I thought this was a good article re: MMA judging

I am sure most of you have read it, but here it is:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...g-in-MMA-29239

I like Hamilton's system.

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Quote Originally Posted by terpkeg View Post
    I am sure most of you have read it, but here it is: http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...g-in-MMA-29239 I like Hamilton's system.
    Very good read, thanks!

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Good article. I don't think Hamilton's half point system would help at all in the current environment. The half point system may actually confuse ignorant judges even more and would probably award the wrong fighter even more points at times. I think the current system is fine, we just need better judges and they need to score 10-10, 10-8 and even 10-7 rounds more liberally.

Another phenomenon I found interesting is that I noticed that many posters on these forums sided and agreed with the judges on some of the should be clear injustices pointed out in the article. Specifically, many posters here agree with Edgar over Penn in their first fight, and Rampage over Machida in their recent fight.

99Boxster
    99Boxster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4394

Machida shouldve won the rampage fight. i'm still bitter over losing money on that, and haing all my boys laugh at me. ones that didnt have any money on it. also they were all at my house pulling for rampage, cause they just think he's a funny guy...and on top of that didnt even chip in on the HD ppv or beer. or anything for that matter. then they had the audacity to scream and cheer when rampage got the decision waaahaha waaaah somebody call the waaaahmbulance for me and bring me a waaaahmburger!!!!!!!!

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

The Machida by decision support group meets at 12 AM pacific standard time

bracerman
    bracerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3404

Thanks for the article terpkeg.

Through my jaded Canadian eyes, I might have chosen the continuing battle to get sanctioned as story of the year, but agreed something needs to be done about the judging. As Dana tweeted "Robbed! Judging fukking SUCKS!!!!"

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good post glad to see someone's trying to do something

kball15
    kball15's Avatar Become A Pro!

liked but, but did not love it

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Great read, thanks. Doc Hamilton is one of the few good judges out there and deserves to be applauded for his consistency. I like his proposed system, though it is more complex (especially with criteria like refs needing to notify judges of near submissions). I also agree with bogbat that awarding 10-10s and 10-8s more liberally is a simpler reform that would avert many of these judging travesties, but one problem is more draws would occur. I still prefer the Pride system of judging that focused on the fight in its entirety, rather than round by round.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Quote Originally Posted by 99Boxster View Post
    Machida shouldve won the rampage fight. i'm still bitter over losing money on that, and haing all my boys laugh at me. ones that didnt have any money on it. also they were all at my house pulling for rampage, cause they just think he's a funny guy...and on top of that didnt even chip in on the HD ppv or beer. or anything for that matter. then they had the audacity to scream and cheer when rampage got the decision waaahaha waaaah somebody call the waaaahmbulance for me and bring me a waaaahmburger!!!!!!!!

you gotta get new friends man--they should at least split the PPV, HD is what 55 bucks? By the way my friends piss me off like that too. I'm a huge BJ Penn fan and they all hate him. I feel like knocking their asses out when he's losing and they're cheering. Long story short I watch BJ Penn fights by myself

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Kizer is a joke. I thought the "damage weighed the heaviest" critia was interesting, it would've given Penn the first fight against GSP as well as a lot of other "losses"

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Quote Originally Posted by 99Boxster View Post
    When I buy a PPV my friends contribute so much I usually end up making a profit. lol

bracerman
    bracerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3404

Quote Originally Posted by stefan084 View Post

you gotta get new friends man--they should at least split the PPV, HD is what 55 bucks?
    Nothing worse than hosting and paying more than your fair share. We're usually about 10 guys and I always kick in at least $10, sometimes $15 because I know some are cheapskates that abuse the hosts generosity.