Luca Fury
    I make my living betting on MMA
    Luca Fury's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 757

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Good to hear that, man. I'm glad that you're getting some success. I was an on-off listener for some time, and while I thought that marketing using the winning percentage of your picks was a bit misleading, I did think you both had quite a few moments of legitimate insight. Why is Adam no longer on the podcast by the way?
    Every decision made regarding the podcast is based on fan feedback. When we were just giving our free opinions and were aiming to please the most people, it didn't make sense to do the 2 parts but now it does, hence the switch.

We now give exact bet and unit size , and track them too, but for that we had to split the podcast into 2 parts and the second one with our exact bets isn't released until after weigh ins. We don't know the exact size, etc, until after we see guys on the scale, the limits go up, and the lines move, so we have to wait til after weigh ins before we can give exact bets and sizes. That's actually how it was when we first started out the podcast but we changed it to the single part released early in the week because most of our listeners preferred that.

Since making the switch to a paid model, though, the audience is the more serious gambler. So we now do the 2 parts because that's what that specific audience prefers. Also. it would be absurd to have someone pay and not give them exact bets and unit size. So we give the exact bets and track them as well both on the podcast and in text form on the site. Part 1 of the podcast with just our picks and breakdowns for those is still free, though.

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Fury View Post
    Every decision made regarding the podcast is based on fan feedback. When we were just giving our free opinions and were aiming to please the most people, it didn't make sense to do the 2 parts but now it does, hence the switch.

We now give exact bet and unit size , and track them too, but for that we had to split the podcast into 2 parts and the second one with our exact bets isn't released until after weigh ins. We don't know the exact size, etc, until after we see guys on the scale, the limits go up, and the lines move, so we have to wait til after weigh ins before we can give exact bets and sizes. That's actually how it was when we first started out the podcast but we changed it to the single part released early in the week because most of our listeners preferred that.

Since making the switch to a paid model, though, the audience is the more serious gambler. So we now do the 2 parts because that's what that specific audience prefers. Also. it would be absurd to have someone pay and not give them exact bets and unit size. So we give the exact bets and track them as well both on the podcast and in text form on the site. Part 1 of the podcast with just our picks and breakdowns for those is still free, though.
    I am curious why you don't have sponsors/commercials during your podcasts for extra money?

Ron_Paul_2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    I am curious why you don't have sponsors/commercials during your podcasts for extra money?
    It seems to me that more people listen to your podcast (or at least should) instead of some of the other MMA but non bet specific podcasts. I should probably take the time to give you some props. I have used your podcasts to reconfirm some big bets in the past. Tape is studied & analyzed to death before I make my picks & plays. However, I will occasionally increase the size of bets that I have already made after listening to your podcast and/or after reading some of the comments on this board from Wannabet, Imsmarter, MD, Vaughany, Nunya, & a few others. I go out of my way to avoid comments or podcasts before my bets are already decided. The reason being that if other independent intelligent minds have the same assessments & conclusions as I, then I have more confidence in my pick. I think it is important that an "echo chamber affect" must be avoided. Thus the word independent. Take care & bye for now.

Luca Fury

5Dimes sponsors us but that's it. We've had several other offers for sponsors but I just prefer to have one who we can say "presented by ___" at the beginning and that's it. I can't stand it when I listen to other podcasts (which is rarely), and they SPAM the hell out of you with commercials, plugs or sponsors. It completely ruins the enjoyment and flow of the podcast.

Look at Sherdog's podcasts, they are the WORST offender of ad spamming. They run an ad at the beginning of each show, then have a 5 minute commercial break every 15-30 minutes, filled with the same god damn ads. It's horrible to listen to and the funny part is despite all their ad spamming, they LOSE money on them. They only have the radio there to hopefully draw more viewers to the site off of iTunes and the like.

Ron_Paul_2012

5Dimes sponsors us but that's it. We've had several other offers for sponsors but I just prefer to have one who we can say "presented by ___" at the beginning and that's it. I can't stand it when I listen to other podcasts (which is rarely), and they SPAM the hell out of you with commercials, plugs or sponsors. It completely ruins the enjoyment and flow of the podcast.

Look at Sherdog's podcasts, they are the WORST offender of ad spamming. They run an ad at the beginning of each show, then have a 5 minute commercial break every 15-30 minutes, filled with the same god damn ads. It's horrible to listen to and the funny part is despite all their ad spamming, they LOSE money on them. They only have the radio there to hopefully draw more viewers to the site off of iTunes and the like.
    OK. Understandable. I haven't watched the tele since 2006. I mostly read & listen to podcasts instead. There are a few tv shows that I keep up with but for the most part I don't watch television. I really don't mind commercials for free podcasts. I suppose that's why they are free. You know the only sherdog podcast's I ever listen to are the pre fight friday roundup and beat down after the bell. Listening to some of those writer's break down fights & announce current odds then make picks is down right funny. It really makes me wonder how serious they take their job's.

