TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    A lot of these arguments are along the line of, "It's MMA, the fighter has to adapt."

Some things, while effective and undoubtedly used in a real fight, aren't conducive to competitive MMA. Why not let in throat strikes, hits to the back of the head, wrist locks, knees to the head of a downed opponent, etc? Because it's too debilitating and disruptive to competitive fighting.
    In MMA, it is a "mix" of "martial arts". The things that are currently banned in MMA are generally also banned in other martial arts. Other combat sport that allows leg kicks, muay thai and kickboxing, allow the type of kicks you are talking about. To ban the kicks you are talking about in MMA would mean it is no longer 'mixed' martial arts. It would be it's own martial art, with it's own set of rules for striking. Your original post, didn't specify MMA. If were thinking they should be banned in muay thai, then that sport would no stop existing.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

they should just set up aromatherapy candles and designate a safe space in a neutral corner
    Points Awarded:

gauchojake gave manny24 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Quote Originally Posted by TommieGunshot View Post
    In MMA, it is a "mix" of "martial arts". The things that are currently banned in MMA are generally also banned in other martial arts. Other combat sport that allows leg kicks, muay thai and kickboxing, allow the type of kicks you are talking about. To ban the kicks you are talking about in MMA would mean it is no longer 'mixed' martial arts. It would be it's own martial art, with it's own set of rules for striking. Your original post, didn't specify MMA. If were thinking they should be banned in muay thai, then that sport would no stop existing.
    MMA is constantly evolving. Some things that used to be legal are not any longer.

Things that are legal in MMA are not legal in Mui Thai or Kick Boxing. Also, thrusting kicks to the knee are illegal in Glory for example.

If they can ban 12 to 6 elbows they can ban kicks below the knee.

MMA in the big picture is a sport of stamina, strength, and quickness. Not who can land the death touch.
    Last edited by dlowilly; 01-25-21 at 12:46 PM.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

Things that are legal in MMA are not legal in Mui Thai or Kick Boxing. Also, thrusting kicks to the knee are illegal in Glory for example.
    Of course there are things legal in MMA that are not legal in other martial arts, because MMA is a "mix" of all of them. There are obviously no choke holds or arm bars in Muay Thai. The question is, are there other martial arts that use leg kicks that also ban these kicks you are talking about? If yes, than MMA could consider banning them. If no, then they shouldn't. Going down the path you are talking about would make it its own martial art, and not mixed martial arts.

MMA in the big picture is a sport of stamina, strength, and quickness. Not who can land the death touch.

A decathlon, with distance running, throws, sprints, and jumps is a sport of stamina, strength, and quickness. MMA has those things, but it is ultimately a sport of martial arts, which includes knockout striking. Fighters in UFC are always allowed to use their strength, stamina, and quickness on defense. Do that well enough and it will stop their opponent from landing these death strikes.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    they should just set up aromatherapy candles and designate a safe space in a neutral corner

dlowilly

Of course there are things legal in MMA that are not legal in other martial arts, because MMA is a "mix" of all of them. There are obviously no choke holds or arm bars in Muay Thai. The question is, are there other martial arts that use leg kicks that also ban these kicks you are talking about? If yes, than MMA could consider banning them. If no, then they shouldn't. Going down the path you are talking about would make it its own martial art, and not mixed martial arts.

MMA is the most popular form of martial arts right now. Why would it need to rely on cues from other forms?

But to answer your question, yes in a sense. Glory is all about kicks but bans certain kicks like side kicks to the knee which right now are legal in MMA.

dlowilly

A decathlon, with distance running, throws, sprints, and jumps is a sport of stamina, strength, and quickness. MMA has those things, but it is ultimately a sport of martial arts, which includes knockout striking. Fighters in UFC are always allowed to use their strength, stamina, and quickness on defense. Do that well enough and it will stop their opponent from landing these death strikes.
    Yet other "death strikes" aren't allowed. Groin strikes. 12 to 6 elbows. Strikes to the back or the back of the head. For example kicks and knees to a downed opponent are illegal. Why? It doesn't cause any more permanent damage than a kick to a wobbled opponent leaning on the fence. But if those were allowed it would significantly reduce the amount of wrestling and grappling which is a major part of the sport. That's why they disallow it and why maybe nerve strikes to the calf should be illegal as well.

leovegas
    leovegas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 329

Maybe McGregor should hire a Muay Tai coach, not fitness coach.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

how much did u lose on mcgregor

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    how much did u lose on mcgregor
    How much did you lose fukking loser

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

A lot of these arguments are along the line of, "It's MMA, the fighter has to adapt."

