kball15
    kball15's Avatar Become A Pro!

MOSLEY over PACQUIAO?!

Now, I consider myself pretty god damn knowledgeable when it comes to boxing, and I get most of the picks that i post on here correct.

I've been doing research on Pacquiao-Mosley and I simply do not see a 5-1 underdog in Shane Mosley in this fight.

Do I think Pacquiao will win? Yes, I am picking Manny Pacquiao to win the fight, probably on points.

But I don't think Mosley is anywhere NEAR as over the hill as he is being made out to be.

Sure, he looked awful against Mayweather... so does just about everyone. He struggled mostly because he has slowed a bit, and Mayweather is already incredibly hard to hit. Also his age showed in his conditioning.

But if the first 2 rounds were any kind of sign, it's that Mosley can still crack, and he can still find a way to land the big punches against anybody, something he has always been able to do.

He looked awful against Mora, but again, Mora is that kind of a fighter. When he boxes, he makes guys look bad. Sometimes real bad.

Mosley is from the Hopkins school of gym rats. He's been fighting at this level his whole career, and only since his loss to Mayweather have people been calling him over the hill.

Lets not forget, he was VERY competitive against a prime Cotto, even if that was 3 years ago. And let's also not forget that Pacquiao has never fought anybody as good as Mosley at this weight class.

Mosley is the biggest, Strongest, and Fastest fighter Pacquiao has ever fought. The only other legit big guy he fought, Margarito, hurt him badly to the body and Pac himself said Margaritos punches hurt very badly.

On top of all this, Mosley has the single greatest strategists in boxing in Richardson. I think he's even better then Freddie Roach as a strategist.

Of course, Pacquiao is younger, faster, better, and arguably at the peak of his game. Which is why I'm picking Pacquiao.

But at +550, I think I'm going to place a small bet on Mosley. I think Mosley should be something in the +250 - +300 range.

I also like the Over at +130. Mosley has NEVER been stopped, and has easily one the greatest chins in boxing history. Not since the Forrest fight has Mosley been truly hurt. Not to mention he is one of the toughest and most competitive guys in the game, and I can't imagine him letting Richardson stop the fight, which is the only way I see this one going Under 9.5 rounds (and its not that unlikely, i understand)

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

liking mosley plus money too

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

already grabbed a piece of "Mosley wins in round 1-6" at +2285.

Pacquiao wins by 12 rnd decision at +183 isn't horrible value either, imo.

Probably gonna add on to that as well before the line gets bet down even further.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33450

Quote Originally Posted by kball15 View Post

Mosley is from the Hopkins school of gym rats. He's been fighting at this level his whole career, and only since his loss to Mayweather have people been calling him over the hill.
    People were calling Mosley washed up before the Margarito fight, and I don't think it's unreasonable to state that the reasons Mosley looked good in that bout had a lot more to do with Margarito and his handwraps than Mosley not being shot. Mosley looked awful against Sergio Mora, who in turn looked awful against Brian Vera of all people. He's slurring his speech pretty badly and imo shouldn't even be allowed into the ring anymore. This isn't a fight, this is a slaughter. I'm laying the chalk on this one, but not watching. I don't need to see a brain damaged fighter (who I like btw) get pounded into Muhammad Ali-ville.

kball15

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    People were calling Mosley washed up before the Margarito fight, and I don't think it's unreasonable to state that the reasons Mosley looked good in that bout had a lot more to do with Margarito and his handwraps than Mosley not being shot. Mosley looked awful against Sergio Mora, who in turn looked awful against Brian Vera of all people. He's slurring his speech pretty badly and imo shouldn't even be allowed into the ring anymore. This isn't a fight, this is a slaughter. I'm laying the chalk on this one, but not watching. I don't need to see a brain damaged fighter (who I like btw) get pounded into Muhammad Ali-ville.
    i couldnt disagree more with the mosley slurring his speech and being brain damaged.

i think thats ridiculous. He barely slurrs if at all. Its hardly noticably. He has always talked like that.

