Crassus
    Crassus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1058

Crassus' Combat Sports Thread

All the cool kids were doing it...

Plus I feel like it's just good karma for my bets.

So here's how it works just for future reference. 1U=1% of bankroll. I have two bankrolls going.

Regular Betting- this is ~95% of my total bankroll. (100U)

Stupid Betting-this is the remaining ~5% of my total bankroll. (100SU)

The stupid bets are not to be tailed, they're sort of for fun. They'll be lots of large parlays and 100% of bankroll bets on huge favorites. I dunno, just sort of appeals to me for some reason.

So my current plays are this

risking 6.28U
    Lyoto Machida
    Mauricio Rua
    to win 4.05U

10U parlay of
    Mauricio Rua
    Phil Davis
    to win 4.79UU

10U parlay of
    Mauricio Rua
    Phil Davis
    Lyoto Machida
    to win 9.72U

notice those are U and not SU because I'm a god damn idiot sometimes. I think they'll pull off and I think I actually have the advantage statistically but...the numbers in terms of bet size don't add up.

For Stupid bets

I'm throwing 60SU on Phil Davis straight up at the steal odds of -600 to win 10SU. If anyone wants to know WHY I'm so stupidly confident in these guys I'll throw it out there.

DocPolish
    DocPolish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Since it is just a stupid bet why not split the 60 into two bets, something like 40 on Davis and 20 on Vera. This way if Vera does pull off the upset and all your parlays lose you'll at least walk with something or is this not a smart way to bet?

Crassus

Quote Originally Posted by DocPolish View Post
    Since it is just a stupid bet why not split the 60 into two bets, something like 40 on Davis and 20 on Vera. This way if Vera does pull off the upset and all your parlays lose you'll at least walk with something or is this not a smart way to bet?
    I was thinking about putting some stuff on Vera and Bader straight up, but I just can't see them winning. MAYBE Bader can but I really doubt it.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by DocPolish View Post
    It's pretty smart, it can't lose. Sometimes I bet with my kids. I lay the one -110 that a coinflip is going to be heads, and I lay the other -110 that its going to be tails. I collect 100% of the time, not sure why the kids are so bad at gambling.

Crassus

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    It's pretty smart, it can't lose. Sometimes I bet with my kids. I lay the one -110 that a coinflip is going to be heads, and I lay the other -110 that its going to be tails. I collect 100% of the time, not sure why the kids are so bad at gambling.
    I'm not sure if that's an entirely apt analogy Nunya.
    Last edited by Crassus; 08-02-12 at 09:25 AM.

DirtyX
    Cut Clay Guida
    DirtyX's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
    All the cool kids were doing it...

Plus I feel like it's just good karma for my bets.

So here's how it works just for future reference. 1U=1% of bankroll. I have two bankrolls going.

Regular Betting- this is ~95% of my total bankroll. (100U)

Stupid Betting-this is the remaining ~5% of my total bankroll. (100SU)

The stupid bets are not to be tailed, they're sort of for fun. They'll be lots of large parlays and 100% of bankroll bets on huge favorites. I dunno, just sort of appeals to me for some reason.

So my current plays are this

risking 6.28U
    Lyoto Machida
    Mauricio Rua
    to win 4.05U

10U parlay of
    Mauricio Rua
    Phil Davis
    to win 4.79UU

10U parlay of
    Mauricio Rua
    Phil Davis
    Lyoto Machida
    to win 9.72U

notice those are U and not SU because I'm a god damn idiot sometimes. I think they'll pull off and I think I actually have the advantage statistically but...the numbers in terms of bet size don't add up.

For Stupid bets

I'm throwing 60SU on Phil Davis straight up at the steal odds of -600 to win 10SU. If anyone wants to know WHY I'm so stupidly confident in these guys I'll throw it out there.

Good luck man, and no offense, but I wouldn't recommend ever throwing 100% of your bankroll on any bet, period. I wouldn't even throw 50% of it on anyone, but that is just me. Statistics show, if you throw 100% down, you are almost garanteed to lose eventually. However, everyone does it different, so do your thing player. GL man.

Crassus

the 100% bankroll bets are from a much smaller bankroll I made. So it's like I have 2 bankrolls, one has 95% of the money I plan to bet with and is done smartly (sort of) and the other 5% is really reckless and stupid. It's sort of a test really, I want to see where things go wrong with the stupid bets.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

I'm not sure if that's an entirely apt analogy Nunya.
    To betting Rua and Vera, yes I think it is.

Crassus

To betting Rua and Vera, yes I think it is.
    I spose...does it make a difference if Rua's in a parlay and Vera SU? It seems a common enough strategy.

PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

I spose...does it make a difference if Rua's in a parlay and Vera SU? It seems a common enough strategy.
    it doesnt make a difference. you are paying the juice twice, regardless of whether its in a parlay or SU. but i do think this is a common strategy, at least it seems.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

It actually makes it worse than playing it SU vs SU. You're paying the juice both ways and now you have a chance to lose all bets, if for example Rua wins but your parlay goes down on another fight.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherIND View Post
    but i do think this is a common strategy, at least it seems.
    Yeah, you're definitely right, I think it stems from people not understanding how parlays actually work.

