THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Saint Preux 2 (September 22, 2017)

FXX 10:00 pm ET
    Mauricio Rua vs Ovince Saint Preux
    Jessica Andrade vs Claudia Gadelha
    Takanori Gomi vs Dong Hyun Kim
    Henrique da Silva vs Gokhan Saki
    Rolando Dy vs Teruto Ishihara
    Mizuto Hirota vs Charles Rosa

FXX 8:00 pm ET
    Alex Morono vs Keita Nakamura
    Jussier Formiga vs Ulka Sasaki
    Chan-Mi Jeon vs Syuri Kondo
    Shinsho Anzai vs Luke Jumeau

UFC Fight Pass 7:30 pm ET
    Daichi Abe vs Hyun Gyu Lim

THE_LOCKSMITH

'Shogun' Rua out, Yushin Okami in to face Ovince Saint Preux in UFC-Japan headliner

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11886

Garbage card.. How do you apply the Asian fade theory when every fighter is Asian?? ...
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave JIBBBY 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5421

I can't wait for this card! I wonder when the lines will be available?

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Love how they come crawling back to Yushin LOL awesome...whos next BEN ASKREN? LMFAO

Unwritten Law
    Unwritten Law's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -1617

I will be at this event! Was hoping for a better replacement other than Okami, but it seemed like it was convenient for him to be a late replacement.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Okami was barely winning fights in the scrub organizations.. Okami's time has passed just like Gomi.. Fade material..

THE_LOCKSMITH

LOL I barley remember Gomi is in the UFC anymore these days, It is crazy to see this is his 13 fight in the UFC and hes been here for 7 years now

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

^^^Gomi hasn't gotten out of the 1st round in his last 4 fights. I'm also surprised the UFC still has him employed the way he's been losing lately.. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Takanori-Gomi-425

Demonata

So damn excited for this card. Gomi vs Kim will be awesome. Also hope okami wins too. Just need the lines now to figure out who I'm betting.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Demonata View Post
    So damn excited for this card. Gomi vs Kim will be awesome. Also hope okami wins too. Just need the lines now to figure out who I'm betting.
    I'm excited that you are excited Dem .. Are you Asian buddy? All good if so..

I just can't get that excited for class B fighters fighting.. Bottom of the barrel in the UFC card is what I'm looking at.. I'll bet it and watch it but it's tough for me to get fired up for this card.. Maybe it's just me..

Demonata

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    I'm excited that you are excited Dem .. Are you Asian buddy? All good if so..

I just can't get that excited for class B fighters fighting.. Bottom of the barrel in the UFC card is what I'm looking at.. I'll bet it and watch it but it's tough for me to get fired up for this card.. Maybe it's just me..
    I'm Swedish.it just seems like the Asian Japanese fighters usually stand and fight. Not go for as many takedowns.so stand and bang and kick. I wish too hoi choi was on this card.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Demonata View Post
    I'm Swedish.it just seems like the Asian Japanese fighters usually stand and fight. Not go for as many takedowns.so stand and bang and kick. I wish too hoi choi was on this card.
    That's a good point, most Asians do stand and bang it out.. Okami being the exception though as he'll surely try to clinch and get the take down first chance he gets....

This even does have a Pride feel to it for some reason.. I'll give it that much ...

Unwritten Law
    Unwritten Law's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -1617

Can't wait for it on Saturday! Love it when they bring the UFC back to the Far East.

Demonata

It's my birthday Friday so hopefully I get some birthday luck on this card.

PaperTrail07

Yushin at those odds Lay and Pray Baby....make Dana just cringe on the sidelines.....on the other hand IFFFFFF Yushin tried to
    switch his game up to stay in the ufc...he will get wrecked !

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    Yushin at those odds Lay and Pray Baby....make Dana just cringe on the sidelines.....on the other hand IFFFFFF Yushin tried to
    switch his game up to stay in the ufc...he will get wrecked !
    I saw Yushin in his last fight, he looks horrible.. Take him by decision and hedge out if you must with the KO prop on the flip..

