Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Ultimate tournament. All weight classes. Your entire roll on it. Who do you take?

Today, if you had to bet your entire bankroll on one fighter. Every guy in MMA, in a tournament. All fights are 1 round, unlimited time, no breaks, until one guy quits or dies. March Madness style. No need to get to technical. You can take a big guy because he has the size and power. Or a smaller guy b/c he has cardio and quickness. If you have to put everything you have on one guy, who is it?

All things considered, toughness, heart, power, strength, skills, stamina.

I would have to say i'd take fedor. I think his combination or skill, power, and mental toughness would overwhelm most opponents, even smaller quicker guys, before they would be able to wear him out.

Another guy who i would like is Don Frye. Not because of his skills. But because of his insane toughness and heart. If his life depends on it, it's hard for me to see Don Frye quitting.

Tree Rollins

the reason i throw the name Don Frye out there is because i don't want people to think i'm just coming up with a fancy way to ask for your p4p rankings. It's more then that. You put any 2 guys in an alley and only one can walk out. You gotta bet everything on it. Your roll, your house, whatever.

ecpenguin
    ecpenguin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anderson Silva. He walks around heavy enough to stay competitive against any division. I'm a little worried that, in a 1 round, single elimination tournament, a wrestler would grind out a W (ala Dan Henderson in the first round of their fight).

Really interesting question, though. I would love to take 64 top martial artists and seed that tourney. I think seeding would determine everything. In such a case, who would your 4 number one seeds be? 4 number twos?

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Would be interesting to see Silva bulked up to heavyweight. Not the bloated looking Silva you see when he is out of camp, but if he adds more muscle and is a lean 225 - 230. Would he loss any of his speed?

butt rock hero
    butt rock hero's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fedor is still the baddest man in MMA.

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

If Brock Lesnar was healthy, Id say him, but I hate to admit it, but probably Fedor would beat a free for all.

The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

A healthy Brock Lesnar.

Tree Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by ecpenguin View Post
    Anderson Silva. He walks around heavy enough to stay competitive against any division. I'm a little worried that, in a 1 round, single elimination tournament, a wrestler would grind out a W (ala Dan Henderson in the first round of their fight).

Really interesting question, though. I would love to take 64 top martial artists and seed that tourney. I think seeding would determine everything. In such a case, who would your 4 number one seeds be? 4 number twos?
    Love that question. Before the tourny starts, you won't know whether big guys or small guys have an advantage. So your one seeds will have to have a little of both. I think you have to give a one seed to Fedor. Anderson Silva. GSP. and then maybe a Bj penn or machida or rampage. Whatever, whoever you like. 1 seeds just should be guys who could match up well with fighters of all sizes and skill-sets.

To win a tournament like this you would have to be extremely versatile. I don't think a huge guy who lays on people would have the stamina to pull it off. And a small guy like Jose Aldo would get overwhelmed eventually by the size of his competitors.

Guys like silva, Mousasi, Fedor, Shogun, Machida, Henderson, etc etc. They would probably do well.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would go with Fedor for sure.

Tree Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    I would go with Fedor for sure.
    If you had to bet on one guy other then Fedor. The guy who you would put all your money on to have the best chance of beating Fedor. Who'd it be?

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd like to see Mir 2.0 vs Fedor. Now that hes added the weight. Lesnar would be a good fight also, but who knows if he's fully recovered, and Fedor doesn't really seem to have problems with bigger guys. Also Lesnar even though he's very tough I do believe he has a long way to go to reach his true mma potential. Mir's stand up has improved a lot and he's never been submitted or knocked out. With Mir's size on Fedor and his skills with stand up and on the ground, it would be hard for Fedor to finish him.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

no doubt in my mind who i pick, no time limit?

BIG NOG

Busterflywheel
    Busterflywheel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

NOG better strive for KO..

knownone
    knownone's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Big Nog pick made me think a little if it's no time limit I've gotta go old school; I'd take a prime Sakuraba,If we're talking current top guys Junior Dos Santos he's young and confident.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

brock. his athletism and strength makes him hard to deal with. plus i dont see his ego coming in to play by him abandoining his strengths just to show off other skills

squallsquall
    squallsquall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Still Fedor, although he's not getting any younger...

kjh
    kjh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14969

Fedor

clarkd32
    clarkd32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

lesnar if healthy would be my pick

Tree Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by knownone View Post
    The Big Nog pick made me think a little if it's no time limit I've gotta go old school; I'd take a prime Sakuraba,If we're talking current top guys Junior Dos Santos he's young and confident.
    Agree. Big Nog doesn't even know that the word 'quit' exists, he's never even heard of it. To beat Big Nog in a tourny like this, you'd really wanna take him out early.

Tree Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by squallsquall View Post
    Still Fedor, although he's not getting any younger...
    Because of Fedor's skill set, it's hard to pick against him. He has to much in his arsenal. He doesn't need a full gas take to beat you, or even half. He can be lying on his back and dead tired and still break one of your bones.

crownontheground
    crownontheground's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fedor

MickChunky
    Dillishaw +715!
    MickChunky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

Are we talking about a cage or ring? The cage benefits wrestlers so much, in a ring I'd have to go with a HW version of Anderson Silva.

Juve11
    Juve11's Avatar Become A Pro!

If it were no rules I would say Brock would do pretty well with that hunting gun!

kisado
    kisado's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 38

Fedor, obviously. Then, Lyoto or Mousasi imo. Because, they have the ability to expend very little energy in their fights.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6172

I'm a Fedor guy but Anderson Silva would fcuk Fedor up right now...that's the truth.

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

I go with Brock Lesnar here.

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

But Fedor is obviously a close second for me. Close call.