Some things, while effective and undoubtedly used in a real fight, aren't conducive to competitive MMA. Why not let in throat strikes, hits to the back of the head, wrist locks, knees to the head of a downed opponent, etc? Because it's too debilitating and disruptive to competitive fighting.
    Are you serious? Three of the four things you mentioned can kill someone. That's what they're outlawed. Calf kicks leave you bruised up and sore for a couple days.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    How much did you lose fukking loser
    chillax elliot page

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    Are you serious? Three of the four things you mentioned can kill someone. That's what they're outlawed. Calf kicks leave you bruised up and sore for a couple days.
    Stop it

The most dangerous, deadly place to be hit in the head is the temple, and they aren't outlawing hooks any time soon.

A knee to a shooting opponent has much more force than a knee to a downed opponent.

Deadliness isn't why they are outlawed. They were legal early in MMA. They are outlawed because there would be much less grappling and groundwork which makes the sport appealing and different than boxing or mui thai.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

if mcgregor won would be no thread about this

ChocMilk23
    Day to Day
    ChocMilk23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Definitely the stupidest thread I have ever read on here.... The problem isn't the kick... If you watched the fight at all the problem was he stood there like a dumbass and took them over and over and over without doing shit. End of thread.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Stop it

The most dangerous, deadly place to be hit in the head is the temple, and they aren't outlawing hooks any time soon.

A knee to a shooting opponent has much more force than a knee to a downed opponent.

Deadliness isn't why they are outlawed. They were legal early in MMA. They are outlawed because there would be much less grappling and groundwork which makes the sport appealing and different than boxing or mui thai.
    The difference here is an opponent being in a vulnerable position. You get a guy on the ground up agaisnt the cage and start throwing multiple knees to his head, you could kill him. One knee landing on a shooting opponent will probably drop him.

Conor was out of shape and the leg kicks weren't even what finished him. Dustin got him agaisnt the cage and pummeled him.
    Last edited by Kermit; 01-25-21 at 11:45 PM.

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by ChocMilk23 View Post
    Definitely the stupidest thread I have ever read on here.... The problem isn't the kick... If you watched the fight at all the problem was he stood there like a dumbass and took them over and over and over without doing shit. End of thread.
    Dumbest reply in this thread

The issue isn't about one fight. It is happening repeatedly in fights where an otherwise uninjured fighter can't move because of pressure point nerve strikes.

ChocMilk23
    Day to Day
    ChocMilk23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Dumbest reply in this thread

The issue isn't about one fight. It is happening repeatedly in fights where an otherwise uninjured fighter can't move because of pressure point nerve strikes.
    It is clear you have no idea what a calf kick does.

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

i dont know anything about dlowwilly but i do understand how calf kicks can be seen as....annoying and/or cheap.

dlowilly

Wrong

The whole reason it is effective is because it is in a place where the sciatic nerve is highly vulnerable with little protection no matter how muscular or tough you are. A targeted strike to the outside of the calf has the same effect as a targeted strike to the nuts. I have had it happen to me in sparring, ur done and it can take you weeks, even months, for the nerve to heal. If one fighter lands it, it should then be legal for the other fighter to superman punch their nuts.

chargers4222

Stop it

I mean I'm sorry you lost your bet but you're like a literal retarded person.

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    I mean I'm sorry you lost your bet but you're like a literal retarded person.
    I’m sorry u lost the intelligence lottery

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

did u bet the over 2.5 rounds

😎

dlowilly

In the interest of transparency I’ll say I didn’t bet the fight but I did have Conor in my fantasy lineup but it wasn’t for that much because fantasy mma isn’t that popular so ur kind of limited how much u can get down.

chargers4222

In the interest of transparency I’ll say I didn’t bet the fight but I did have Conor in my fantasy lineup but it wasn’t for that much because fantasy mma isn’t that popular so ur kind of limited how much u can get down.
    lol totally brother

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Everyone will kick metal pipes in the future.

To condition their calves.

And everything will be cool.

Naw. Not really.

But people said the same thing about JBJ oblique kick years ago.

And nothing came of it. Maybe this will be the same?

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57565

Foot stomps should be eliminated - a huge part of Usman's game! Burns would appreciate that come February 13th...

First 12