If the play doesn't make sense straight up it doesn't make sense in a parlay. This is almost always true.

DirtyX
    Cut Clay Guida

the 100% bankroll bets are from a much smaller bankroll I made. So it's like I have 2 bankrolls, one has 95% of the money I plan to bet with and is done smartly (sort of) and the other 5% is really reckless and stupid. It's sort of a test really, I want to see where things go wrong with the stupid bets.
    I see, two bankrolls is something I haven't heard before, but seems like you have it well thought out. It's funny dude, because I have wanted to throw it all down (100%) a couple times, but couldn't pull the trigger. Bendo vs Edgar is one fight where I really want to put it all on Henderson, but I just can't do it. I also want to throw it all on Rory Mac over Penn, but samething, can't. Bankroll Management is the reason why I am still here betting today, otherwise I would have lost all my $$$ years ago. Again, GL with your plays. This weekend is the first card where I am not making any plays. Imo, the lines are too high (beside Lauzon vs Varner) and I am just not confident in anything. Also, I am saving the $$ for the next couple cards, as I really like a couple plays coming up.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyX View Post
    This weekend is the first card where I am not making any plays.
    I agree. I just can't seem to find any value on this card at all. Not sure if its not there, or if I'm just too tied up with the olympics.

Crassus

Good to know about the double plays haha.

Dirty, I actually think a lot of the lines are steals. Rua and Machida should be -500 and Davis should be -1000 so I'm pretty happy I got em. I just went overboard with the bet sizes haha.

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

It actually makes it worse than playing it SU vs SU. You're paying the juice both ways and now you have a chance to lose all bets, if for example Rua wins but your parlay goes down on another fight.
    yea, if anything, i would wait until after the machida/bader fight. if the parlays are still alive, then you make the play on vera. assuming its feasible for you to make a last minute wager.

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

Yeah, you're definitely right, I think it stems from people not understanding how parlays actually work.

If the play doesn't make sense straight up it doesn't make sense in a parlay. This is almost always true.
    i think this is a very common misconception. people tend to feel that a parlay is somehow more than the sum of its parts. that you are somehow getting better odds by putting it in a parlay. i'll admit, i had this misconception for a long time until you explained it.

although, can you give me an example of when it doesnt make sense straight up but DOES make sense in a parlay?

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

i think this is a very common misconception. people tend to feel that a parlay is somehow more than the sum of its parts. that you are somehow getting better odds by putting it in a parlay. i'll admit, i had this misconception for a long time until you explained it.
    Glad I could help the rich get richer.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

although, can you give me an example of when it doesnt make sense straight up but DOES make sense in a parlay?
    If you find a line that has huge value (Dantes vs Vila for example), and you can't bet any more on it, you can add slightly -EV parlay legs to increase your exposure. If the line is far enough off you could even do something like Dantes/Vera and Dantes/Rua. (although you'd be better to do a fight that was -110/-110, but sticking with the example in this thread for clarity).

This also factors prominently in NFL teaser strategy.

Crassus

If you find a line that has huge value (Dantes vs Vila for example), and you can't bet any more on it, you can add slightly -EV parlay legs to increase your exposure. If the line is far enough off you could even do something like Dantes/Vera and Dantes/Rua. (although you'd be better to do a fight that was -110/-110, but sticking with the example in this thread for clarity).

why did you remind me about Dantes vs Vila...

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

why did you remind me about Dantes vs Vila...
    Was going to say Maia/Weidman, but then I figured some knucklehead would say that there was no value in the Maia line.

Crassus

Quote Originally Posted by nunyabidness View Post
    was going to say maia/weidman, but then i figured some knucklehead would say that there was no value in the maia line.
    he lost yo no value in lozers son!

PunisherIND
    myles jewry

gotcha. makes sense.

cheeese
    cheeese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

Nunya,

If you have a small bankroll and Rua is the last leg of a high paying parlay, wouldn't it be correct to hedge at least partially on Vera for eg reasons? Then when you get baller to where limits don't contrain you, you take the full exposure? Maybe I am misunderstanding the concept.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by cheeese View Post
    Nunya,

If you have a small bankroll and Rua is the last leg of a high paying parlay, wouldn't it be correct to hedge at least partially on Vera for eg reasons? Then when you get baller to where limits don't contrain you, you take the full exposure? Maybe I am misunderstanding the concept.
    If it was correct to do so, then it wouldn't have been correct to add Rua to the parlay in the first place. (Assuming no wild line moves).