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

I think this card is on september 23rd.

Bellator 183 is scheduled for the same day.

edit: my mistake. wikipedia got the date wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fi...reux_vs._Okami
    Last edited by Sanity Check; 09-19-17 at 02:17 PM.

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

Just started watching some tape for this.

Not sure why Kondo is the dog here. Chan Mi has not beaten anybody except for jobbers. Kondo has fought and beaten better fighters than Jeon. Jeon is very likable and looked okay against Aldrich but she seems like she has no gameplan. Kondo has a lot of kickboxing experience and should tag Chan Mi with jabs and a nice right overhand often. If Jeon's striking poses a problem, Kondo can probably work Chan Mi against the cage and get a takedown. Gas tank wise, Kondo has been able to hit takedowns on her opponents in the 3rd round and 5th round. That's both smart and shows good cardio. Kondo should be a moderate favorite here.

For those guys with Fight Pass, go ahead and watch Daichi Kondo's fights. Guy is a glass cannon and exciting as hell. Fight with Hyun Gyu Lim should end in a KO but the under line is juiced. Still should be fireworks. Daichi may have no ground game, or at least he hasn't used it any of his 5 fights.
    Points Awarded:

JIBBBY gave turbozed 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07

Lets also not forget YOkam was just fighting at 170 and UFC brings him in for a 205er fight ...

PaperTrail07

Morono...

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

MMA MANIA write ups coming in..

170 lbs.: Daichi Abe vs. Hyun Gyu Lim

The 25-year-old Daichi Abe (5-0) picked up three knockouts in four wins to earn a crack at World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) veteran and Welterweight King of Pancrase Hiromitsu Miura in July. Despite Miura’s experience and success in pro boxing, Abe dropped him twice for a second-round technical knockout.
    He will give up four inches of height to Hyun Gyu Lim (13-6-1).
    Three vicious knockouts in his first four UFC appearances, plus a blood-and-guts war with Tarec Saffiedine on short notice, earned Lim a spot on the fringe of the 170-pound elite. “The Ace” has since struggled to match that early success, suffering stoppage losses to Neil Magny and Mike Perry in his last two fights.
    This will be his first fight in 13 months.
    Watching Abe’s fight with Miura, his potential is obvious. Though he’s a bit too upright and his head doesn’t move enough, he’s got lights-out power and solid form in his punches, as well as a Judo background to keep opponents in his wheelhouse. Lim, while colossal for the weight class and far more experienced, doesn’t have a whole lot going for him.
    “The Ace,” a brawler by trade, just lost a brawl last time out. Even putting aside the sort of damage that could do to his confidence, his cardio remains a significant liability. He’s also there to be hit just as much as Abe is and has suffered far more wear-and-tear. Expect a fun, back-and-forth fight before Lim starts to slow and Abe finds the mark with a big right hand.
    Prediction: Abe via second-round technical knockout

170 lbs.:
    Shinsho Anzai vs. Luke Jumeau

Shinsho Anzai (9-2) strung together six straight wins, the last a knockout of Ryo Kawamkura to become the Middleweight King of Pancrase, to earn his spot in the world’s largest fight promotion. A “Fight of the Night”-winning brawl with Alberto Mina didn’t go his way, but careful wrestling carried him to victory over Roger Zapata his next time out.
    This will be the first fight for “The Animal” in almost exactly two years because of a back injury.
    Luke Jumeau (12-3) put losses to Li Jingliang and Jake Matthews behind him with six consecutive stoppage victories, including a knockout of UFC vet Vik Grujic in January. He still entered his debut against Dominique Steele as an underdog, but used powerful striking and solid takedown defense to win the decision. He has knocked out five professional opponents and submitted another four.
    This one’s a toughie. On the one hand, Anzai’s the sort of relentless, powerful takedown artist that Jumeau appears to have issues with. On the other, he’s raw as hell on the feet and is coming off a huge layoff for a significant injury.
    I think I’m going to go with Jumeau. Anzai’s too one-dimensional in his pursuit of the takedown and Jumeau’s got crisper, more powerful boxing. Expect Jumeau to take increasing control of the fight as ring rust and failed shots wear his foe down.
    Prediction: Jumeau via third-round technical knockout

Shagdogy
    Shagdogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5477

Morono...
    His TDD seems so suspect to me. Kyle Noke put him on his back multiple times with almost no resistance. He stands so upright. Nakamura will be relentless with takedowns and he's tough to finish. All Nakamura needs is one TD to win a round, his ground control is pretty tight.

