Lincoln73
    Lincoln73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Why is Jon Fitch an underdog?

I can't figure out why Fitch would be an underdog against Thiago Alves. Besides a loss to GSP, Fitch hasn't lost since 2002! Plus, he already beat Alves by TKO in 2006. I wonder if the line isn't influenced by the public's dislike for him grinding out wrestling wins in non fan friendly fights. Thoughts?

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Take these into consideration: 1) Fitch has had trouble putting people away. Maybe people think longer fight goes there is a chance he gets rocked like end of Pierce fight. 2) He is usually larger than other WW, not Alves. 3) Despite fact that GSP put Alves on back all day, Koscheck and Matt Hughes could not.

That said, at first glance I would make Fitch the favorite.

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Mike Pierce would have won a 5 round fight against Fitch that night, GSP may have been able to take Alves down at will but he had hell trying to keep him there, no way Alves is going to let Fitch lay on him for 3 rounds, Fitch is a thing of the past, Standup always was and always will be garbage, reminds me of a refined Marcus Davis

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

I remember when alves said GSP wouldnt be able to take him down, did not turn out too good for him. Just like how fitch repeatedly took him down. Mike pierce has a huge advantage over alves when it comes to matching up against fitch, years of wrestling; which is the only reason he had the opportunity to stand and strike.

The rematch will go the same way, without the upkick, and if thiago wins a round, it will be the third.

36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln73 View Post
    I can't figure out why Fitch would be an underdog against Thiago Alves. Besides a loss to GSP, Fitch hasn't lost since 2002! Plus, he already beat Alves by TKO in 2006. I wonder if the line isn't influenced by the public's dislike for him grinding out wrestling wins in non fan friendly fights. Thoughts?
    might be because he only has decision wins and it seems like thats the only option he has. fitch isnt a closer and i think he's as good as he's going to get. where as thiago has dangerous ko ability and every round starts out standing.

knownone
    knownone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Alves is the deserving favorite, Besides his fight with GSP he's dominated everyone he's fought... You gotta remember Fitch beat Alves when Alves was 22 years old now 4 years later Alves is hitting his prime and fitch seems to be the same one deminsional fighter he was 4 years ago.

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

its going to be a close fight

RobbReport
    RobbReport's Avatar Become A Pro!

i see Alves getting in a few accurate enough shots to hurt Fitch. yeah he is a grinder, but that won't save him every fight.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

i dont think fitch shoule be a dog to anybody not named gsp