusiast. That being said, thats all he has. His take downs resemble Maia Vs Silva. It took him about 12 attempts at running in and try for a takedown before he got Mark Hominick down. That doesnt help him vrs a well rounded and heavy handed Mike Brown who is fighting t stay relevant. I think this one ends in the 1st!

Brown Via TKO Rnd 1

Will Campuzano vs. Chris Cariaso
    This looks like another roster adjuster for Zuffa. Two men enter, one man leaves.. for good. Cariaso is 6 inches shorter then Campuzano. However, Campuzano is used to be shorter then his opponents, so it shouldnt be to big of a disadvantage. Campuano is a very entertaining fighter with wide varity of strikes, but i think Cariaso can hurt him with leg strikers and slow him down, i think he is more active as this fight goes on and he wears down Campuzano. The judges note Cariasos strong finish and award him the decision in this very close, highly entertaining fight.

Cariaso Via Dec

Cole Miller vs. Matt Wiman
    I hate Matt Wiman. The guy is a complete tool. That being said, i dont completely believe in Cole Millers BJJ. When it comes to MMA BJJ, he is a poor mans Dustin Hazelett. He has flashy submissions, crafty transtions, but neither are Damian Maia. (I do like Hazelett and i hope he evens his game out and makes a comeback) I think Wiman will force Miller into his game, Out Strike him on the feet, smother him on the ground and avoid submissions. I foresee a frustrated Miller walking around the cage in disbelief after this one.

Wiman Via Dec

Patrick Barry vs. Joey Beltran
    Im going to try and not be biased here, but warning, i love Barry. We have similar personalities, which is rare for MMA fighters. When he basically beat Dan Evensen with leg kicks.. in under 3 mins .... i was hooked. He has some big flaws on the ground, thats no secret. I see Beltran going for takedowns early in hopes of controlling the fight in the ground. I think Barry is going to show some flashes of takedown defense (maybe that Lesnar Cross training will payoff) I think Beltran may score a takedown eventually, but he will work for it, and pay for it. I think he abandons this gameplan and tries to swing in the 2nd, costing him dearly.

Barry Via TKO RND 2

Mark Hominick vs. George Roop
    This is a fight of similar fighters with different techniques. Roop is scrappy and tough to finish with strikes. Hominick is a very technical striker with an underrated knowledge of submissions. Both guys have a weakness in ther submission defense, but Hominick has the know-how to slap on an armbar if he gets his opponent dazed, or a triangle if he gets an over aggressive fighter in his guard. I think Hominick outclasses Roop in every area, he porbably wont get a TKO, but a rocked submission or a dominate Decision are likely.

Hominick Via Dec

Matt Mitrione vs. Tim Hague
    Hague was brought back for this fight. The UFC views him as means of letting Mitrione work out his kinks. I think this could potentially backfire as Hague is bigger then Mitrione and if Mitrione lets him hang around to long, he could find himself caught between the cage and Hagues 265pnd frame. That being said, Mitrione is a training partner of Barry, Barry already prepared for Hague once, so Mitrione should have the slight advantage there (as well as Barry fighting a previously Mitrione opponent in Beltran). If Barry is in his corner, it could help out Mitrione even more. Ill take him, but i wouldnt bet on it.

Mitrione Via Dec

Melvin Guillard vs. Evan Dunham
    If the Guillard who fought Jeremy Stephens shows up, he has no chance. It was an ugly fight where Guillard felt stand up pressure from Stephens and was afraid to pull the trigger. He won that fight, but it was very controversial. Dunham may not be as high powered standing up as Guillard, but hes no slouch and can stand until the time is right for him to make his move. Guillard wont be attempting takedowns like Sherk did, so Dunham will have to find an alternative way to get his submission. I think that time will be when Guillard starts to get in a rhythm on his feet, he stays inside just a sec to long and Dunham hits the takedown, goes for an arm-triangle choke. Guillard attempts to muscle out of it and Dunham rotates over and secures a guillotine.

Dunham Via 2nd Rd Submission

Thats the card, but not all matchups and lines are created equally, so here is what i think some of the safer bets are .

YVES EDWARDS -275
    MATT WIMANN +130
    DAMARQUES JOHNSON -130
    EVAN DUNHAM -240
    Also
    HAGUE WINS BY KO,TKO, OR DQ +400 looks like it may be worth a small wager, just incase Mitrione tires out and gets trapped.

Best of luck guys !

Im also placing prop bets on
    UFC-FN-23: "FIGHT OF THE NIGHT" AWARD WINNER: CHRIS CARIASO VS. WILL CAMPUZANO +1250
    UFC-FN-23: "KO OF THE NIGHT" AWARD WINNER: PAT BARRY +600
    UFC-FN-23: "SUB OF THE NIGHT" AWARD WINNER YVES EDWARDS+1100
    Last edited by Riot; 01-22-11 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added prop bets

The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Good to see you back. Nice break downs of the fights. I have Hague and was looking at KO prop too. I think Mitrione is a little over-rated at this point.

Riot

he just seems to me like the kinda guy who would play dead while getting pummeled, that way the ref would stop it and he wouldnt have to fight thru the pain and exhaust. Good to be back !

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Hague has actually lost about 10lbs tho so wont necessarily be the bigger fighter.

But Im liking your picks alot, I've got similar predictions as I have prop bets on Brenneman by dec, Lowe by dec, Mitrione by dec, Campuzano/Cariaso to decision and Hominick in a lot of plays.

GL tonight

Riot

I forgot to add Hominick as one of my plays, but he is VERY solid, especially by decision. I think he will get inthere and outclass his opponent and not try to finish him, just because he doesnt need to risk getting caught on the off chance he can finish Roop

Riot

9-2 tonight and i hit my +1100 bet! Good night indeed.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by Riot View Post
    9-2 tonight and i hit my +1100 bet! Good night indeed.
    very nice

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Gd job Riot!

Straight Cash
    Straight Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Great job! Melvin killed one of my good parlays...

Riot

Thanks Guys. I think overall we all made some good money! Cant wait for the next fight.