The HOFF
    The HOFF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

GSP statement offers rematch; Penn accepts

From mmaweekly.com

Following a storm of controversy after his win at UFC 94, welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre has released a statement regarding the recent allegations concerning his performance and the Vaseline incident involving his corners.

St. Pierre stated to MMAWeekly Radio on Wednesday that he is moving past this situation and simply looking to the future, and this will be the official statement from him to the world regarding the matter.

"George St. Pierre’s successful welterweight title defense at UFC 94 was the direct result of his disciplined preparation and skillful execution of a masterful gameplan. Any implication to the contrary would diminish the significance of
    what was perhaps the biggest fight in MMA history," the statement read.

St. Pierre added, “I have never cheated in my life, and as my fans know, I am deeply committed to upholding the integrity of the sport. My entire camp and I have been completely open about what happened during my fight at UFC
    94 – we have nothing to hide."

He went on to address the ritual that coach Greg Jackson attributed to witch doctor Steve Friend, who has worked closely with St. Pierre with an energy inducing technique. "One of my cornermen did use an energy technique to help with my breathing that involves rubbing my back. He’s also done this in my previous fights. If there was any Vaseline left on his hand after he put it on my face, it was unintentional, and I do not believe it made the slightest difference in the outcome of the fight.

"Of course it’s up to the UFC, but I would be happy to offer B.J. a second rematch," said St. Pierre. "I am confident the outcome will be the same."

The statement concluded with the camp focusing on the future. "Team GSP is currently enjoying our victory celebration and we will soon turn our attention and focus toward Georges’ next competitor – Thiago Alves."

Penn, on his official website, BJPenn.com, accepted St. Pierre's offer of another rematch, "To the untrained eye the grease might not look like much, but every grappler knows the effect that it has. Being able to apply your submissions and sweeps or just being able to hold on to your opponent to defend yourself from being hit is absolutely critical! ... I hereby accept George St. Pierre and Greg Jackson’s challenge for a fight in the summer 2009. Lets call Dana now and set it up."

With Alves patiently awaiting his title shot against St. Pierre, and Kenny Florian anxious for his opportunity at Penn's lightweight belt, another rematch between St. Pierre and Penn isn't likely to happen this summer, but the stage is being set.

Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Let it happen. I like easy money as much as the next guy. But even more, I like watching cocky, pudgy Hawaiians get beat down like a satanic cat that just pissed in your cereal.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

HA wow, i will be all over GSP this time.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

GSP is as powerful at 170 at Hughes was in his prime w/much better standup! Obviously...Penn can't hang..why do we need a rematch?? We NEED a GSP/Spider Silva supermatch!! Fireworks galore!! There is nobody who can push Fedor at heavyweight and Dana White is too much of an arrogant prick to get him into UFC and find him some competition!

brooks85

silva/gsp same thing as gsp/penn. Size matters and Silva would man handle gsp, i would think.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

I wonder if Dana makes this fight happen later this year. After Alves who really is in line to fight GSP (if he wins) for the WW title. The same can be said for Penn/Florian who is there a real clear cut fight that can be made for the lighweight belt. I say after if they both defend there belts they do a 3rd match. Also Anderson Silva is said to have Leites then Okami linned up.

brooks85

Leites is on a streak and their is no one else left in the division haha. Okami, however, I cant wait to see fight him. They fought just over 2 years ago and silva landed a knock with his heel from guard haha. However, it was ruled a DQ and Okami got the win.