He should absolutely be allowed to fight. He's not even close to being at the point where they should consider taking away his liscense.

He is still in good spirits and health. I think you took it way to far there man.

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

you crazyyyyyyy.... you know it manny pacquiao right.... you crazy

St8Ca$homie
    St8Ca$homie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone who think Shane has a shot in this fight just hasnt been paying attention. LOL He looked terrible against this guy , he looked terrible against that guy etc. Sure he has a punches chance like any other fighter but hes not winning this fight. And you gave 0 evidence backing up your point. Pac is faster , quicker , better cardio , throws way more kombos , is more versatile in terms of his O , i could go on but i wont. Shane will be looking for that right hand the whole night and everyone knows it. Shane hit PBF w/ everything he had , he landed 2-3 clean/flush punches and PBF took them and made Shane look like an old club fighter. Pac has 2-3 fights left in him , theres no way hes giving one away to Shane. I mean do you really think Shane is the toughest guy Pac could take on. Hes the champ he can fight anyone/anywhere/anytime lol except for PBD i guess. Anyway Pac hand-picked Shane from miles away. 50 years from now only real fans will know that Shane was over the hill and had no shot. Most will see an impressive list of W's , including this one. Shane wins 2-3 rounds , 4 if Pac gives 1-2 away. Seriously someone would have to pay me to watch this fight. So many other great young fighters out there and he takes on Shane. Who btw has a TERRIBLE SLUR!!! You must be on drugs if you think people dont notice that. Seriously , i mean WTF!!?? You really think people dont notice that , yea ok i believe you bud

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33450

i couldnt disagree more with the mosley slurring his speech and being brain damaged.

i think thats ridiculous. He barely slurrs if at all. Its hardly noticably. He has always talked like that.

He should absolutely be allowed to fight. He's not even close to being at the point where they should consider taking away his liscense.

He is still in good spirits and health. I think you took it way to far there man.
    Mosley has unequivocally not always spoken like that. And even if you think his speech is only slightly slurred, that still indicates brain injury (specifically CTE), which will effect other functions. The most relevant of those functions to this fight is reaction time, which in Shane is clearly not close to what it once was, and slow reaction time is pretty much the hallmark of a "shot" fighter.

I'm not looking to turn this into a flame war. If you think I'm wrong that's fine. I'm pretty confident about my read here though... finding shot fighters and fading them is imo the easiest money in sports betting outside of stuff like scalps and middles, and unfortunately I think Paq/Mosley fits the bill.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

I will take the action of anyone dumb enough to bet on Mosley.

