sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Comier/Bigfoot STRIKEFORCE 9/10

I want to hear your thoughts on this fight since this is my numero uno trust forum when it comes to putting up my money. When I first saw the odds on this fight I was baffled. I know Cormier is a beast and one of the best wrestlers ever to hop on over to MMA, but the man just beat a washed up Jeff Monson and that's his biggest win. He also should be fighting at LHW, but never will because of kidney problems in the past that prevent him from making the cut. So he's forced to use his wrestling and athleticism to compete w/ the big guys. Against a huge HW like Bigfoot I just don't think things are going to go his way.

Silva has more experience, fought the better competition, has a big weight advantage (around 50 lbs by fight night), a 7" height advantage, 10" reach advantage, and has never been KO'd. Do you truly think Cormier can wrestlefvck to a win here? And if you do and you're on Cormier you may as well wait for a decision prop if it comes up. In terms of size comparison this is going to look a lot like Fedor/Bigfoot all over again. I know Daniel is a smart guy and will have a gameplan involving getting this to the ground asap... but I cannot see him holding Bigfoot down and controlling him at all. Silva has 15 minutes to soften up Cormier in the standup and look for the sub if he doesn't TKO him first. Size matters here and I'm putting 8u on Bigfoot at -160 as I think he's going to be too much for Cormier at this point in his career.

Current line at 5dimes is
    Cormier +135
    Bigfoot -165

I see no value in Cormier unless he hits +200 and even then I'd be hesitant. But hey, we all have different views and I have been persuaded here many a times to go the other way by Vaughany, Kos, Ladle and others. So who do you have here and why? Or are you just staying away altogether? I know it's not a lock, but I am extremely confident in Bigfoot seeing as though he has more ways to win this.
    Last edited by sirchadwick1; 08-19-11 at 11:43 AM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

I've got almost 5 units on Bigfoot at -150. May hedge with Cormier by decision, find it very hard to imagine him finishing Silva.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

love Silva here as well..Cormier doesn't have the experience or strength of competition to beat him

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Feeling much better about my play now. And yeah V, Cormier by dec is a solid hedge if it comes out. Depending on the price I may put a little on that in case he shocks us by holding Bigfoot down.

hawaii808
    hawaii808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1253

silva looks good in this one

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Have to go with Bigfoot. Although Cormier's wrestling can be a wild card!

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Daniel is a beast, and is improving well every start, I believe he will take this is in dominant (albeit boring) fashion.

He hasn't fought anybody of worth in the ring, but he gets to go against Cain in practice. He holds his own (much much better than how Arlovski did during his brief stint at AKA)

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    Daniel is a beast, and is improving well every start, I believe he will take this is in dominant (albeit boring) fashion.

He hasn't fought anybody of worth in the ring, but he gets to go against Cain in practice. He holds his own (much much better than how Arlovski did during his brief stint at AKA)

beginning to see this opinion expressed by some reputable mma watchers....gonna watch this line and see how it shakes out.......

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Really excited about this fight. As OP mentioned, Cormier toughest competition was probably against a washed up Monson, but he looked very good in that fight. He is obviously very quick and athletic, but the thing I was most surprised about was his boxing. Again, you don't have to mention Monson's lack of stand up skills (I know it's terrible), but regardless, Cormier knows how to turn the hook over and throw combos. I don't think Cormier is just going to run in the cage and shoot for takedowns for 15 minutes. He's less refined, but he's quicker on the feet. I can see him setting up his takedowns with those hands he puts together pretty well.

Besides the fight itself, is anyone else a little confused with the line? The public HAS to be on Giant Silva here as he just beat Fedor and Cormier is basically some unknown wrestler guy. I really expected Cormier to be closer to +180 - +200.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to play this one, but I think Cormier has a very good chance to win this.

flickavic
    Lets Go Skins !!!
    flickavic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Im on Bigfoot for this one.I was really starting to become a Cormier fan too.I just think Bigfoot is simply too much too soon for Cormier..

darko3131
    Update your status
    darko3131's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

The way Werdum outwrestled and outworked the strong but slow Silva, makes me think Cormier could win a decision pretty easy if he stuck to a gameplan. I'd go Silva though but I often underestimate strong wrestlers. No play because I think the odds are well set

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Prelims on HDNet.... schwwweeeeeeeeeeet...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24920/hdne...-weigh-ins.mma

PRELIMINARY CARD (HDNet)
    Mike Kyle vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima
    Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Yoel Romero
    Jordan Mein vs. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos
    Alexis Davis vs. Amanda Nunes

PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

Quote Originally Posted by Educ8d Degener8 View Post
    Prelims on HDNet.... schwwweeeeeeeeeeet...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24920/hdne...-weigh-ins.mma

PRELIMINARY CARD (HDNet)
    Mike Kyle vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima
    Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Yoel Romero
    Jordan Mein vs. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos
    Alexis Davis vs. Amanda Nunes
    INDEED! this is a pretty solid undercard for a strikeforce event.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

pretty solid? it is the best ever.