Shagdogy

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
    Just started watching some tape for this.

Not sure why Kondo is the dog here. Chan Mi has not beaten anybody except for jobbers. Kondo has fought and beaten better fighters than Jeon. Jeon is very likable and looked okay against Aldrich but she seems like she has no gameplan. Kondo has a lot of kickboxing experience and should tag Chan Mi with jabs and a nice right overhand often. If Jeon's striking poses a problem, Kondo can probably work Chan Mi against the cage and get a takedown. Gas tank wise, Kondo has been able to hit takedowns on her opponents in the 3rd round and 5th round. That's both smart and shows good cardio. Kondo should be a moderate favorite here.

For those guys with Fight Pass, go ahead and watch Daichi Kondo's fights. Guy is a glass cannon and exciting as hell. Fight with Hyun Gyu Lim should end in a KO but the under line is juiced. Still should be fireworks. Daichi may have no ground game, or at least he hasn't used it any of his 5 fights.
    Daichi Abe you mean? Was just watching him last night. You have to favor him a little in this fight if not just for his youth and lack of damage he has taken compared to the aging Lim coming off two straight KO's, but I think the line should be close. Lim seems to have more power and busier hands and will certainly come forward. Abe should be picking his shot and looking to beat Lim to the punch with quicker, straight counters inside of his big shots. I agree with you, one of these guys gets dropped.

I like Jumeau a decent amount here and I think there's value even at -250. He looks to have the chin to hang in with Shinsho if he tries to brawl, and his counters could really hurt Shinsho with the way he likes to rush forward. Jumeau also showed good TDD against the cage vs Steele, which he will need. His previous fights show a real problem with TDD in the center of the cage but the way Shinsho rushes in he generally pushes guys to the fence and then works takedown. Gonna struggle with Jumeau I think. He's also been out for two years.

Finally I like Formiga a lot. He's just a really bad matchup for Sasaki. Sasaki is always game but I don't think he can make up for all of the challenges Formiga can bring. I think Formiga wins wherever this fight takes place. He could be worth a shot to win by sub if he line is half decent.

nyrider88
    nyrider88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3636

didnt yushin get fired by ufc a few years ago?

turbozed

Quote Originally Posted by Shagdogy View Post
    Daichi Abe you mean? Was just watching him last night. You have to favor him a little in this fight if not just for his youth and lack of damage he has taken compared to the aging Lim coming off two straight KO's, but I think the line should be close. Lim seems to have more power and busier hands and will certainly come forward. Abe should be picking his shot and looking to beat Lim to the punch with quicker, straight counters inside of his big shots. I agree with you, one of these guys gets dropped.

I like Jumeau a decent amount here and I think there's value even at -250. He looks to have the chin to hang in with Shinsho if he tries to brawl, and his counters could really hurt Shinsho with the way he likes to rush forward. Jumeau also showed good TDD against the cage vs Steele, which he will need. His previous fights show a real problem with TDD in the center of the cage but the way Shinsho rushes in he generally pushes guys to the fence and then works takedown. Gonna struggle with Jumeau I think. He's also been out for two years.

Finally I like Formiga a lot. He's just a really bad matchup for Sasaki. Sasaki is always game but I don't think he can make up for all of the challenges Formiga can bring. I think Formiga wins wherever this fight takes place. He could be worth a shot to win by sub if he line is half decent.
    Yes I meant Abe. Guy is exciting to watch and I'll be rooting for him because I dig his striking style and power. Much more technical than most KO artist. There was this KO against Miura (watch 3:40 left in the video on fightpass) where he faked a left leg kick into a lead left hand jab just to follow it the whole thing up with a giant overhand right. That was beautiful and at a much higher level than Lim can muster. That being said there is a huge reach differential and I think probably a weight disadvantage too since Lim cuts an absurd amount and most Japanese fighters are fighting a weight class or half a weight class too heavy. I'll probably be on Abe small after I see the weigh in.

