209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

Yoel Romero awarded 27 Million dollars in lawsuit against supplement company

WOW! I would retire from fighting after getting huge sum of money like that

Home MMA Breaking: Yoel Romero Wins $27 Million In Lawsuit Against Supplement Company
    Breaking: Yoel Romero Wins $27 Million In Lawsuit Against Supplement Company

Cillian Cunningham May 28, 2019

Yoel Romero has been awarded $27 million after a successful lawsuit against the supplement company he cited following his failed USADA test in 2016.

The former two-time UFC middleweight title challenger failed a post-fight drug-test administered by the anti-doping organisation USADA back in 2016 following his UFC 194 victory over Ronaldo Souza.
    Gold Star Performance Products were forced to pay The Soldier Of God $27.45 million after he filed a lawsuit against them in the test’s aftermath.
    Ariel Helwani of ESPN reported the news first upon receiving word via text from Romero’s manager Abraham Kawa.
    “Yoel Romero, as I reported a few weeks ago, was suing Gold Star Performance Products for that failed drug-test that he had several years ago.
    “It ended up coming out as a contimated supplement. I was told by his manager Abraham Kawa that in New Jersey earlier today they won their case against Gold Star Performance Products.

“$27.45 million in total Yoel was rewarded. $3 million for lost wages, $3 million for reputable harm, $3 million for emotional damage, multipled x3 for the State of New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act.”

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

These american lawsuits are absolute crazy. Glad to see a lifetime competitor get some cheese at the tail end of his career.

Baraldsson
    Baraldsson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 660

Quote Originally Posted by 209 Life View Post
    WOW! I would retire from fighting after getting huge sum of money like that...
    Wow! $27 million? Didn't even have to humiliate himself against Floyd Mayweather or anything.

TennisAceE
    TennisAceE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 577

Good to see justice was served! Good for him and his team.

Teem
    Teem's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3534

That is a tremendous amount of money.

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

He actually got a piece of paper saying that this supplement company needs to pay him $27 million. Given their small online presence, he'll be lucky to collect even a million of it after they file for bankruptcy and liquidate.
    Points Awarded:

Sanity Check gave turbozed 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

bjpenn85

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
    He actually got a piece of paper saying that this supplement company needs to pay him $27 million. Given their small online presence, he'll be lucky to collect even a million of it after they file for bankruptcy and liquidate.
    Is it that simple, to just declare the company bankrupt, filter the money away, and then become free from all responsibilities?

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Exactly LOL....he will collect a pile of shit and $15...

PaperTrail07

Yes.....you waste it on "business expenses ect" then have nothing and fold.....same way bars do it.......take all the cash...fold the LLC and re-pop up under a diff name...
    Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    Is it that simple, to just declare the company bankrupt, filter the money away, and then become free from all responsibilities?

PaperTrail07

I don't believe the sup company even showed up to defend themselves...

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Exactly. I hope he gets as much as he can. Any O/U on this?
    Points Awarded:

PaperTrail07 gave Hugo de Naranja 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

bjpenn85

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    Yes.....you waste it on "business expenses ect" then have nothing and fold.....same way bars do it.......take all the cash...fold the LLC and re-pop up under a diff name...
    Thats true, you can probably just tax yourself out if it. Cold world.

Retibol
    Retibol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1001

Quote Originally Posted by Baraldsson View Post
    Wow! $27 million? Didn't even have to humiliate himself against Floyd Mayweather or anything.
    You won the internet today
    Points Awarded:

Baraldsson gave Retibol 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

Once they declare bankruptcy, the owners will be shielded from personal liability unless they weren't following corporate formalities (in which case you try to "pierce the corporate veil" or try to collect from the owners). So Yoel would be able to collect from the assets of the corporation only. A bankruptcy would mean that whatever assets the corporation owns would be liquidated (sold) by a trustee (the US Trustee or an appointed one) and all the creditors including Yoel would be given a percentage. Maybe some people would want to buy the stock of juiced up supps, but can't see them with more than a million dollars worth of inventory. And then the lawyers and trustees get a cut before the creditors get paid.

I was a bankruptcy attorney (guess I still am just not as active) so used to deal with this stuff for a living.

bjpenn85

Once they declare bankruptcy, the owners will be shielded from personal liability unless they weren't following corporate formalities (in which case you try to "pierce the corporate veil" or try to collect from the owners). So Yoel would be able to collect from the assets of the corporation only. A bankruptcy would mean that whatever assets the corporation owns would be liquidated (sold) by a trustee (the US Trustee or an appointed one) and all the creditors including Yoel would be given a percentage. Maybe some people would want to buy the stock of juiced up supps, but can't see them with more than a million dollars worth of inventory. And then the lawyers and trustees get a cut before the creditors get paid.

I was a bankruptcy attorney (guess I still am just not as active) so used to deal with this stuff for a living.
    Well there you go. Thats unfortunate. But again, who deserves 27 million dollars, it s a little out of touch with reality. I like to think of Dr.Evil in Austin Powers when i see these american lawsuits sums. 1mill.....what..oh...i mean ONE TRILLION DOLLARS...muahah etc.

Its just ludicrous.

PaperTrail07

Its to set a standard against asshats tossing banned substances into supplements deemed legal if it is a slap on the wrist---shit continue to do it----I like it-set a fuckn standard
    Well there you go. Thats unfortunate. But again, who deserves 27 million dollars, it s a little out of touch with reality. I like to think of Dr.Evil in Austin Powers when i see these american lawsuits sums. 1mill.....what..oh...i mean ONE TRILLION DOLLARS...muahah etc.

Its just ludicrous.

bjpenn85

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    Its to set a standard against asshats tossing banned substances into supplements deemed legal if it is a slap on the wrist---shit continue to do it----I like it-set a fuckn standard

Perhaps it has a preventive effect, i dont know. It feels like the death sentence. It sounds good, maybe people would stop killing people, but in reality, death sentence is ineffective, and its only the poorest and least functional countries who has implemented it.

I guess every system can be played though. I guess its a dirty bizz type of scenario.