ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Check In If You Think Figh Should Have/Could Have Been Stopped.

Who got screwed here? Fight could have easily been stopped. I think it was good refereeing. But I have seen many fights stopped for way less. I thought kongo broke his leg after the second knockdown. Somebody got jerked for a nice payout.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status
    sirchadwick1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

Hard call. Dan stepped in for a slight moment and held out his arms like he intended to stop it... but then he realized Kongo was still alert and throwing fists so he stepped back (typical Miragliotta move lol). In the heat of the moment it's really tough to make quick decisions like these refs do. Looking back on it I think it was fair to let Kongo continue seeing as how he was still fighting back. But I can see how those who were on Barry could argue the point. We lucked out. I really wish more refs let it continue longer like Dan did for entertainment purposes... but then again it's more about the safety of the guys fighting in the end so not my place to call it.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i don`t get it....i don`t see an issue...

if kongo had gotten injured because mirgliotta let the fight go too long,then yeah,people have a beef...but mirgliotta couldn`t have been any closer to the action...he was right on top of the fighters(exactly where he was supposed to be)....nobody had a better vantage point than he did...

but kongo got up and dusted barry....so mirgliotta did the right thing....the travesty would have been if it were stopped....then we`d have been robbed of the proper ending...

i had an issue with the female ref that worked cyborg/jan finney...she allowed cyborg to just destroy finney for a period of around 5 minutes...crushed her orbital bone.....i mean,that fight was over...the girl looked like she was in a car accident.....

this was a guy getting clipped and stunned in some flurries but doing enough to regain his composure and win the fight....

finney had no chance by the midway point in the first....

i had kongo,but i`m honestly trying to be objective....i really hate when guys are allowed to take prolonged beatings ...just like boxing,the major injuries almost always happen due to an accumulation of punishment...not a relatively sudden stoppage....

just one dude`s opinion....

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post
    i don`t get it....i don`t see an issue...

if kongo had gotten injured because mirgliotta let the fight go too long,then yeah,people have a beef...but mirgliotta couldn`t have been any closer to the action...he was right on top of the fighters(exactly where he was supposed to be)....nobody had a better vantage point than he did...

but kongo got up and dusted barry....so mirgliotta did the right thing....the travesty would have been if it were stopped....then we`d have been robbed of the proper ending...

i had an issue with the female ref that worked cyborg/jan finney...she allowed cyborg to just destroy finney for a period of around 5 minutes...crushed her orbital bone.....i mean,that fight was over...the girl looked like she was in a car accident.....

this was a guy getting clipped and stunned in some flurries but doing enough to regain his composure and win the fight....

finney had no chance by the midway point in the first....

i had kongo,but i`m honestly trying to be objective....i really hate when guys are allowed to take prolonged beatings ...just like boxing,the major injuries almost always happen due to an accumulation of punishment...not a relatively sudden stoppage....

just one dude`s opinion....
    I agree it was a good decision not to stop the fight. But if the fight was stopped after that second knockdown, nobody would have complained. I seen dudes blow out an ACL falling down like that. I don't know how the fukk he recovered.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

I am ok with it either way, this seemed like a case that was right there on the fence, ref has to make a split decision in the thick of it. I think he did an ok job, and as Rocky stated he was in the right position, unlike that one clown who was out of position trying to pick up a mouth piece cough cough.

I had Kongo so I was happy with the results, but I wouldn't have been pissed if what he saw led him to stop the fight.

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

the part I had a problem with was how much he got in the way of pat barry when he was trying to finish kongo. It was like he stepped in and sort of got in the way so barry couldn't hit him again... either way it was one of the craziest endings i've ever seen

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Finney is a tough chick ! I started fighting in her Ex boyfriends organization Ohio Xtreme Fighting. we sparred together one time and she almost killed me for taking it easy on her at first, i found myself having to step it up to keep from getting beat up lol.

as for the stop... Pat is my favorite fighter. He said he thought the fight was over, but then he saw Kongo moving and realized it was a good no stop. He didnt realize he was ko'd. You never do tho. But he thought he won that fight and thought he was standing lol. His mind was blown when he had to sit up. He said it was a lil weird that the ref touched him like he was about to stop it, then let it go. He really took to heart all the people saying he didnt have a killer instinct and it cost him. He said he almost went for a guillotine but figured that he had him out so he was just going to throw a few more strikes. You live you learn i guess.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Very hard call, obviously the right call was made. He may have been out for a .5 of a second each time, but as soon as Dan steped in to what looked to be to stop the fight, Congo's eyes were there. Crazy finish for sure!

Wrecked
    Dreamin the live
    Wrecked's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

I got screwed in a couple parlays. By screwed I mean a tiny (75$) wager worth.

I think it was a good call on Dan's part, BUT when he jumps in and gets in the middle of the action, he should stop it, he should never get that close to the fighters and change his mind.

Nick The Greek
    Nick The Greek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

Could have easily been stopped, but with the way the fight turned out you can't really deny the decision to let it go.