I bet against Jumeau in his last fight against Dom Steele because he had horrible takedown defense in tape. My notes say that he was taken down by Mansoori who is a very bad fighter, had his guard passed, and just in general looked bad in the first round. IIRC, Steele took him down easily in the 1st and I thought the fight would go that way for the rest of the match, but Steele ended up just clinching against the cage instead of driving for the TD. This either meant that Jumeau's counter wrestling has improved light years or Steele just blew it and should have won with more persistence. I still don't know which one it is.

If Jumeau did improve his TDD, then the -245 MIGHT have some value. But if he really didn't, then this fight will be a lot more interesting from an Anzai-backing angle. After a barnburner of a fight with Alberto Mina where he came in on a week notice to fight in China, I think Anzai realized he couldn't come in winging wild "Animal" shots he was known for. So fighting in his hometown in Saitama against Roger Zapata, he went for takedowns repeatedly, chaining them, and being able to hit them in rounds 1 and 2 until Zapata broke his finger in Rd3 for a TKO. It looked like Anzai was on the road to a decision win there. If Anzai goes in with this gameplan, and Jumeau's TDD hasn't improved really, then Anzai might be able to pull out a decision win here in his hometown. Anzai by dec is +553 and looks a lot juicer than Jumeau -245 IMO so I'm gonna put a unit onit.

Re: Formiga/Sasaki, remember that Scoggins was on paper even a worse matchup for Sasaki. The wild card there was that Scoggins just has that extremely chokeable neck. Lightning probably doesn't strike twice For Ulka, but I've always been impressed about how well the Japanese Slim Shady does given his limited tools.

Shagdogy

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
    Yes I meant Abe. Guy is exciting to watch and I'll be rooting for him because I dig his striking style and power. Much more technical than most KO artist. There was this KO against Miura (watch 3:40 left in the video on fightpass) where he faked a left leg kick into a lead left hand jab just to follow it the whole thing up with a giant overhand right. That was beautiful and at a much higher level than Lim can muster. That being said there is a huge reach differential and I think probably a weight disadvantage too since Lim cuts an absurd amount and most Japanese fighters are fighting a weight class or half a weight class too heavy. I'll probably be on Abe small after I see the weigh in.

I bet against Jumeau in his last fight against Dom Steele because he had horrible takedown defense in tape. My notes say that he was taken down by Mansoori who is a very bad fighter, had his guard passed, and just in general looked bad in the first round. IIRC, Steele took him down easily in the 1st and I thought the fight would go that way for the rest of the match, but Steele ended up just clinching against the cage instead of driving for the TD. This either meant that Jumeau's counter wrestling has improved light years or Steele just blew it and should have won with more persistence. I still don't know which one it is.

If Jumeau did improve his TDD, then the -245 MIGHT have some value. But if he really didn't, then this fight will be a lot more interesting from an Anzai-backing angle. After a barnburner of a fight with Alberto Mina where he came in on a week notice to fight in China, I think Anzai realized he couldn't come in winging wild "Animal" shots he was known for. So fighting in his hometown in Saitama against Roger Zapata, he went for takedowns repeatedly, chaining them, and being able to hit them in rounds 1 and 2 until Zapata broke his finger in Rd3 for a TKO. It looked like Anzai was on the road to a decision win there. If Anzai goes in with this gameplan, and Jumeau's TDD hasn't improved really, then Anzai might be able to pull out a decision win here in his hometown. Anzai by dec is +553 and looks a lot juicer than Jumeau -245 IMO so I'm gonna put a unit onit.