To clarify, yes, theoretically, it may be correct to make that hedge due to bankroll concerns. But, if you find yourself in that situation your mistake occurred earlier, and one way or another you're flushing money down the toilet.
    Last edited by NunyaBidness; 08-02-12 at 02:51 PM.
    Points Awarded:

cheeese gave NunyaBidness 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyX View Post
    Good luck man, and no offense, but I wouldn't recommend ever throwing 100% of your bankroll on any bet, period. I wouldn't even throw 50% of it on anyone, but that is just me. Statistics show, if you throw 100% down, you are almost garanteed to lose eventually. However, everyone does it different, so do your thing player. GL man.
    Huh? Weren't you talking about going all-in on Bendo?

cheeese

If it was correct to do so, then it wouldn't have been correct to add Rua to the parlay in the first place. (Assuming no wild line moves).

To clarify, yes, theoretically, it may be correct to make that hedge due to bankroll concerns. But, if you find yourself in that situation your mistake occurred earlier, and one way or another you're flushing money down the toilet.
    So if there was a theoretical bet of "Rua wins a title shot in August of 2012" and I got it at 50-1, I would be justified hedging with Vera and sacrificing some EV in order to grow my roll and make more bets. But if I sell my chopper and have a huge roll I would just let it ride and start shopping for a new one?

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse

Quote Originally Posted by cheeese View Post
    So if there was a theoretical bet of "Rua wins a title shot in August of 2012" and I got it at 50-1, I would be justified hedging with Vera and sacrificing some EV in order to grow my roll and make more bets. But if I sell my chopper and have a huge roll I would just let it ride and start shopping for a new one?
    We're not really talking about the same thing anymore. Sure, you can justify that the tail end of a parlay looks like that, but it had many opportunities to lose that had nothing to do with the bet you're now claiming it is.

You're not getting 50-1 on a bet, you're getting 3-1 on a bet and using all the money that you won from your prior bets to make it. If you wouldn't take 3-1 on Rua from all your prior winnings in the parlay then you made a mistake.

The only justification would be going the other way, say you were a $1,000 a unit bettor, and you are now getting 50-1 on your parlay on 5Dimes for $1000. You had $100k in a dirty book, which has now absconded with all your funds. Your can scrape together another $5,000 from selling your grandmother. Should you hedge? Yes, of course. If the situation is any less dire, no you shouldn't.
    Points Awarded:

cheeese gave NunyaBidness 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

cheeese

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

DirtyX
    Cut Clay Guida

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Huh? Weren't you talking about going all-in on Bendo?

Ya dude, I was. LOL... I am throwing $1000.00 down on Bendo, or about 30% of my bankroll, not $2500.00 like I wanted to originally. But ya you're right I was talking about going all in on Bendo. What I was trying to say above is if one throws down 100% of their Bankroll on a consistent basis on fights that they consider "locks", they are almost garanteed to lose eventually. I do think a much bigger bet is warranted once in awhile on a fight that you love, but 100% or even 50% of my bankroll on any fight (no matter how much I like it) is too scary for me. I obviously changed my mind on going all in, or in other words, I pussed out. lol. Gabe, who you like this weekend? I am not making any plays myself, but was just curious what action you got on Saturday...?
    Last edited by DirtyX; 08-02-12 at 04:40 PM.

DirtyX
    Cut Clay Guida

Gabe, nevermind dude, I just saw your new August thread.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1932

I wouldn't bet against undefeated fighters, but that's just me. Davis should win his fight, but I wouldn't lock it.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not really a fan of your parlays. I think you would be better off paying the juice on each separately. If anyone loses you will lose big and your one or zero parlays left will barely bring back any money. If you like a parlay on high priced fighters like this I would recommend doing the 3 way parlay and then hitting them straight up as well rather than having 3 individual parlays. You would probably want to risk a little more hitting them straight bets, but you are far more likely to break even or come close to breaking even if one loses.

Either way good luck with your bets.

Crassus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    I'm not really a fan of your parlays. I think you would be better off paying the juice on each separately. If anyone loses you will lose big and your one or zero parlays left will barely bring back any money. If you like a parlay on high priced fighters like this I would recommend doing the 3 way parlay and then hitting them straight up as well rather than having 3 individual parlays. You would probably want to risk a little more hitting them straight bets, but you are far more likely to break even or come close to breaking even if one loses.

Either way good luck with your bets.
    Fair nuff. I'm not the biggest fan of parlays either but it just didn't work out in the best way possible. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    I wouldn't bet against undefeated fighters, but that's just me. Davis should win his fight, but I wouldn't lock it.
    You can see my posts in the UFC on Fox 4 thread, but if you look into it, Prado's faced absolute jokes of competition.

DeFactoCrippler
    DEFACTO© SAVES IDIOTS AND GONZOIDS
    DeFactoCrippler's Avatar Become A Pro!

it doesnt make a difference. you are paying the juice twice, regardless of whether its in a parlay or SU. but i do think this is a common strategy, at least it seems.

Lock McLoughlan is an immortal lock, but they is NO WAY I can pay that -600 price because laying that much chalk is a losing proposition in the long run.

The only value is in parlaying him with the Yankees at -200.

1234 ... Last