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

All I know after this fight is that I'm never confidently putting my $ on Kongo again. As a matter of fact I'll likely be fading him next.
    What a wonderful gameplan he had!

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

if that fight didn't get you out of your seat then you don't have a pulse.

koscheckbaby
    Briscoe and Logan Baby!!!
    koscheckbaby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 550

Quote Originally Posted by sirchadwick1 View Post
    All I know after this fight is that I'm never confidently putting my $ on Kongo again. As a matter of fact I'll likely be fading him next.
    What a wonderful gameplan he had!
    It kind of raises his stock in my eyes. To have that type of recovery and KO power, he's an overall threat. You can't rule him out when he's hurt.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Quote Originally Posted by koscheckbaby View Post
    It kind of raises his stock in my eyes. To have that type of recovery and KO power, he's an overall threat. You can't rule him out when he's hurt.
    I guess I'm just the negative type, I see this as yet another chapter in the Barry shitting the bed while he is up story. He threw away the Crocop fight, he threw away the Hague fight, he was trying real hard to give up his win to Beltran after thoroughly destroying Beltran's legs in the first two rounds, and he once again proved to be the opposite of clutch last night. That is roughly half of the matches he has been in so far, and pretty much all of the more difficult ones to boot.

Still you are right, there really isn't much quit in Kongo, that is pretty commendable. I shouldn't lose sight of that

sirchadwick1
    Update your status

Sorry but poor fight IQ weighs more in my mind than good recovery time. Kongo only attempted to take Barry down once and it was a piss poor attempt. From there on out, it was stand and bang and he looked outclassed. Stock stays about the same...

SportsPedagogy

Lets give him credit in the cro cop fight, he broke his hand and foot. Hes learning TDD and wrestling with Lesnars camp. He will only get better. I think he only got KO'd cause we went all out on offense trying to finish Kongo. He just didnt expect that shot. Great win by Kongo tho ... id love to see a rematch

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

I think its kinda hard to gauge kongos gameplan and fight iq when the fight only lasted half a round. Effective takedowns need to be setup.

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I will fade kongo against legit fighters. Ill take the other guy by decision though cuz congo is tough.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Could have been stopped but the right call was made. Kongo was still alert and moving, Barry had his chance to finish him but didn't land clean shots when he was down.

koscheckbaby

Quote Originally Posted by urge2kill View Post
    I think its kinda hard to gauge kongos gameplan and fight iq when the fight only lasted half a round. Effective takedowns need to be setup.
    Agree with this. I thought Barry was more elusive than I expected too. Kongo tried getting a hold of him to clinch early and Barry slipped away. Kongo had a huge reach advantage, so he was staying outside and utilizing it. Who knows how the fight would have played out? I'm sure Kongo wanted the takedown. I thought Barry looked much improved.

koscheckbaby

Quote Originally Posted by SportsPedagogy View Post
    Finney is a tough chick ! I started fighting in her Ex boyfriends organization Ohio Xtreme Fighting. we sparred together one time and she almost killed me for taking it easy on her at first, i found myself having to step it up to keep from getting beat up lol.

as for the stop... Pat is my favorite fighter. He said he thought the fight was over, but then he saw Kongo moving and realized it was a good no stop. He didnt realize he was ko'd. You never do tho. But he thought he won that fight and thought he was standing lol. His mind was blown when he had to sit up. He said it was a lil weird that the ref touched him like he was about to stop it, then let it go. He really took to heart all the people saying he didnt have a killer instinct and it cost him. He said he almost went for a guillotine but figured that he had him out so he was just going to throw a few more strikes. You live you learn i guess.
    Be honest. Did you try and stick a finger in one of her orifices? She wasn't bad looking from what I remember

scofflaw
    scofflaw's Avatar Become A Pro!

I bet big on Kongo and it looked to me like he went out twice, if only for a flash. I guess the ref must have been able to see some subtle sign that I couldn't from the tv. To Kongo's credit, Barry never stopped attacking and he recovered. Tricky call. I'd probably be bitter if I bet on Barry because I've seen fights stopped for less. From what I've seen, Refs allow more damage to go undefended in a main event. There's a probably a lot of pressure not to f up and call an early stoppage.

SportsPedagogy

Quote Originally Posted by koscheckbaby View Post

Be honest. Did you try and stick a finger in one of her orifices? She wasn't bad looking from what I remember

Honesty moment ... Her love for fighting was alot more then mine ... it was a lil scary.

In my second ever fight, i fought a guy who wrestled for Ohio State, i did good striking , then it went to the ground and i ate punches and elbows till Referee Dustin Hazelett stopped it with like 5 seconds left. (I got up and asked if he tapped). Anyways, she told me i looked hot after that. Thats my greatest achivement in life.

The guy in the pic wasnt my opponent, thats Thor, one of Jorge Gurgels top students. He fought on this card and caught a guys arm as the guy was throwing a sucker punch when Thor tried to tap gloves, he turned it into a flying Armbar ... one of the best things i ever saw ... even tho i only saw it with one eye. Thor quit MMA to manage his own music label .