St8Ca$homie

Now, I consider myself pretty god damn knowledgeable when it comes to boxing, and I get most of the picks that i post on here correct. I've been doing research on Pacquiao-Mosley and I simply do not see a 5-1 underdog in Shane Mosley in this fight. Do I think Pacquiao will win? Yes, I am picking Manny Pacquiao to win the fight, probably on points. But I don't think Mosley is anywhere NEAR as over the hill as he is being made out to be. Sure, he looked awful against Mayweather... so does just about everyone. He struggled mostly because he has slowed a bit, and Mayweather is already incredibly hard to hit. Also his age showed in his conditioning. But if the first 2 rounds were any kind of sign, it's that Mosley can still crack, and he can still find a way to land the big punches against anybody, something he has always been able to do. He looked awful against Mora, but again, Mora is that kind of a fighter. When he boxes, he makes guys look bad. Sometimes real bad. Mosley is from the Hopkins school of gym rats. He's been fighting at this level his whole career, and only since his loss to Mayweather have people been calling him over the hill. Lets not forget, he was VERY competitive against a prime Cotto, even if that was 3 years ago. And let's also not forget that Pacquiao has never fought anybody as good as Mosley at this weight class. Mosley is the biggest, Strongest, and Fastest fighter Pacquiao has ever fought. The only other legit big guy he fought, Margarito, hurt him badly to the body and Pac himself said Margaritos punches hurt very badly. On top of all this, Mosley has the single greatest strategists in boxing in Richardson. I think he's even better then Freddie Roach as a strategist. Of course, Pacquiao is younger, faster, better, and arguably at the peak of his game. Which is why I'm picking Pacquiao. But at +550, I think I'm going to place a small bet on Mosley. I think Mosley should be something in the +250 - +300 range. I also like the Over at +130. Mosley has NEVER been stopped, and has easily one the greatest chins in boxing history. Not since the Forrest fight has Mosley been truly hurt. Not to mention he is one of the toughest and most competitive guys in the game, and I can't imagine him letting Richardson stop the fight, which is the only way I see this one going Under 9.5 rounds (and its not that unlikely, i understand)
    Sorry but i have to question your "knowledge" . First , you already lost your arguement as soon as you started typing. Your talking about the Mosley of "OLD"! And if you havent noticed Shaned slipping that past few years then you really havent watched any of his fights. Listen Roy Jones jr. will still have some of the fastest hands in boxing when his 50! Yes Shanes hands are still pretty fast but nowhere near where they used to be. And his hand speed isnt the issue anyway. Roy Jones is Roy Jones b/c he cant move his legs anymore. Shane isnt "Sugar" anymore b/c he doesnt have that quickness/speed in his legs and head movement for that matter. Shane is going to be gassed by the 7-8th rd.
    Second Pac has fought guys as big , Oscar walks around heavier than Shane and always has. I will put that Margarito was as heavy if not more than Shane will be in the ring. And when it comes to overall skill , speed , power Pac has fought guys just as tough , fast etc in guys like Oscar , Cotto , MAB , Morales , JMM , Margarito etc... Pac is still on top of his game , his last fight proved any doubters wrong. Theres no reason in the world to think he'll take Mosley lightly. This guy wants to ride into the sunset an become prez one day.
    I would give the Trainers a push
    And last but not least , Pac would have beat Sugar in his prime. Pac will go done the better fighter. And this is coming from a Mayweather fan. Dont have anything against Pac , you have to give the man his due , hes been killin it the past 10 years.

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

If this fight was 5 years ago, I would have gone big on Mosely

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

If you are going to bet mosley, even though i think its a terrible bet, you might as well get get mosley ko/tko, he's obviously not winning on points.

snake11eyes
    snake11eyes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 577

A guy at my work gave me 15-1 on mosley. I had to put 100 on that, but the real line I believe is correct. I would not bet the fight because I don't think there is value on either guy, but I did put +192 (when I played it) Pacman by decision in a few parlays. That's pretty decent.

Boxingchamp2010
    Boxingchamp2010's Avatar Become A Pro!

i have over under 11.5 rounds on my guy over +130 under -160

i think the only way shane can win is by knock out so wont he come out trying to win fast cause he wont get the judges to give him the fight at the end. so if he comes out trying to win in the first few rounds he will get tired and manny will knock him out late. the last fight he had vs. mayweather the corner was about to throw in the towel they said if he cant get his hands up they were going to. i dont like to lay -160 but i just see a knock out by either one of these guys

kball15

Quote Originally Posted by St8Ca$homie View Post
    Sorry but i have to question your "knowledge" . First , you already lost your arguement as soon as you started typing. Your talking about the Mosley of "OLD"! And if you havent noticed Shaned slipping that past few years then you really havent watched any of his fights. Listen Roy Jones jr. will still have some of the fastest hands in boxing when his 50! Yes Shanes hands are still pretty fast but nowhere near where they used to be. And his hand speed isnt the issue anyway. Roy Jones is Roy Jones b/c he cant move his legs anymore. Shane isnt "Sugar" anymore b/c he doesnt have that quickness/speed in his legs and head movement for that matter. Shane is going to be gassed by the 7-8th rd.
    Second Pac has fought guys as big , Oscar walks around heavier than Shane and always has. I will put that Margarito was as heavy if not more than Shane will be in the ring. And when it comes to overall skill , speed , power Pac has fought guys just as tough , fast etc in guys like Oscar , Cotto , MAB , Morales , JMM , Margarito etc... Pac is still on top of his game , his last fight proved any doubters wrong. Theres no reason in the world to think he'll take Mosley lightly. This guy wants to ride into the sunset an become prez one day.
    I would give the Trainers a push
    And last but not least , Pac would have beat Sugar in his prime. Pac will go done the better fighter. And this is coming from a Mayweather fan. Dont have anything against Pac , you have to give the man his due , hes been killin it the past 10 years.
    first of all, saying Pacquiao would have beaten a prime Mosley like its a fact is a joke.

