sportsfanatic
    Update your status
    sportsfanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

Will Fedor vs Overeem ever be made?

I don't get Strikeforce matchmaking. Bigfoot is not a top 10 HW. Strikeforce has a chance at redemption by making the fight people ACTUALLY want instead of a walkthrough for Fedor.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

Maybe they want fedor to be on a win before they give him overroid

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Everybody is always saying OMG Fedor is ducking Teh Ubers!! Those people need to shut the hell up. If Fedor beats Bigfoot and Overeem beats Werdum then they will fight in the semifinals.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

and if there are no contract renegotiations and if there are no injuries and if there are no scheduling conflicts and....
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: sportsfanatic

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6172

Fedor just signed a new deal and he and the reem are both in the strikeforce HW tourney. If they both advance in the tourney, it will happen.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status
    sportsfanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    and if there are no contract renegotiations and if there are no injuries and if there are no scheduling conflicts and....
    THIS.

tourneys are dumb. someone's going to get hurt before the finals.

Jordan23

All that has been taken care of. There will be no more negotiations. I know you're probably saying "yea yea" but seriously. When they were in negotiations one of the things they agreed on was that Fedor would fight the tournament. No more negotiations so we can all rest our head on the fact that if Overeem beats Werdum and Fedor beats Bigfoot then they can fight.. And if Overeem doesn't beat Werdum and Fedor doesn't beat Bigfoot then it was never meant to happen to begin with.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
    All that has been taken care of. There will be no more negotiations. I know you're probably saying "yea yea" but seriously. When they were in negotiations one of the things they agreed on was that Fedor would fight the tournament. No more negotiations so we can all rest our head on the fact that if Overeem beats Werdum and Fedor beats Bigfoot then they can fight.. And if Overeem doesn't beat Werdum and Fedor doesn't beat Bigfoot then it was never meant to happen to begin with.
    You are talking about a fighter with a history of serious hand problems and constant contract renegotiations. I'm sorry but all this talk is the kind of stuff uttered by battered wives. "No no, this is seriously the last time he is going to hit me, he double promised and pinky swore on it."

They don't get the benefit of the doubt at this juncture, they need to start proving that they can get these fighters to actually fight each other. Only way to know it is when they actually run these events.

Jordan23

All fighters are contracted for entire hw gp!

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by JuicedUp View Post
    Fedor just signed a new deal and he and the reem are both in the strikeforce HW tourney. If they both advance in the tourney, it will happen.
    We know the contents of his contract now? How iron tight is it? I can almost bet based off previous track record that there are a few poorly defined items/ major loopholes to be found. That is if they both advance, and if Fedor can avoid breaking his oft broken hand.

I think the great thing out of this is that we have a good idea when to expect Fedor to fight next, also we know that Werdum and Overeem is going to happen down the road. Everything else on top of it is just gravy. If it happens great, if it doesn't happen won't really surprise me.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic View Post
    THIS.

tourneys are dumb. someone's going to get hurt before the finals.

Although I think UFC champion and bad ass ninja Steve Jennum would disagree with both of us.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6172

We know the contents of his contract now?
    Its 4 fights and he will be in the tournament.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Fed...ikeforce-29188

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Although I think UFC champion and bad ass ninja Steve Jennum would disagree with both of us.
    Was Steve a ninja? I forget it's been so freaking long. I just remember that he was going by the nickname "The Ultimate" as a response to his unofficial nickname: Steve "The Alternate" Jennum which is what everyone was calling him after he beat HH.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    Was Steve a ninja? I forget it's been so freaking long. I just remember that he was going by the nickname "The Ultimate" as a response to his unofficial nickname: Steve "The Alternate" Jennum which is what everyone was calling him after he beat HH.
    At least that is what they had listed as his discipline. I can't remember the capoeira guy either UFC 2? I was disappointed that he pretty much did bad kickboxing. Nice that Pettis is waving that banner proudly.

and sadly Josando is a dead martial art

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

At least that is what they had listed as his discipline. I can't remember the capoeira guy either UFC 2? I was disappointed that he pretty much did bad kickboxing. Nice that Pettis is waving that banner proudly.

and sadly Josando is a dead martial art
    I've got some stories about Kimo and Joe Son from back in the day. Kimo moved down to SoCal from Washington to play JC Football, ended up becoming the muscle for a local speed dealer in the South Bay area. He was a regular at Gold's and Powerhouse Gyms.

I remember that a large Samoan family used to cruise around Manhattan and Huntington Beach looking for Joe Son for a long time. Never got a clear story about what happened but apparently Joe Son had dated a girl from the family and had done something to her but nobody ever said what it was exactly.

Poppa Catfish

Pretty damn cool. Somebody should do a documentary on where all the early UFC guys are at and what they are up to. I'm a big fan of the Smashing Machine and Beyond the Mat. I think this would be equally captivating. Who knows, maybe Paul Varelans is running a ballet studio.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

I hope strikeforce can pull this tournament off. Coker wants every fight to be a 5 rounder which would be epic. Coker also said that if they can't get Barnett licensed stateside they may have an event in Japan.

Poppa Catfish

Event in Japan sounds like a hassle, why not an event in Russia? Surely M-1 could open some doors there. Or maybe they will add it on to a DREAM event, that would be pretty cool

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Event in Japan sounds like a hassle, why not an event in Russia? Surely M-1 could open some doors there. Or maybe they will add it on to a DREAM event, that would be pretty cool
    I think they want it in Japan because Fedor, Barnett and Overeem are big stars there and they will sell a lot of tickets.

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

Strikeforce wants to make the most $ they can thats all

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

m-1 is so ridiculous. whenever ithink sbout them i get tired. its a tiny organization like a tachi fights that acts like a major promotion.

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

Overeem is the most accomplished fighter who hasn't fought a legit top ten heavy weight.

In his last 10, he has fought ONE, a tenth ranked Brett Rogers who had half the experience and zero ground game.

The last one he fought before that, he was knocked out.

I think his overall record is something like 3-8 (including the 205 weight class) when he fights top ten competition.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Quote Originally Posted by Squareguy View Post
    Overeem is the most accomplished fighter who hasn't fought a legit top ten heavy weight.

In his last 10, he has fought ONE, a tenth ranked Brett Rogers who had half the experience and zero ground game.

The last one he fought before that, he was knocked out.

I think his overall record is something like 3-8 (including the 205 weight class) when he fights top ten competition.
    I think Overeem was tested back then? He has to be on roids now? I've worked out all my life and I've never seen a guy over 250 that was cut up & massive like that without roids!

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Handicapable View Post
    I think Overeem was tested back then? He has to be on roids now? I've worked out all my life and I've never seen a guy over 250 that was cut up & massive like that without roids!
    Obviously he has some great genetics looking at his older brother, but his jaw line tells the whole story.

Not to say he hasn't worked VERY hard to get to where he is at...but he had some help.