MMAbetMASTA
    MMAbetMASTA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tate / Coenen Discussion... $$$??? (Long Read)

I think this will be closer than I originally thought, but nevertheless, I still like a moderate to large str8 play on tate. Out of all the fights on the card I like this one the most with regard to my confidence in its prediction and the fight odds. As of right now with the current odds on the card, this is my moderate/big play I am thinking. However, I would like to get some feedback and some outside insight before I play anything!

The line finally opened on my bookie site, and tate is at -105 with marlos at -125. The reason I am trying to get early information / discussion going for this fight is because I think this line will move a lot, just like cruz did at ufc 132 (he was at -200 come fight time, opened at even, I got him at -140 about 9 days before the fight). I think tate will be around -140/50 come fight night, if not higher.

This is a classic striker vs wrestler, but marlos is great off her back and has lots of win by sub (almost all sub wins via armbar). Marloes got overpowered by santos on the feet - that beast was just too damn much for the gorgeous ‘rumina’. Outside of cyborg, I think marlos has some of the best striking in women’s mma. However, marlos narrowly got the better of kaufman on the feet ( many people thought kaufman got the better of the striking, but I gave it to marlos for the leg kicks). Marlos subbed kaufman after getting muscled around and kaufman got too aggressive. Marloes got the better of Liz Carmouche on the feet, but Liz did land some leather and could survive on the feet. Her fight with Liz led me to believe this might have been one of the first times Marlos had fought a powerful wrestler with great top control, as she was out wrassled for 2 ½ rounds before getting that miracle sub. Marlos’ other big loss before cyborg was a UD loss against Belgian judoka Cindy Dandois. While I didn’t see the fight nor read the play by play, I’m assuming marlos was overpowered and out grappled by Dandois. This is a big assumption, but I don’t think the judoka won a UD by out striking marlos. I believe marlos’ biggest problem is against people who are just as strong as her, can survive on the feet, and have a powerful grappling game; especially someone with a powerful top control and great sub defense.

I still think kaufman is one of the most physically powerful at 135, and the fact that Meisha Tate kept it competitive with her (losing on the feet but landing some leather of her own. She survived – barely – in round one), and got her down and kept her there for an entire round says a lot. Since losing that competitive fight Tate has been on a tear. She gave zola fausto (now zola gurgel) her only loss (although I thought both fujii and aguilar were robbed against fausto!) and did so with extreme dominance. Tate took her down at will, and during the few exchanges on the feet tate got the better of and in my eyes out struck the undefeated kickboxer in the few exchanges they had. Now, zola is a natural 125er and tate was much bigger and I think that was a huge factor. I believe Marlos is one of the bigger 135ers out there and meisha will not have a strength advantage – I think they will be equal with regard to physical power / muscle. So I don’t think meisha will have a size advantage, nor will marlos (except in height / reach).

Now everyone expects meisha to take marlos down, and so do I. Yet I think meisha has the ability to hang on the feet, demonstrated by her exchanges with kaufman and fausto (also did well on the feet against finnish brawler kujala). She also took some of Kaufman’s best shots and I think kaufman has way more power than marloes does at 135. However, while I think Tate won’t get stopped or KO’d, I think Marlos will be the superior striker and will win this fight if it plays out on the feet the majority of the time. This is why I think and REALLY HOPE that tate should have a clear wrasslin minded gameplan, and she couldn’t have picked a better camp than team alpha male to help prepare such a gameplan – a wrestling power house of a camp. Can Tate get marlos down, and get her down a lot/ for the majority of the fight? I think so, but I am not too confident. ….

What do you all think? This is one of the big ‘iffs’ per se.

The fact tate got kaufman down, a physically powerful woman, leads me to think she can get marlos down. But with what frequency?? Against smaller sized competition of late (akano and zola), tate had no problem getting tds, but against a large woman like kaufman, tate had to really work for it (except for the 2nd round when she completely dominated by getting kaufman down asap and keeping her there).

