dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Should the outside calf kick be outlawed?

Poirier fought a great fight and deserved to win

I think the question has to be asked though. Are these calf kicks determining who is the better fighter, or are they more like fish hooking and small joint locks which are outlawed also?

Anyone who has experienced getting hit just right to the sciatic nerve there knows how debilitating it is. It is probably as acutely painful and debilitating as a kick to the nuts which isn’t legal either.
    Last edited by dlowilly; 01-24-21 at 12:36 AM.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10250

Cheers DLO...

Nitrogen
    Chasing
    Nitrogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 401

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    I think the question has to be asked though. Are these calf kicks determining who is the better fighter, or are they more like fish hooking and small joint locks which are outlawed also?
    Can't that be said of a lot of things though? A perfectly (or luckily) placed pop to the ear can penetrate up someone's balance enough that by the time they regain their balance, they're at the hospital. Without that, maybe they were the "better" fighter.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Should UFC fighters wear skirts...?

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

no

there would be too many strikes that could be banned if you think like that

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

How about punches to the face? Can they still do that?

cwhy do QBs scramble in NFL. They arent running backs. Ban it

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Well, you can't really regulate them because thigh kicks are so common.
    Calf kicks great way to make an opponent change their stance up when standing too tall (like bitch mcgregor), control distance...And they're also a huge risk to the kicker if not done properly or if defended well.
    They're very common in Muy Thai, Judo, capoeira , etc.
    I think Mma is about covering all parts of the body so no, i think calf kicks are brutal but shouldn't be banned

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

That kick did in Mac

He looked pretty sharp otherwise

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

He left on crutches

Shutup
    Shutup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2275

Shutup
    Shutup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2275

Archive this thread as dumbest of the year contender with all of those by winkyyy

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Only kicks to the nuts should be outlawed. Everything else is fair game.

dlowilly

It's using pressure points

MMA isn't about that

Sam Losco
    Sam Losco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13684

he wanted to look like a tough guy taking those kicks when in reality he shouldve checked them

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Check the kick. End of story.

Skookum
    Skookum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6158

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Only kicks to the nuts should be outlawed. Everything else is fair game.

Eye Gouges? Hair pulling? I could name twenty other things. I personally don't think the outside calf kick should be banned. A fighter just has to adapt on the fly. Diaz did the same thing to McGregor in the first fight,( though many of those were inside.) I wouldn't mind seeing foot stomps banned. Many of the bones in the foot are fragile, and that can end a career. Good win for Poirier though; glad I didn't bet it!
    Last edited by Skookum; 01-24-21 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Mispelled Poirer's name

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

Never thought I would see the day willy was asking to regulate a fight.

TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

Is someone really asking about banning leg kicks in UFC? If that happens, it would no longer be the true idea of 'mixed' martial arts, it would just be a striking / grappling combination, with some martial arts moves allowed, and others not.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

A liver shot can instantly incapacitate you too.

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    It is nowhere near as easy to check a calf kick as it is a normal leg kick

Groin strikes can easily be blocked BTW

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    A liver shot can instantly incapacitate you too.
    That's one of the first things I thought of as a counter to this. It's much more difficult and dangerous to execute a liver strike. Not "cheap" like a calf kick.

I am just asking the question, not saying for sure they should be banned

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Maybe we should outlaw closed fists and just have slap fights???

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Eye Gouges? Hair pulling? I could name twenty other things. I personally don't think the outside calf kick should be banned. A fighter just has to adapt on the fly. Diaz did the same thing to McGregor in the first fight,( though many of those were inside.) I wouldn't mind seeing foot stomps banned. Many of the bones in the foot are fragile, and that can end a career. Good win for Poirier though; glad I didn't bet it!
    Could you do an eye gouge and hair pull with a kick?

dlowilly

Maybe we should outlaw closed fists and just have slap fights???
    Come on, let's not be ridiculous

This isn't California

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

let's just bring in the mud and bikinis and call it good

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

Should tall players be BANNED from the NBA? Think about it -- their arms are closer to the rim, giving them an advantage in making a higher percentage of shots compared to their shorter counterparts. I suggest limiting NBA roster spots to player 6'0" or shorter. Thoughts?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11790

Part of the game. Low calf kicks aren't a foul in the sport of kick boxing.. Mixed Martial Arts is just that.

