MMASpeculator
    MMASpeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 492

UFC 137: Diaz/Penn Short Breakdown

I'm liking this fight a lot based on entertainment AND betting value.

BJ Penn (-130):

16-7-2
    5'9"
    70" reach
    1-1-1 last 3 fights: (Fitch/draw, Hughes/win, Edgar (loss)

Nick Diaz (+100):

25-7-0
    6'1"
    74" reach
    3-0 last 3 fights (Daley/Win, Santos/Win, Noons/Win)

Let's get the discussion started.

It will be a good one as they both love to stand and trade. BJ has very good boxing and head movement, and if you're anyone not named Frankie Edgar, you will probably be outboxed by his accurate strikes and bobble-head-like movement. Diaz, however, was able to outbox a professional boxer, KJ Noons, and also has a very good stiff jab. They both have granite chins, although BJ has never been knocked down. Cardio wise, it's easy to give it to Diaz as he's a triathelete and has gone 5 rounds on numerous occasions without ever fading.

As you can see, they both have skills. I think it will boil down to cardio and will, and Diaz cannot be questioned for either of those.

Standup -- Diaz (has the reach)
    Ground -- EVEN (won world title BJJ, but haven't proved himself lately and Diaz is a Cesar Gracie BJJ blackbelt.. arguably the most difficult one to attain)
    Cardio -- Diaz (Obvious)

I've put $100 on Diaz (+100) so far.. will probably put more on parlays come fight time.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

If BJ comes out and wrestles the way he did Fitch he should easily win 2/3 rounds.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Penn is smart and if NCAA Penn comes to fight (likely), Diaz is going to be frustrated and decisioned. At -130 or better I'm loving Penn.

proposition joe
    proposition joe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    Penn is smart and if NCAA Penn comes to fight (likely), Diaz is going to be frustrated and decisioned. At -130 or better I'm loving Penn.
    Agreed. Any Penn beats Diaz. K-1 Penn, ADCC Penn, or NCAA Penn. It's his fight to lose.

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

Quote Originally Posted by proposition joe View Post
    Agreed. Any Penn beats Diaz. K-1 Penn, ADCC Penn, or NCAA Penn. It's his fight to lose.
    lol, well i don't know if k-1 penn beats diaz, but i agree.

the only penn that loses this fight is kfc penn.

MMASpeculator
    MMASpeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 492

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    If BJ comes out and wrestles the way he did Fitch he should easily win 2/3 rounds.
    I dunno if he'll use this game plan because Diaz is no slouch on the ground. And if he does this, he'll exhaust a lot of energy. And a gassed out BJ will be peppered with jabs all day in round 3.

I have a feeling this will stay standing. BJ is probably the better boxer but Diaz knows how use his reach really well and has amazing recovery even when he's caught like in the Daley and Gomi fight.

flickavic
    Lets Go Skins !!!
    flickavic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I agree with MMASpeculator and I have been putting a little $ on Diaz each week...I think hes better standing,BJ has better wrestling,and a draw on the ground,Diaz huge advantage in the gas tank category.
    Last edited by flickavic; 10-14-11 at 07:55 PM.