Now, what leads me to believe that tate can get marlos down frequently is obviously Liz Carmouche. Liz wasn’t going for tdds in the first rnd against marlos, they seemed to feel each other out and only toward the end did liz try to clinch and get in close. In the 2nd all the way till the 4th round when she got caught in that triangle, Liz was taking marlos down frequently and keeping her there. Is Liz a better wrestler than Tate? Perhaps… Liz also has a nice judo background to go with high school wrestling, which might have helped with her td and positional success. With regard to pure wrestling though, tate is more accomplished. I also think tate is a bit bigger than Liz and a bit more athletic. These factors lead me to believe that Meisha can get marlos down with frequency. Do you agree?

However, once it gets to the mat can Tate survive Marloes’ sub onslaught, unlike carmouche??? I believe the answer is yes, and therefore I think the big question in this fight comes down to who is the better grappler???

I will say meisha.

Most people will lean toward marlos as the better grappler because of all her sub wins, but I think people don’t realize how smooth tate is on the ground… Case point – Hitomi Akano. Akano is BY FAR a better grappler than marlos – someone please explain why I might be wrong with that assertation, because this is a huge factor in my prediction. Tate out grappled Akano. It was competitive, but in the end akano was in more danger from sub attempts than tate was (tate put her in two very close fight ending armbars if I remember correctly and took her back on a few occasions threatening with a rnc), and tate also got better positioning throughout their grappling exchanges and defended akano’s sub attempts well.

I think marlos is great off her back, but not too dynamic. Don’t flame me, because I am not disrespecting her ground game. If you are getting over aggressive like kaufman or Liz was, marlos will get you in a sub off her back with those long, sexy legs. Yet I think that if for one, you have good sub defense, and two, you have great positioning/control, then I believe you can control marlos on the ground, keep her there, and do damage without getting caught. I believe Tate can do these things.

I predict tate to test it on the feet, perhaps surprise people with improved stand up, and use that to change levels and get marlos to the ground. Marlos will threaten, but I think tate will be more than prepared. Tate will not be receiving her first sub loss, but rather winning the title in what I think will be a boring 5 rounds, with a few interesting sub attempts from marlos to keep it interesting (I actually just had a gut feeling when writing this that we might see tate sub marlos). IN the end, I’m thinking a UD for TATE. This is the wrestler’s era, whether we like it or not… If Marlos wins, I think it will be early and via a flash KO, but again, tate took kaufman’s best, clean shots and still didn’t go down.

What am I missing? Where am I wrong? Do you all agree or disagree? Give me your personal breakdown!

OVERALL – do you like str8 plays on tate and why/why not???

Any insight and serious replies are much appreciated! Sorry for the lengthy breakdown and thanks for your time, GL!!!
    Last edited by MMAbetMASTA; 07-15-11 at 08:19 PM.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I agree. I see Tate controlling for five rounds.

Nick The Greek
    Nick The Greek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

I'm already on Tate at EVEN money. Seeing what Carmouche did to Coenen was a real eye opener and it provided the blueprint for what Miesha needs to do here.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

great breakedown. I have already made a bet on the basis on what people have wrote about tate. This breakdown make me even more confident. I have noticed that there is a lot of dogs in womens mma. This is actually my first bet on womens mma.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

tate appears very live here(i may be taking here myself)....but isn`t akano much smaller than coenen?....doesn`t look like tate will have a physical advantage...to the contrary,that`s the worrisome aspect in picking tate,imo...and kaufman is a fish out of water on the mat...not so coenen...

and dandois is huge......just a very big strong grappler......she dwarfs tate physically......she takes opponents down and humps them or beats them up.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn30R...eature=related
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 07-18-11 at 06:50 AM.