Re: Formiga/Sasaki, remember that Scoggins was on paper even a worse matchup for Sasaki. The wild card there was that Scoggins just has that extremely chokeable neck. Lightning probably doesn't strike twice For Ulka, but I've always been impressed about how well the Japanese Slim Shady does given his limited tools.
    A few points... Jumeau's TDD has been terrible in the center of the cage and good against the fence. I don't see Shinsho landing clean double leg shots. His fight vs. Zapata was a lot of cage time. His takedowns weren't all that technical either, it was just him rushing in behind a big overhand right again and again and again. I think Jumeau will counter him. I also can't bet a guy on two years off.

About Sasaki, I didn't think Scoggins was a better matchup on paper. I actually had that one capped much closer. I really do like Sasaki's grit. This matchup in particular I think is tougher for Sasaki because of Formiga's speed and ground game. Formiga has never been subbed and everything Sasaki does on the ground, Formiga does better. That leaves Sasaki's only avenue to win on the feet, and Formiga is so much faster.

Always good trading points back and forth... helps me figure out where I really stand and how committed I am to these plays.

What do you think of Nakamura/Morono? If I could be certain Nakamura would just sell out for takedowns then I think he wins that fight. Morono doesn't look like he has the technique nor will to fight takedowns of Nakamura's nature. BUT... Nakamura takes damage all the time and there's a chance Morono just lands on him over and over.

turbozed

Quote Originally Posted by Shagdogy View Post
    A few points... Jumeau's TDD has been terrible in the center of the cage and good against the fence. I don't see Shinsho landing clean double leg shots. His fight vs. Zapata was a lot of cage time. His takedowns weren't all that technical either, it was just him rushing in behind a big overhand right again and again and again. I think Jumeau will counter him. I also can't bet a guy on two years off.

About Sasaki, I didn't think Scoggins was a better matchup on paper. I actually had that one capped much closer. I really do like Sasaki's grit. This matchup in particular I think is tougher for Sasaki because of Formiga's speed and ground game. Formiga has never been subbed and everything Sasaki does on the ground, Formiga does better. That leaves Sasaki's only avenue to win on the feet, and Formiga is so much faster.

Always good trading points back and forth... helps me figure out where I really stand and how committed I am to these plays.

What do you think of Nakamura/Morono? If I could be certain Nakamura would just sell out for takedowns then I think he wins that fight. Morono doesn't look like he has the technique nor will to fight takedowns of Nakamura's nature. BUT... Nakamura takes damage all the time and there's a chance Morono just lands on him over and over.
    Always appreciate shooting thoughts back and forth bro.

I don't expect Anzai to be shoot blast double legs like Affliction-era Koscheck. But Anzai does look for takedowns off of striking exchanges, and may catch an unexpected TD there whereas Steele employed the same tactic most of the fight pushing Jumeau against the cage. IIRC, the one TD that Steele landed early was center of cage and timed a bit better. The two year layoff has me worried too. He's had a year to come back from a back injury and that's the big question mark. He might also come out swinging wildly like his regional career and the fight won't make it to a decision.

You're right that Formiga is probably a worse matchup actually than Scoggins for Sasaki. On paper I just meant the public perception and betting lines. I'm pretty sure I hit Sasaki by sub for small on that fight so I thought that line was way wider than it should've been too. I'm laying off of this one because it's pretty juiced and I honestly don't know how Formiga may handle a slick submission grappler vs another wrestler. He probably defends all attempts but I don't know if Sasaki's chances of winning are 5% or 20%. Maybe a hedge for Sasaki at +650 or better when the sub line comes out may be worth it.

I haven't taken a look at Nakamura vs Morono so can't comment just yet.

Cheers!

PaperTrail07

Do the favorites just cruise here:

St Preux-- Should be easy unless subbed....Yushin coming off fighting at 170
    Gadelha- Size alone should be enough to toss Andrade around
    Saki-Seems they gave him this fight to win....it stay on the feet he CRUISES....da Silva good on ground but no take down artist...
    Rosa-Athleticism should be enough IMO>..