99Boxster
    99Boxster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4394

I thought it should have been stopped after the second knockdown when kongos leg went back and head hit the mat

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Could it have been stopped? Sure. Should it have been stopped? Of course not. Kongo was still conscious enough to land a knockout punch.

Uncharacteristically brilliant reffing from Miragliotta. He usually either interjects far too late (Mir/Carwin) or far too early (Vera/Werdum), but he got it absolutely spot on last night. Herb Dean would have definitely stopped that fight after Kongo went down for the second time. Steve Mazagatti would have probably stopped that too.

SportsPedagogy

Makes you think maybe Diaz/Daley was stopped a lol premature aswell

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

Makes you think maybe Diaz/Daley was stopped a lol premature aswell
    i agree! but at this moment i love dan miragliotta. saved me from losing a big chunk of change.

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

Honesty moment ... Her love for fighting was alot more then mine ... it was a lil scary.

In my second ever fight, i fought a guy who wrestled for Ohio State, i did good striking , then it went to the ground and i ate punches and elbows till Referee Dustin Hazelett stopped it with like 5 seconds left. (I got up and asked if he tapped). Anyways, she told me i looked hot after that. Thats my greatest achivement in life.

The guy in the pic wasnt my opponent, thats Thor, one of Jorge Gurgels top students. He fought on this card and caught a guys arm as the guy was throwing a sucker punch when Thor tried to tap gloves, he turned it into a flying Armbar ... one of the best things i ever saw ... even tho i only saw it with one eye. Thor quit MMA to manage his own music label .

i have enormous respect for finney...yes,there are better female fighters out there....but she has bigger balls(figuratively) than dick tracy.......she could have tapped...should have tapped...but waited for ref kim winslow to make the call(
    little did she know that winslow makes aileen wornos seem like oprah).....

and finney`s attractive in a sort of hard, athletic way...i`m a fan...
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 06-27-11 at 05:33 PM.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think that because Dan stepped in, got in the way and actually touched Barry with both his hands it should have been stopped. The ref made a decision to go in and stop the fight. Obviously this was the wrong decision, but when you go in and get involved like that you got to make a decision. What he did could have and probably did slightly change the exact outcome of the fight. I think almost any professional fighter would be affected by a ref touching them and getting in the way. It's tough to make decisions as a ref for sure, but once you make one stick with it. If you are unsure let the fighter take an extra punch or two it's not really that big a deal. I am glad it wasn't stopped though seeing as so many here were on Kongo.

SportsPedagogy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    I think that because Dan stepped in, got in the way and actually touched Barry with both his hands it should have been stopped. The ref made a decision to go in and stop the fight. Obviously this was the wrong decision, but when you go in and get involved like that you got to make a decision. What he did could have and probably did slightly change the exact outcome of the fight. I think almost any professional fighter would be affected by a ref touching them and getting in the way. It's tough to make decisions as a ref for sure, but once you make one stick with it. If you are unsure let the fighter take an extra punch or two it's not really that big a deal. I am glad it wasn't stopped though seeing as so many here were on Kongo.
    Remember Brown vs Sell ... Holy F--- ! The Ref jumped between them then told Brown to keep fighting. Brown begged for him to stop the fight as he pounded away on a whacked out Sell

Kaladarus

There's been a couple fights where refs have stepped in like that. They got to either stop the fight or let it go on until they are comfortable stopping it. Getting in the middle or touching a fighter is not the right way to go.

Kaladarus

Even Mazzagati who Dana White considers the worst ref is able to make decisions. A fight that comes to mind is the Rothwell vs Velasquez fight. Rothwell was getting up as Mazzagati stepped in, but he still stopped the fight because he got involved. This should be the number one rule as a ref. The stoppage to most was a poor stoppage, but it would have been unfair to Velasquez for the fight to go on after Mazzagati went in.

koscheckbaby

Awesome story.

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Remember Brown vs Sell ... Holy F--- ! The Ref jumped between them then told Brown to keep fighting. Brown begged for him to stop the fight as he pounded away on a whacked out Sell
    Lol, that was actually comical to watch. Brown started walking away.

I agree that a referee should be committed to any decision he makes, but fortunately it didn't affect Barry at all in this instance. Pat still did everything he could to finish the fight, so Miragliotta's indecisiveness didn't really make any difference this time.

Even Mazzagati who Dana White considers the worst ref is able to make decisions. A fight that comes to mind is the Rothwell vs Velasquez fight. Rothwell was getting up as Mazzagati stepped in, but he still stopped the fight because he got involved. This should be the number one rule as a ref. The stoppage to most was a poor stoppage, but it would have been unfair to Velasquez for the fight to go on after Mazzagati went in.
    Velasquez looked disappointed after that fight was stopped. I think he would have been okay with smacking Rothwell around a little more.

koscheckbaby

I truly believe Rothwell should be grateful for that stoppage. He had NOTHING for Cain and likely might not have felt it, but his brain certainly did. Had that lasted 3 rounds, Rothwell's career may never have been the same.

12 Last