MMAbetMASTA

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    tate appears very live here(i may be taking here myself)....but isn`t akano much smaller than coenen?....doesn`t look like tate will have a physical advantage...to the contrary,that`s the worrisome aspect in picking tate,imo...and kaufman is a fish out of water on the mat...not so coenen...

and dandois is huge......just a very big strong grappler......she dwarfs tate physically......she takes opponents down and humps them or beats them up.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn30R...eature=related
    Yea marlos will be tate's first opponent probably since kaufman who is just as big if not biggger than her... I def agree and think size will matter, and it will answer a lot of questions we probably have.

Dude for sure, dandois is big... Yet I think Carmouche is a bit smaller than tate and not as athletic, so I still think tate will be powerful enouigh to muscle marlos down, seeing that Liz was successful. Good points and vid, thanks man.

MMAbetMASTA

Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    great breakedown. I have already made a bet on the basis on what people have wrote about tate. This breakdown make me even more confident. I have noticed that there is a lot of dogs in womens mma. This is actually my first bet on womens mma.
    thanks man and glad to hear, GL!!!

This will also be my first bet on women's mma!

I wish I would have been playing back when gina / cyborg was on... Anyone know or remember what the odds were on that fight? I bet cyborg wasn't too expensive, don't think she was the underdog but probably around -140 I bet. I knew cyborg was gonna murder gina's pretty face haha, wish I would have been playing then. Lots of fights now that I think about it that would have been money back in the day!

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Quote Originally Posted by MMAbetMASTA View Post
    thanks man and glad to hear, GL!!! This will also be my first bet on women's mma! I wish I would have been playing back when gina / cyborg was on... Anyone know or remember what the odds were on that fight? I bet cyborg wasn't too expensive, don't think she was the underdog but probably around -140 I bet. I knew cyborg was gonna murder gina's pretty face haha, wish I would have been playing then. Lots of fights now that I think about it that would have been money back in the day!
    I got Cyborg at around -160 for her fight against Carano... and felt like that was a steal. Of course after the beatdown I wished I had put more on her.

MMAbetMASTA

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    I got Cyborg at around -160 for her fight against Carano... and felt like that was a steal. Of course after the beatdown I wished I had put more on her.
    nice dude! I wish I would have been betting back then, that was such a MONEY fight along with so many others!

MMAbetMASTA

Sherdog insight

I'm sure some of you saw this article today - Destiny’s Child - Destiny’s Child

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...ys-Child-34250

yet this really confirmed to what I was saying about Tate in my initial post - Tate is the all around better grappler, both in pure jitz and wrestling imo.

This will be a competitive fight and marloes can certainly win. I've noticed most people picking coenen are picking her by sub, which is certainly a valid predicition condsidering her sub-win ratio. However, if any woman is receiving her first sub loss it will be marloes, not tate. I think tate wins by decision, but I only see marlos winning by some flash KO or ref stoppage.

I still haven't laid coin and tate is dead even right now on my bookie site. I probably won't go as big as I was thinking, perhaps a double line play.

My main concern at this point is what another user a similar sherdog thread thankfully brought up - tate's cardio. I know marlos can go 5, but she does fade after 3 and seems to slow down a lot, although she is still game. I haven't seen tate fight more than 15 minutes (even her two fight - one night tourney only lasted 15 min total). She looked fresh after her grappling - heavy fight with akano and looked like she could go another 10 min, but that is all viewer speculation and might not happen. I am still concerned that she might not be able to scramble as quickly on the ground in the 4th and 5th to defend subs, or let alone have the energy/power to get marlos down to the mat at that point. In her fight with kaufman tate's TD ability was completely diminished in the 3rd round as she looked a bit tired and kaufman's sprawl was overpowering at that point. Kaufman's tdd is about 10x better than marlos', so I am trying not to take this aspect with too much concern.