Bellator:
    Larkin-Too much speed and keep his distance too well....Easy cruise for him...probably decision as he never puts himself in harms way
    Henderson-PatRicky has a 1 punch shot....otherwise hendo points his ass to death imo....\

Thoughts?

Seems hard to go against them right>?

PaperTrail07

GL to everyone tomorrow----

Demonata

Shagdogy

Ishihara vs Dy should be a real fun fight. Two guys with good hands, good chins, and a lot of grit. Hard to see this one disappointing. For some reason I root for Dy. Donno why.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    MMA MANIA write ups coming in..

170 lbs.: Daichi Abe vs. Hyun Gyu Lim

The 25-year-old Daichi Abe (5-0) picked up three knockouts in four wins to earn a crack at World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) veteran and Welterweight King of Pancrase Hiromitsu Miura in July. Despite Miura’s experience and success in pro boxing, Abe dropped him twice for a second-round technical knockout.
    He will give up four inches of height to Hyun Gyu Lim (13-6-1).
    Three vicious knockouts in his first four UFC appearances, plus a blood-and-guts war with Tarec Saffiedine on short notice, earned Lim a spot on the fringe of the 170-pound elite. “The Ace” has since struggled to match that early success, suffering stoppage losses to Neil Magny and Mike Perry in his last two fights.
    This will be his first fight in 13 months.
    Watching Abe’s fight with Miura, his potential is obvious. Though he’s a bit too upright and his head doesn’t move enough, he’s got lights-out power and solid form in his punches, as well as a Judo background to keep opponents in his wheelhouse. Lim, while colossal for the weight class and far more experienced, doesn’t have a whole lot going for him.
    “The Ace,” a brawler by trade, just lost a brawl last time out. Even putting aside the sort of damage that could do to his confidence, his cardio remains a significant liability. He’s also there to be hit just as much as Abe is and has suffered far more wear-and-tear. Expect a fun, back-and-forth fight before Lim starts to slow and Abe finds the mark with a big right hand.
    Prediction: Abe via second-round technical knockout

170 lbs.:
    Shinsho Anzai vs. Luke Jumeau

Shinsho Anzai (9-2) strung together six straight wins, the last a knockout of Ryo Kawamkura to become the Middleweight King of Pancrase, to earn his spot in the world’s largest fight promotion. A “Fight of the Night”-winning brawl with Alberto Mina didn’t go his way, but careful wrestling carried him to victory over Roger Zapata his next time out.
    This will be the first fight for “The Animal” in almost exactly two years because of a back injury.
    Luke Jumeau (12-3) put losses to Li Jingliang and Jake Matthews behind him with six consecutive stoppage victories, including a knockout of UFC vet Vik Grujic in January. He still entered his debut against Dominique Steele as an underdog, but used powerful striking and solid takedown defense to win the decision. He has knocked out five professional opponents and submitted another four.
    This one’s a toughie. On the one hand, Anzai’s the sort of relentless, powerful takedown artist that Jumeau appears to have issues with. On the other, he’s raw as hell on the feet and is coming off a huge layoff for a significant injury.
    I think I’m going to go with Jumeau. Anzai’s too one-dimensional in his pursuit of the takedown and Jumeau’s got crisper, more powerful boxing. Expect Jumeau to take increasing control of the fight as ring rust and failed shots wear his foe down.
    Prediction: Jumeau via third-round technical knockout

Part 2 -

170 lbs.: Keita Nakamura vs. Alex Morono

Keita Nakamura (32-8-2) washed out of UFC his first time around with a winless (0-3) record, but went on a 15-3 (1 NC) run to earn another stint in the world’s largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion. “K-Taro” has gone 2-2 since his return, pulling off upset submissions against Li Jingliang and Kyle Noke while suffering decision losses to Tom Breese and Elizeu Zaleski.