Luca Fury

OK. Understandable. I haven't watched the tele since 2006. I mostly read & listen to podcasts instead. There are a few tv shows that I keep up with but for the most part I don't watch television. I really don't mind commercials for free podcasts. I suppose that's why they are free. You know the only sherdog podcast's I ever listen to are the pre fight friday roundup and beat down after the bell. Listening to some of those writer's break down fights & announce current odds then make picks is down right funny. It really makes me wonder how serious they take their job's.
    I used to work for them until I quit and was on several of those shows. Trust me, they don't know much when it comes to breaking down fighters and fights. I always LOL when they give out bets since they are so bad. They always recommend 8 team underdog parlays and stuff, haha.

They don't do any kind of tape study and a lot of them don't even watch the facebook prelims. They do the show for entertainment, not to provide any real insight. Make me laugh every time I hear them say they have "the best pre-fight analysis in the business" when you can honestly find more in-depth, knowledgeable breakdowns on their forums.

They literally BEGGED me to stay and offered me all kinds of stuff, like my own show, since I was the only one there who knew a damn thing. Best part is they are butthurt I left and bash me on air sometimes for having my own podcast, then they send me emails later asking if I'm interested in working for them again or being on one of their shows. It's hilarious! I had to change my phone number so TJ, their head of the radio, would stop nagging me.
    Last edited by Luca Fury; 08-06-13 at 02:54 AM.

Ron_Paul_2012

I used to work for them until I quit and was on several of those shows. Trust me, they don't know much when it comes to breaking down fighters and fights. I always LOL when they give out bets since they are so bad. They always recommend 8 team underdog parlays and stuff, haha.

They don't do any kind of tape study and a lot of them don't even watch the facebook prelims. They do the show for entertainment, not to provide any real insight. Make me laugh every time I hear them say they have "the best pre-fight analysis in the business" when you can honestly find more in-depth, knowledgeable breakdowns on their forums.

They literally BEGGED me to stay and offered me all kinds of stuff, like my own show, since I was the only one there who knew a damn thing. Best part is they are butthurt I left and bash me on air sometimes for having my own podcast, then they send me emails later asking if I'm interested in working for them again or being on one of their shows. It's hilarious! I had to change my phone number so TJ, their head of the radio, would stop nagging me.

I believe that a lot of the success in MMA betting boils down to one's ability to recognize patterns of human behavior. The same part of the brain that is used in Stanford Binet I.Q. testing. I would be very curious to know how well some of the posters on this board test.

Luca Fury

I believe that a lot of the success in MMA betting boils down to one's ability to recognize patterns of human behavior. The same part of the brain that is used in Stanford Binet I.Q. testing. I would be very curious to know how well some of the posters on this board test.
    I did an IQ test in high school. The kind with the standard 100 is average, 130 is gifted, 140+ is genius. I scored 146 -- genius level.

Of course the trolls on here will doubt that and blah blah

Ron_Paul_2012

I did an IQ test in high school. The kind with the standard 100 is average, 130 is gifted, 140+ is genius. I scored 146 -- genius level.

Of course the trolls on here will doubt that and blah blah
    Do you find that you are also good at sizing people (strangers) up. At the bar, coffee shops, parties etc.

Ron_Paul_2012

Do you find that you are also good at sizing people (strangers) up. At the bar, coffee shops, parties etc.
    That's all I'm doing when I study fight footage & interviews. I am simply sizing the two fighters up.

Luca Fury

What do you mean by "sizing them up"?

Ron_Paul_2012

What do you mean by "sizing them up"?
    I was well known by my friends for having the ability to size people up or your ability to read someone. It means that you are good at telling certain things about a person based on body language, the way they are dressed, the way they talk, the way they carry themselves, the vibe they give off, etc. So I would accurately be able to tell someone many things about themselves after talking to them for only a few minutes or just studying them from across the room. Their favorite types of music, movies, what their College major is or what they are currently doing for a living, if they were the type who never wanted to have children or conversely wanted to have a big family etc,. My friends would always ask me how I knew. The answer is simple pattern recognition skills. Skills that have been honed after years of practice.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

If you're talking TJ De Santis or whatever, that guy annoys the shit out of me. He is THE worst media judge on the planet, he consistently releases awful scorecards. Horrendous, and should never be allowed to do the play-by-plays again.

Luca Fury

If you're talking TJ De Santis or whatever, that guy annoys the shit out of me. He is THE worst media judge on the planet, he consistently releases awful scorecards. Horrendous, and should never be allowed to do the play-by-plays again.
    Yes, he is the head of their radio. He is extremely lazy and made me do all the work while he gets paid a salary and would go play golf while i was doing his job. That's why he literally BEGGED me to stay. At one point he said these exact words: "I'll do anything you want, just please don't quit."