Any more insight from you guys a few days out??? GL and enjoy, can't wait for this stacked card!!!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Well the Alpha Male guys are known have great cardio so will be a bad indictment on them if she does gas out after a couple rounds! But yes the fourth/fifth rounds for first time are always going to be a concern, but I think she has enough in her to carry it through. Just hope she doesnt have any niggling injuries still

FightFightFight
    FightFightFight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

Fight goes distance at 145?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Got it at +175 opener

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

i definitely think tate has the best value on the whole card.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

No doubt after seeing the Saffiedine, Kennedy & Woodley odds

FightFightFight

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Got it at +175 opener
    Me too. Thought about hitting it again. Took Hendo-fedor inside at -140, and hamill dec 360 as well, oh and schaub dec at 300.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by FightFightFight View Post
    Me too. Thought about hitting it again. Took Hendo-fedor inside at -140, and hamill dec 360 as well, oh and schaub dec at 300.
    Yeah Hamil by dec at 360 has solid value. I'd be shocked and pissed if Schaub only decisions Zombie Nog, how do think Nog survives 3 rounds? Only way I see that happening is if Schaub is overwhelmed by being in Brazil and jus jabs for three rounds!

FightFightFight

Definitely a good chance of a KO, but Im not fully ready to write off Nog because Mir and Cain KOd him. He is the alltime greatest at taking an asskicking. Which may be part of the issue. Schaub went the distance with Gabe, $$$, and into the 3rd with Crocop, both of whom have somewhat suspect chins. Value play.

cheeese
    cheeese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

I really thought we would get favorable lines as guys like Kennedy, Saff, woodley, are homegorwn through strikeforce fighting guys with some success in the UFC. Bummer. In my fantasy world I thought TK could open pick em.

FightFightFight

Quote Originally Posted by cheeese View Post
    I really thought we would get favorable lines as guys like Kennedy, Saff, woodley, are homegorwn through strikeforce fighting guys with some success in the UFC. Bummer. In my fantasy world I thought TK could open pick em.
    Could be too much talk about it on forums before the lines open. TWood got a lot of support.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Definitely a good chance of a KO, but Im not fully ready to write off Nog because Mir and Cain KOd him. He is the alltime greatest at taking an asskicking. Which may be part of the issue. Schaub went the distance with Gabe, $$$, and into the 3rd with Crocop, both of whom have somewhat suspect chins. Value play.
    Well yeah I'd say him being the alltime greatest at taking an asskicking is the main issue as all those asskickings are catching up with him now. Yes Schaub went the distance with Gonzaga but he knocked him down and didnt follow up because he was afraid of his ground game and he may well do the same against Nog. But Nog is so easy to hit that I think it will look like the Mir fight with Nog getting knocked down a couple of times and eventually Schaub finishing him off when it's obvious that Nog wont offer a threat anymore on the ground. In the CroCop fight the majority of time was spent either with Schaub taking Cro-COp down and doing damage in his guard or with Crop-Cop clinching and bullying Schaub (at times) against the cage. Im not sure Nog can close the distance and clinch with Schaub like Cro-Cop did, and obviously Schaub wont be looking for takedowns in this fight, he had to worry about Cro-Cops striking rather than ground game and clearly against Nog its the opposite which plays in to Schaub's main strength.

MMAbetMASTA

Could be too much talk about it on forums before the lines open. TWood got a lot of support.
    I really wonder if the guys who influence the lines, working for bookie sites, go on these forums..? I am sure they do, but I wonder with what frequency and how much they let it influence them...? A lot of people on here were real big on wood and saff, so I wonder if that is why their lines were monstrous. Perhaps we should develop a secret code for certain terms and plays, or even numbers. We should start messaging eachother and develop a code system haha.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

We should all just post the exact opposite of what we believe will happen! Especially you Vaughany since all the bookies are watching you like big brother.

MMAbetMASTA

Quote Originally Posted by v1y View Post
    i definitely think tate has the best value on the whole card.
    Glad to hear this from you.

I also think you were onto something in the other thread when you spoke of meisha keeping it on the feet and outstriking marlos (I think it was you saying that?).