Who's good at what you can exploit in a fight. I love it.. Art of war in the cage. Adapt or get laid out! That's MMA!!!

If you just want to box and not get kicked in the legs then go into Boxing only.

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
    Can't that be said of a lot of things though? A perfectly (or luckily) placed pop to the ear can penetrate up someone's balance enough that by the time they regain their balance, they're at the hospital. Without that, maybe they were the "better" fighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    no

there would be too many strikes that could be banned if you think like that
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLA View Post
    Well, you can't really regulate them because thigh kicks are so common.
    Calf kicks great way to make an opponent change their stance up when standing too tall (like bitch mcgregor), control distance...And they're also a huge risk to the kicker if not done properly or if defended well.
    They're very common in Muy Thai, Judo, capoeira , etc.
    I think Mma is about covering all parts of the body so no, i think calf kicks are brutal but shouldn't be banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TommieGunshot View Post
    Is someone really asking about banning leg kicks in UFC? If that happens, it would no longer be the true idea of 'mixed' martial arts, it would just be a striking / grappling combination, with some martial arts moves allowed, and others not.
    Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    Should tall players be BANNED from the NBA? Think about it -- their arms are closer to the rim, giving them an advantage in making a higher percentage of shots compared to their shorter counterparts. I suggest limiting NBA roster spots to player 6'0" or shorter. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Part of the game. Low calf kicks aren't a foul in the sport of kick boxing.. Mixed Martial Arts is just that.

Who's good at what you can exploit in a fight. I love it.. Art of war in the cage. Adapt or get laid out! That's MMA!!!

If you just want to box and not get kicked in the legs then go into Boxing only.

A lot of these arguments are along the line of, "It's MMA, the fighter has to adapt."

Some things, while effective and undoubtedly used in a real fight, aren't conducive to competitive MMA. Why not let in throat strikes, hits to the back of the head, wrist locks, knees to the head of a downed opponent, etc? Because it's too debilitating and disruptive to competitive fighting.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

A lot of these arguments are along the line of, "It's MMA, the fighter has to adapt."

Some things, while effective and undoubtedly used in a real fight, aren't conducive to competitive MMA. Why not let in throat strikes, hits to the back of the head, wrist locks, knees to the head of a downed opponent, etc? Because it's too debilitating and disruptive to competitive fighting.
    Well you gotta stay in the rule of all fighting disciplines and MMA stays with in those. No eye pokes, ball shots, hitting in the back of the head, etc..

MT kick boxing you can kick to the legs body or head. It's that art of combat. Boxing no ball shots and you can't hit to the back of the head. MMA incorporates all of those same rules.

If you don't like getting kicked in the legs then adapt and check them.. Put in the work, harden those bones and check with your hardened shins or knees.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

They should allow everything. Biting, scratching, clawing,etc. it would be much more enjoyable to watch

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I'd be more concerned about push kicks to the knee.

Last edited by Kermit; 01-24-21 at 03:05 PM.

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Well you gotta stay in the rule of all fighting disciplines and MMA stays with in those. No eye pokes, ball shots, hitting in the back of the head, etc..

MT kick boxing you can kick to the legs body or head. It's that art of combat. Boxing no ball shots and you can't hit to the back of the head. MMA incorporates all of those same rules.

If you don't like getting kicked in the legs then adapt and check them.. Put in the work, harden those bones and check with your hardened shins or knees.

It's not about toughness or strengthening the bones. If it were I would be for it.

It's a nerve strike, a target of a pressure point. No amount of training or toughness can defend against a hit to the sciatic nerve on the outside of the calf.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

It's not about toughness or strengthening the bones. If it were I would be for it.

It's a nerve strike, a target of a pressure point. No amount of training or toughness can defend against a hit to the sciatic nerve on the outside of the calf.
    Check it, jump it and avoid it.. That's MMA. MIXED MARTIAL ARTS!! Low kicks are legal. If you can't defend them then go into wrestling mode and take the kicker down.

You cannot make low kicks illegal!! END OF STORY!!!!

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

To do that youd have to get rid of kicks all together and that would destroy the sport, it would just be boxing with some wrestling.

12 Last