Luca Fury

I was well known by my friends for having the ability to size people up or your ability to read someone. It means that you are good at telling certain things about a person based on body language, the way they are dressed, the way they talk, the way they carry themselves, the vibe they give off, etc. So I would accurately be able to tell someone many things about themselves after talking to them for only a few minutes or just studying them from across the room. Their favorite types of music, movies, what their College major is or what they are currently doing for a living, if they were the type who never wanted to have children or conversely wanted to have a big family etc,. My friends would always ask me how I knew. The answer is simple pattern recognition skills. Skills that have been honed after years of practice.
    I do that to some extent and am accurate at it. I can tell if someone is a dick from the moment they walk in the room, or if they're mentally weak and easily manipulated. I would describe it the same way you did, it's just a "vibe." Can easily tell just by the way they present themselves, be it the look on their face or their posture. Their clothes are less accurate because people wear certain things or a certain style to intentionally make them look like a certain type of person.

There are situations where the clothes along with their posture, expression, etc will tell a broader story, though. Like fi someone is clearly mentally weak but is wearing clothes that make them look tough, you can tell they're insecure and likely lie to make themselves look better.

Then there are times where someone wears clothes that make them look tough, but you can tell by their eyes that they actually are tough as well.

When I used to play poker, I was insanely good at reading people and picking up tells, but I never dedicated enough time to learn the actual strategy of it to become a good player. It's something I plan on delving into eventually since I already know advanced gambling theory and have a natural player reading ability. I know that once I dedicate the time and effort to learning the strategies and nuances, I will be a good player.
    Last edited by Luca Fury; 08-06-13 at 05:34 AM.

Ron_Paul_2012

I do that to some extent and am accurate at it. I can tell if someone is a dick from the moment they walk in the room, or if they're mentally weak and easily manipulated. I would describe it the same way you did, it's just a "vibe." Can easily tell just by the way they present themselves, be it the look on their face or their posture. Their clothes are less accurate because people wear certain things or a certain style to intentionally make them look like a certain type of person.

There are situations where the clothes along with their posture, expression, etc will tell a broader story, though. Like fi someone is clearly mentally weak but is wearing clothes that make them look tough, you can tell they're insecure and likely lie to make themselves look better.

Then there are times where someone wears clothes that make them look tough, but you can tell by their eyes that they actually are tough as well.

When I used to play poker, I was insanely good at reading people and picking up tells, but I never dedicated enough time to learn the actual strategy of it to become a good player. It's something I plan on delving into eventually since I already know advanced gambling theory and have a natural player reading ability. I know that once I dedicate the time and effort to learning the strategies and nuances, I will be a good player.
    Yes. I suspected as much. I've noticed all the things you mentioned as well. It seems that every person that I've met that is an excellent poker player & combat sports gambler has either a high IQ &/or Intuition. It's just something I've noticed over the years.
    Last edited by Ron_Paul_2012; 08-06-13 at 12:13 PM.

FightFightFight
    FightFightFight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

Awww. Wucas got a fwend.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

This paragraph makes me giggle for so many reasons.

Every bad player I know tells me how they're so good at reading people and if they just knew how to ACTUALLY PLAY they'd be the best player around.

Guess what the least useful skill in poker is? It's reading people and picking up tells. By A MILE. All the internet guys come to the WSOP, being a bucket of tells, and having no ability to even talk to human beings. They still destroy the live players.

Winning at poker at the lowest levels requires only one skill, patience. Winning poker at the highest levels requires the ability to do very simple math problems quickly as well as an innate understanding of applied game theory and multi-level thinking. As well as a healthy disrespect for money.

And WTF is advanced gambling theory?
    Points Awarded:

JustinOpinion gave NunyaBidness 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

On2TheNext1 gave NunyaBidness 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post

Every bad player I know tells me how they're so good at reading people and if they just knew how to ACTUALLY PLAY they'd be the best player around.

Guess what the least useful skill in poker is? It's reading people and picking up tells. By A MILE. All the internet guys come to the WSOP, being a bucket of tells, and having no ability to even talk to human beings. They still destroy the live players.

Winning at poker at the lowest levels requires only one skill, patience.
    Winning poker at the highest levels requires the ability to do very simple math problems quickly as well as an innate understanding of applied game theory and multi-level thinking. As well as a healthy disrespect for money.

I think the biggest misunderstanding at the lowest levels is that people don't realize that they don't need to play optimally, or even well. The style that crushes the micros is a style that, if any decent 50 NL player sits down at your table, he'll pick you apart, and that's just fine. Every person I know who struggles at the micros (which is a huge hurdle for most poker players, I'll admit; micros ain't no joke bro) is so worried about making the right decisions that they're missing out on profitable spots where they can make bad decisions. The same as how SNG players have issues understanding how ICM can be a negative proposition playing against a donk who will call you with J2o.