Initially I leaned toward marlos as a clear cut better striker. But after watching more vids of both fighters, and the fact that meisha is at what imo is one of the best training camps in the world (especially from a stylistic match up perspective), I won't be surprised if tate comes out as the better striker and we see this fight pla out on the feet with meisha outstriking marlos. All in all though I think meisha will respect marlos' hands, and only use stand up to change levels or clinch for tds.

FightFightFight

I really wonder if the guys who influence the lines, working for bookie sites, go on these forums..? I am sure they do, but I wonder with what frequency and how much they let it influence them...? A lot of people on here were real big on wood and saff, so I wonder if that is why their lines were monstrous. Perhaps we should develop a secret code for certain terms and plays, or even numbers. We should start messaging eachother and develop a code system haha.
    The bookies arent concerned as much with what the odds should be, but getting bettors on both sides. To do that, they need to know what bettors think. Whats the best way to do that?

Talking about it with a couple of your cronies in private until the lines are out will make you more money, assuming you think you're a sharp!

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

The bookies arent concerned as much with what the odds should be, but getting bettors on both sides. To do that, they need to know what bettors think. Whats the best way to do that?

Talking about it with a couple of your cronies in private until the lines are out will make you more money, assuming you think you're a sharp!

I wish this misconception would die already. While books are sometimes looking for balanced action, frequently they have opinionated lines and are looking for lopsided action. This is easily shown by watching Pinny move lines into arbable positions against other major books. Books like bodog dealing multiple sets of lines.
    Points Awarded:

cheeese gave NunyaBidness 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

MMAbetMASTA

Alrighty, I pulled the trigger finally. Got two unit bets on tate at -105.

How do you all feel now after your latest research / breakdowns?

I am definitely scared, the majority of mma website predictions are picking Marloes. Yet I've gone against them time and time again, so I'm trying to follow my golden rule of going with my gut instinct above all else. However, I'm reallly nervous in this one and it seems like MANY are on marloes via sub and perhaps I am giving tate more respect than she deserves. Ultimately, I'm sticking with my guns and saying that tate is the better all around grappler / scrambler, which I think wins this fight.

Might even stack a little more on tate, but as of right now I'm nervous enough risking 2 bills.

How many of you all are going large on tate and are you still REALLY confident?

Thanks and GL!

sag3000
    sag3000's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not going large, but I jumped on at +110 with 1,45 units and feel confident and think I could have laid more on her. Almost a year layoff is scary, but I think that she must only survive the 1st round sub attempt by Coenen before the advantage of training with Alpha Male will kick in, and her pace will leave Coenen a tad too weak to get a sub later on. Cardio is an important aspect! Standing and overall point scoring wise I think that Tate will do better, especially once she will not be as scared to be in Coenen's guard in the onfollowing rounds.

Go Miesha!

FightFightFight

I think Marloes tds/tdd surprises everybody. Tate will likely get her down at some point however if it goes deep, making it a close fight. Split?

MMAbetMASTA

I think Marloes tds/tdd surprises everybody. Tate will likely get her down at some point however if it goes deep, making it a close fight. Split?
    I'm really, really, REALLY hope you're wrong! Did I mention REALLY hoping? I've been breaking this match down the past two weeks and after seeing the weigh ins today, you might be very right about marloes' tdd. Initially,marloes' tdd it wasn't a big concern of mine, I thought tate might have some trouble with tds but would eventually get them. However, after seeing them size up, marloes looks MUCH bigger. Yet Kaufman was much larger than tate and has VASTLY superior tdd than marloes, and tate still got her down. So I am hoping you're wrong, but if you're right we could be in for a long night and I will be losing some cash - and you could very well be right. Perhaps I've given tate's td and grapplng ability too much credit and not giving marloes enough... Split sounds very possible too... AHHHH SO NERVOUS! I LOVE THE RUSH HAHAHAAAAAAA! GL brother!

