terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Eddie Alvarez v. Roger Huerta

I would play this up to -300. IMO Alvarez has better wrestling, better boxing, and an equally good chin and cardio. Plus, Alvarez is fighting in Philly, and while this could bring extra nerves, I do not think that will be the case as he has fought in front of big rowdy hometown crowds in AC earlier in his career, which I have seen in person, and I expect his energy level and focus to be extremely high.
    Points Awarded:

gummo gave terpkeg 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

I'm gonna be all over Huerta if the line hits +220 or better

also considering a big play on Askren

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post

Lyman Good is a huge welterweight but ring rust is surely going to play a factor (15 months without a fight I believe)! As I say though the dude is a beast and dedicated - sleeps in the cage in the weeks leading up to the fight! The competition he has faced though are no way near Askrens level - especially and obviously with regard to wrestling. Good has a karate background and relied on his power and superior strength to win those fights in bellator, but that power isnt going to be as advantageous against a smothering wrestling machine in Askren.

terpkeg

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post

How do you see Huerta winning this fight? Only way I see it is Huerta creating scrambles and winding up in favorable positions on the ground and winning a close decision.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Ill,

You got some splanin' to do bwoy. And you know we ask, 'cos we value your opinion.

All I remember thinking after watching Huerta's Bellator bouts was how eager I would be to fade him if/when he fought Alvarez. And I'm about the farthest thing from an Alvarez fan boy. You thinking Eddie gasses himself out or something???

Eccocide
    2010 MMA Results: +69.3225 units
    Eccocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Against you on this one Ill. Alvarez by whatever he wants.

snake11eyes
    snake11eyes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 577

I'm with ill on this one. I've never been a fan of Alvarez since I watched him fight live in ac in 2005 at the taj. He doesn't have many wins if any against big name opponents. I believe there is a lot of hype surrounding Alvarez making it seem like he is a lot better then he really is. On the other hand Huerta has proven himself to be a warrior against some of the top guys and if the price gets in the +225 range I believe that's a solid play.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Nice to see a start of a good ole fashioned debate here...

Like I said, I've never really been that big a fan of Alvarez quite frankly.

But I was just amazed at how sh*t Huerta looked lately, especially against Chad Hinton. Though, I know Huerta has the talent to engage high level fighters no doubt...

Eccocide

Huerta's head isnt in fighting anymore. He looked horrible against Hinton and Curran. I dont play favourites over 175ish for the most part so I will most likely sit this one out, but if anyone has been underwhelming based on hype its Huerta, not Alvarez.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

Huerta is too much of a slow starter to beat an aggressive Alvarez. I can see Eddie getting a 10-8 or even finishing Huerta in the first,

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

is this huerta's first fight since his "incident" ? I always liked the guy, but after that I became a huge fan. I hope he can whoop some ass like he did to that punk in the video

bogbat

This is probably the biggest fight Bellator has put on as far as name recognition goes. But I'm more looking forward to seeing Hector Lombard fight again.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Like Alvarez in this one.

vassman86
    vassman86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Price tag is too high on Alvarez. Though, I do think Alvarez will crush Huerta. There's a reason why Gurgel was cut from the UFC: he can't finish fights!

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by vassman86 View Post
    Price tag is too high on Alvarez.
    Agree. I'm with Ill on this one. I'm happy to go with Huerta at +205, and if his line keeps getting better I'll add more. There is not as much disparity between these two as the line indicates. Alvarez has stated that he expects to go out and have a "fight of the year" brawl, as he did with Kawajiri. That style of fighting suits Huerta perfectly. It's the precision strikers and lay and pray wrestlers who will give Huerta the most trouble, and Alvarez is neither. Alvarez has power and a good chin, but he's more of a brawler and I think that will bring out the best in Huerta.

Also, while dedication has been an issue for Huerta in the past, I don't see it as a problem this time. I like how he said: “I’m putting this in my mind that he’s trying to go out and kill me, kill my career. I’m not going to let that happen. He’s going to bring the best out of me and I’m going out there to try to knock him out and to finish him.” He knows the magnitude of this fight and has stated that he considers Alvarez a top three fighter at lightweight. He seems to be taking him very seriously.