TL;DR exploitable works at the micros.

Ron_Paul_2012

Winning at poker at the lowest levels requires only one skill, patience. Winning poker at the highest levels requires the ability to do very simple math problems quickly as well as an innate understanding of applied game theory and multi-level thinking. As well as a healthy disrespect for money.

I concur with your post. Everything that you mentioned is dependent on I.Q. So there is no contradiction here. If you notice I used the words I.Q. & Intuition as they are separate/different abilities. However, if used together at a high level, one can benefit immensely from a synergistic affect.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

It's actually doing better than we expected. For the first event we had over double our goal and the second one we had nearly triple.
    What is the average yearly rate of return?

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    The sample size is so insignificant as to make any sort of assumption about future results.

MD

Based on two months' results?

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

Based on two months' results?
    No I am assuming that he has managed a bankroll before this.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

No I am assuming that he has managed a bankroll before this.
    Well, whatever it is, it's some number less than the amount required for a grown man to move out of his mother's house.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Lives with mom. Self proclaimed high IQ... Reminds me of my favorite Armenian cousin...

Luca Fury

Well, whatever it is, it's some number less than the amount required for a grown man to move out of his mother's house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Educ8d Degener8 View Post
    Lives with mom. Self proclaimed high IQ... Reminds me of my favorite Armenian cousin...
    I love how because I lived at home when I worked at Sherdog making their pitiful $10 an a hour, that it means I must live at home for the rest of my life and have never moved out since.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

First time you've ever denied it. Last time we talked you said you were living at home to hopefully some day save up $50k.

Luca Fury

First time you've ever denied it. Last time we talked you said you were living at home to hopefully some day save up $50k.
    That was over a year ago. And sorry, i didn't know I was required to make a thread updating people on my life. Should I also make threads announcing what I bought from the grocery store each week? I guess I should announce when I get my hair cut too.

And yeah, I was planning on compiling 50k in my savings account before I moved across the country to a different state. Meaning 50K outside of my bankroll and my regular bank account that I use on bills, food, etc. 50k that would go untouched that was only there for when I needed it to fall back on. I specified this a year ago when I mentioned it.

It's hard to keep building your bankroll, pay bills AND save up an additional 50k that you don't plan on spending. On top of that, I no longer want to move to California so I have to decide on where I want to go. This requires taking trips and visiting cities/states. Doesn't mean I didn't move to somewhere else in the same state I already live in.
    Last edited by Luca Fury; 08-06-13 at 06:37 PM.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Moved out a year ago. So, you must be around 19 then?

Luca Fury

Moved out a year ago. So, you must be around 19 then?
    I'm 24 and lived in a rich neighborhood thanks to my parents formally having wealth. They don't have the wealth anymore, but they bought and paid for the house long ago so were able to keep it. I was in no rush to move out of an enormous house in a fantastic location so I could move into some 1 bedroom apartment dump at the age of 19.

Ron_Paul_2012

That was over a year ago. And sorry, i didn't know I was required to make a thread updating people on my life. Should I also make threads announcing what I bought from the grocery store each week? I guess I should announce when I get my hair cut too.

And yeah, I was planning on compiling 50k in my savings account before I moved across the country to a different state. Meaning 50K outside of my bankroll and my regular bank account that I use on bills, food, etc. 50k that would go untouched that was only there for when I needed it to fall back on. I specified this a year ago when I mentioned it.

It's hard to keep building your bankroll, pay bills AND save up an additional 50k that you don't plan on spending. On top of that, I no longer want to move to California so I have to decide on where I want to go. This requires taking trips and visiting cities/states. Doesn't mean I didn't move to somewhere else in the same state I already live in.
    Why would you not want to come to Las Vegas?

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Vegas isnt what it used to be last I heard. Tell me something about it Ron...

Luca Fury

Why would you not want to come to Las Vegas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sato View Post
    Vegas isnt what it used to be last I heard. Tell me something about it Ron...
    I just don't really like it there. It's fun for a trip but to live there? Not my kind of place. Obviously it would be nice for gambling purposes but you can bet online easier and quicker from anywhere in the US.

I'm definitely targeting the southwest, though. Have some trips lined up for later this year to visit some places.

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

I'm 24 and lived in a rich neighborhood thanks to my parents formally having wealth. They don't have the wealth anymore, but they bought and paid for the house long ago so were able to keep it. I was in no rush to move out of an enormous house in a fantastic location so I could move into some 1 bedroom apartment dump at the age of 19.
    Wouldn't someone with an IQ of 146 know the difference between "formally" and "formerly"?

(in before auto-complete excuse)

First 1234 Last