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

that undercard is 5x better than any challengers show they've ever had.

eye2us
    eye2us's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Cormier is a live dog here. I can see him lay and pray his way to a victory.

rocky mattioli

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherIND View Post
    INDEED! this is a pretty solid undercard for a strikeforce event.

definitely a primo undercard...hopefully a stream will be out there in the ethernet somewhere...

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post

Ok maybe not so boring.....

Beating Fedor isn't worth that much peeps.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Can't believe how easily Cormier handled him. I had lots on Cormier by decision, he broke my heart.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

He got a lot of things going on. His pretty cleaver, athletic, high rassling pedigree + training with cain. If his defensive bjj is up to date, he beats barnett in my book. if he wins, and cain beats santos, will they ever fight each other?

Poppa Catfish

Barnett is going to have one hell of a time taking him down, and with Cormier's ever improving stand up, I don't see any reason why he would want to take Barnett down.

rocky mattioli

he just has natural stand-up ability.......the soft rolly- poley exterior is total bullshit...he`s strong,quick and accurate....

not exactly the same,but it`s reminiscent of that kid we`ve seen on strikeforce a few times(larkin) without the kicks but with the killer wrestling.....

he totally clowned bigfoot....destruction...

nice call,poppa....dead balls on...

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Wow, I was totally wrong about Cormier last night. He looked damn good!
    Down night for me, but I can't wait to see Cormier/Barnett. Could go either way.
    Am I wrong for still favoring Barnett?

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    Wow, I was totally wrong about Cormier last night. He looked damn good!
    Down night for me, but I can't wait to see Cormier/Barnett. Could go either way.
    Am I wrong for still favoring Barnett?
    I think it's a tricky match-up for Barnett. After seeing the way in which he dispatched of Bigfoot, I feel like I have to give Cormier the stand-up advantage. While Barnett is obviously the far superior submission grappler, his wrestling isn't as good as a lot of people think it is. He definitely won't be able to take Cormier down, and I'd be very surprised if he could stuff Cormier's takedowns with any regularity. I'd say Barnett's best shot at victory is a submission from his back, but even that seems decidedly unlikely. I can't imagine Cormier hanging out in his guard for long periods of time.

Poppa Catfish

It is extremely tricky because for the past 5 years Barnett's quality of opposition (barring his loss to Nog, of course) has been woefully bad. Cormier also hasn't really been challenged yet (Bigfoot is the best yet, and that isn't saying much), and if that wasn't bad enough additionally he continues to improve fight after fight. We don't really know where Barnett is as far as form goes, nor do we really have a great gauge on Daniel's form or where it will be for that matter.

At best all you can do is approximate, I am not thrilled with Barnett's collection of fights and I think it points to him being very overrated, so I would side with Cormier, whom I think has a pretty good stylistic matchup vs Barnett.
    Last edited by Poppa Catfish; 09-11-11 at 11:18 AM.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wouldn't be too impressed with Cormier. He does threaten Barnett, but we'll have to wait for a line. I think that fight had a lot more to do with Silva just being awful.

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    I wouldn't be too impressed with Cormier. He does threaten Barnett, but we'll have to wait for a line. I think that fight had a lot more to do with Silva just being awful.
    Silva seemed more hittable than usual, but the overhand right at the beginning and the uppercut combo at the end were absolutely fantastic. Cormier has developed into a legit offensive boxer.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

All over Cormier if he's the dog, glad I arbed out with Cormier straight up and not by decision...phewww!

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

cormier said he would move to lhw if he went to the ufc, i wanna see that.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    Me too, would be badass.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post

Wait what? Where did he say this? I thought he couldn't cut anymore due to liver issues.

Hannibal
    Hannibal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15695

Wasn't it his kidneys?

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Wasn't it his kidneys?
    Yeah my bad, it was actually kidney failure. Not sure he'd want to take a chance cutting too much.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

dam sounds like cormier will be out for awhile then, 6-8 weeks for that cast and, understandably, he wants a 10-week camp for barnett. Seems like they barnett might be getting a new opponent then.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/09/1...aces-worst-ca/

12 Last