Not saying Huerta should be favored, of course, but I think he has better chances than the odds indicate. Alvarez is a great fighter and I have a lot of respect for his skills, but in my opinion he's another guy (like Penn) who tends to be overvalued in the betting lines.
    Last edited by lasker; 10-01-10 at 07:23 PM.

Fiasco01
    Fiasco01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 962

But I mean how does Huerta win this? He pretty much has to out strike Alvarez and I don't see that happening.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

BoDog has Alvarez at -210 compared to other at -265

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think askren has this but -260 is hard to play with.

jin2daj

wow alvarez at -210 is legit !

Fiasco01
    Fiasco01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 962

-210 is definitely play-able!

playa420
    playa420's Avatar Become A Pro!

alavarez -220 looks like a solid play.alvarez has an edge in every aspect of the game

Pratik
    Pratik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4037

Agreed i would take him at -210 before price drives up!

terpkeg

Quote Originally Posted by lasker View Post
    Agree. I'm with Ill on this one. I'm happy to go with Huerta at +205, and if his line keeps getting better I'll add more. There is not as much disparity between these two as the line indicates. Alvarez has stated that he expects to go out and have a "fight of the year" brawl, as he did with Kawajiri. That style of fighting suits Huerta perfectly. It's the precision strikers and lay and pray wrestlers who will give Huerta the most trouble, and Alvarez is neither. Alvarez has power and a good chin, but he's more of a brawler and I think that will bring out the best in Huerta.

Also, while dedication has been an issue for Huerta in the past, I don't see it as a problem this time. I like how he said: “I’m putting this in my mind that he’s trying to go out and kill me, kill my career. I’m not going to let that happen. He’s going to bring the best out of me and I’m going out there to try to knock him out and to finish him.” He knows the magnitude of this fight and has stated that he considers Alvarez a top three fighter at lightweight. He seems to be taking him very seriously.

Not saying Huerta should be favored, of course, but I think he has better chances than the odds indicate. Alvarez is a great fighter and I have a lot of respect for his skills, but in my opinion he's another guy (like Penn) who tends to be overvalued in the betting lines.
    While I don't think Huerta would get the better of a brawl, this style of fight probably does suit Huerta better. They both have great chins, but Alvarez was rocked by Andre Dida and Kawajiri, he just recovered quickly.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i say parlay askren and alvarez.....huerta`s good,but he`s just not as good as alvarez....he got an amazing public perception bump with his beatdown of(as we now know)a very pedestrian leonard garcia...

i saw alvarez` fight vs nick thompson and the size differential was laughable...

and askren?...how can you go against his smothering grappling game?....you can fast track into the poor house underestimating elite wrestlers in mma...and it doesn`t get any more elite than askren...

just my opinion...

jin2daj

alvarez has got this

Fissics
    Fissics's Avatar Become A Pro!

Do you guys think this will go to decision? The last time Roger was finished was back in 2004.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

I do expect this to go to decision.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Yep going to decision!

Pratik
    Pratik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4037

decision hmm... well lets hope it'll be a 3 round war then!

jin2daj

i think noons might win too

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
    decision hmm... well lets hope it'll be a 3 round war then!
    Ah its 5 rounds isnt it? Maybe im not so sure it will go to decision thn!

bogbat

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Ah its 5 rounds isnt it? Maybe im not so sure it will go to decision thn!
    I don't think its for the belt because he didn't win the tournament. It is one of their "super fights".

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    I don't think its for the belt because he didn't win the tournament. It is one of their "super fights".
    ha yeah ur right, I must of got confused cos somebody wrote "Noons will win" above so thought I was on the Noon vs Diaz thread after reading tht!

vassman86
    vassman86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    Hahahaha Gurgel in a superfight?? Oh my...oh my...

Eccocide

Quote Originally Posted by Eccocide View Post
    Against you on this one Ill. Alvarez by whatever he wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccocide View Post
    Huerta's head isnt in fighting anymore. He looked horrible against Hinton and Curran. I dont play favourites over 175ish for the most part so I will most likely sit this one out, but if anyone has been underwhelming based on hype its Huerta, not Alvarez.
    Dude just got punked and didnt even come out for the 3rd round lol. He's got bigger things on his mind then fighting, like a Tekken sequal .

12 Last