MMAbetMASTA

Strikeforce Fedor vs Hendo Final Plays:

Ticket#:54887772
    Jul 30 10:05 PM
    INTERNET / -1Jul 26 07:53 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [2538] T SAFFIEDINE -250
    (S SMITH vrs T SAFFIEDINE)

250 / 100

Ticket#:54937566
    Jul 30 11:20 PM
    INTERNET / -1Jul 29 04:30 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [2525] M TATE -105
    (M TATE vrs M COENEN)

210 / 200

Ticket#:54937617
    Jul 30 11:40 PM
    INTERNET / -1Jul 29 04:32 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [2522] F EMELIANENKO -260
    (D HENDERSON vrs F EMELIANENKO)

260 / 100

Ticket#:54970626
    INTERNET / -1Jul 30 07:25 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [2523] TOTAL o2½+115
    (HENDERSON/EMELIANENKO WILL GO vrs HENDERSON/EMELIANENKO WON`T GO)

52 / 60

Ticket#:54971016
    INTERNET / -1Jul 30 07:59 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [2523] TOTAL o2½+115
    (HENDERSON/EMELIANENKO WILL GO vrs HENDERSON/EMELIANENKO WON`T GO)

52 / 60

Ticket#:54971092
    INTERNET / -1Jul 30 08:03 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [2525] M TATE -110
    (M TATE vrs M COENEN)

55 / 50

Ticket#:54972496
    Jul 30 10:05 PM
    INTERNET / -1Jul 30 09:10 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [2539] TOTAL o2½+135
    (SMITH/SAFFIEDINE WILL GO TOT R vrs SMITH/SAFFIEDNE WON`T GO TOT R)

52 / 70

Ticket#:54972510
    INTERNET / -1Jul 30 09:11 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [2525] M TATE -110
    (M TATE vrs M COENEN)

110 / 100

Ticket#:54972524
    INTERNET / -1Jul 30 09:11 PM
    MU
    STRAIGHT BET
    [2527] TOTAL o4½+145
    (TATE/COENEN WILL GO TOT RDS vrs TATE/COENEN WON`T GO TOT RDS)

50 / 73

EDIT: The 260 on Fedor is not mine, its a play I placed for a friend (username DirtyX on here). GL TO EVERYONE AND I HOPE WE ALL WIN HUGE!!! MUCH LOVE!
    Last edited by MMAbetMASTA; 07-30-11 at 08:34 PM.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

absolutely...not a question....the site where i post regularly is visited by joey oddessa(and his gadflies) and graham houston("fightwriter") and evan young....

that`s why it`s not really a great idea to discuss unlined fights.....the linesmakers aren`t dumb...they `re checking to get a gauge on what the gamblers are saying...

i`ve had that argument with them...they deny that what gamblers are saying influences them....but that`s just bullshit...flies in the face of common sense...

MMAbetMASTA

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    absolutely...not a question....the site where i post regularly is visited by joey oddessa(and his gadflies) and graham houston("fightwriter") and evan young....

that`s why it`s not really a great idea to discuss unlined fights.....the linesmakers aren`t dumb...they `re checking to get a gauge on what the gamblers are saying...

i`ve had that argument with them...they deny that what gamblers are saying influences them....but that`s just bullshit...flies in the face of common sense...
    very interesting... its really simple logic to think they would look at the online discussions, and I'm sure they take them really seriosuly.

Who are those names you mentioned? Are they famous odds makers or something? How interesting haha... What do you mean by odessa's "gadflies"?

Yea they are full of ish if they deny taking online discussions seriously, I'd find that hard to believe.

Good to know, thanks man and GL tonight!

MMAbetMASTA

I'll be getting shitfaced and making another drunken/happy post if we win tonight! WAR TATE! If she loses I'm not doing well GL ladies and gents!

Smush Parker
    Smush Parker's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tate should get the win tonight.

12 Last