Sixteen of his professional wins have come by submission.
    With a five-win, five-finish streak behind him and the Legacy FC Welterweight title around his waist, Alex Morono (13-3) entered UFC two Januarys ago and defied +300 odds to scrape past Kyle Noke. After battering James Moontasri, he suffered a brutal knockout loss to Niko Price that was later overturned because Price testing positive for marijuana.
    Ten of his 13 wins have come by stoppage.
    I’m not entirely sure why Morono’s style works, but it does. He hurls punches with his arms fully-extended, but they somehow manage to land and land hard. Unfortunately for him, Nakamura hasn’t been knocked out in almost a decade and stood up to some lethal punchers in Li and Zaleski.
    Morono’s relentlessness and power, combined with Nakamura’s iffy fight IQ, should make for a competitive fight throughout. Nakamura’s grappling edge and durability have me leaning his way. He scores enough takedowns and takes enough dominant positions to earn a narrow win.
    Prediction: Nakamura by split decision

125 lbs.: Jussier Formiga vs. Yuta Sasaki

Once the king of the Flyweight division, Jussier Formiga (19-5) suffered losses in two of his first three UFC appearances before putting together a three-fight win streak. He has recently fallen into another 1-2 slump, most recently dropping a controversial decision to Ray Borg in March.

He will give up five inches of height and four inches of reach to Yuta Sasaki (20-4-2).
    Following consecutive one-sided losses to Leandro Issa and Taylor Lapilus, “Ulka” made the drop to Flyweight and found new life with two wins in three appearances. His last time out, he submitted Justin Scoggins as a +400 underdog and earned a “Performance of the Night” bonus in the process.
    Eleven of his professional victories have come by submission.
    Well, if nothing else, at least this is another opportunity for Sasaki to surprise people. Formiga’s got the best back control in the division and among the best in the entire sport. “Ulka” simply won’t find the openings he needs to employ his opportunistic submission game — once Formiga has the hooks in, he’s staying there until the bell rings or you tap.
    Sasaki can’t be counted out, but I see a repeat of his loss to Issa as Formiga dominates position before wrapping up a rear-naked choke.
    Prediction: Formiga via first-round submission

115 lbs.:
    Syuri Kondo vs. Chan Mi Jeon

Syuri Kondo (5-0) — a former kickboxing and professional wrestling standout — has spent the entirety of her career under the venerable Pancrase banner, debuting in April 2016. Just four months ago, she fought for the promotion’s Strawweight title and walked away with a unanimous decision win.
    She is eight years older than Chan Mi Jeon (5-1).
    Rampant aggression carried Jeon to four (technical) knockouts in her first five fights, setting up a UFC debut against J.J. Aldrich in June. Despite a spirited effort, Jeon fell short in Auckland after missing weight by two pounds.
    Three of her four knockouts have come within a minute.
    Kondo looks like a quality signing — she’s got a crisp one-two combination, solid knees in the clinch and decent grappling as well. Her big issue right now is that she’s too linear; in fact, I don’t think I saw a single hook in one of her recent fights and she has a bad habit of leaving her head on the inside after firing the right hand.
    Luckily for her, Jeon isn’t much for angles, either. While she has enough power to punish Kondo’s defensive lapses, she’ll struggle to get past her opponent’s jab. Unless she can keep Kondo on the fence for long enough to do real damage with her knees, expect Kondo to pile up the one-two combinations on the way to a clear decision win.
    Prediction: Kondo via unanimous decision
    Points Awarded:

Sanity Check gave JIBBBY 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

PaperTrail07

After seeing the fighters next to each other....Dy has a good bit of size over ishI....I also like my Rosa bet more....looks bigger and more Fit......might pump the breaks on ishi....

Shagdogy

After seeing the fighters next to each other....Dy has a good bit of size over ishI....I also like my Rosa bet more....looks bigger and more Fit......might pump the breaks on ishi....
    Rosa's hands are such trash that Burgos just walked through him and put a beating on him. Hirota isn't as vicious but he has a good chin and it's doubtful Rosa can make him respect him on the feet. Both guys have just ok takedowns and are good on the ground but Rosa doesn't really commit to fighting off takedowns all that much since he's confident from his back. I don't see a real strong edge either way in this one.

Where did you see them side by side? I actually thought Dy might be the smaller of the two.

1234 ... Last