Pacquiao may go down higher on an ATG list, but not chance he goes down higher on the list of great lightweights, where I'm assuming that fight would have taken place.

Mosley would have been just about as fast as Pacquiao and would have punched a heck of a lot harder.

Thats a great fight and a fight you absolutely cannot say Pacquiao would win for sure. thats laughable.

Now, on to the other stuff. to question my knowledge of the sport because of my opinion on a matter that is very largely up for debate and is currently being debated is, again, a joke.

When I said Mosley was the biggest fighter Pacquiao has fought, I meant with a pulse. I mentioned Margarito right after that if you'd have read on, and I mentioned how he hurt Pac badly to the body. DLH didnt land a shot all night.

And OF COURSE Mosley has lost a step. OF COURSE I'm not talking about Mosley in his prime. If i was, I might have picked him over Pacquiao. Instead, I am picking PACQUIAO TO WIN THE FIGHT. Idk if you read that part.

my whole argument is that Mosley has much more in the tank then people like yourself are giving him credit for. Is he slower? yea obviously. That doesnt mean he cant still land the big shots, like he did against Mayweather in the 2nd round.

Mosley at +550, all things considered, is a great price. Am I going to go big on that bet? obviously not. He will most likely lose the fight, which is why i said i'd pin him at +300 if i were making the odds. I'm going to probably also include a bet on the Over after I see the weigh in.

St8Ca$homie

Lets not get into the " I know more than you game " , sorry if I came off like that. That said Id take Pac at any weight against Shane. And btw please enlighten to who exactly Sugar has beat to give you such confidence? He's lost every big fight hes every had , just like Oscar! These are two all stars that never been to an all star game! Your telling me a guy that just fought to a draw against Mora still has some left in the tank aaginst Pac? Really? But Seriously please tell me who's the best fighter hes ever beat? The list is pretty long for Pac , some of the guys he beat are ten X's the fighters Shane has beat! Great he beat Vargas , Oscar and Collazo LMAO , thats the list?!?!? And your trying to tell me a fight between Pac/Mosley would be even? MAB alone has more heart than any of the above mentioned. St8 up win/lose not many people wpuld go w/ Sugar. Alright that said Iv always loved watching Shane fight , but when you talk about 90's/2000's he'll brought up ... for about 5 min's. In their prime PBF would have absolutely ROLLED Mosley , so would would JMM! Hand speed isnt up for debate buddy , if you really think Shane has faster/quicker hands your losing credability by the min. Pac has quick hands fact. Mosley has more power ill give you that and that alone. And with all due respect there are a few flaws that serious fans can pick up on about Pac and you havent named one!?? Weakness' that would get Pac's ass handed to him by PBF. Glaring flaws. Your telling me that a guy who has looked like shit for the past 3-4 years has some left in the tank ... for what making it to the ring? Your telling me a guy who has beat nobody will beat a guy who has beat almost everyone in front of him! A guy who is almost as quick/fast moving around the ring as anyone. And now that im thinking about who has more power , sure Shane does fact. But Pac does have plenty of power himself. Ask Oscar who has more power Shane or Pac?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lets not get into the " I know more than you game " , sorry if I came off like that. That said Id take Pac at any weight against Shane. And btw please enlighten to who exactly Sugar has beat to give you such confidence? He's lost every big fight hes every had , just like Oscar! These are two all stars that never been to an all star game! Your telling me a guy that just fought to a draw against Mora still has some left in the tank aaginst Pac? Really? But Seriously please tell me who's the best fighter hes ever beat? The list is pretty long for Pac , some of the guys he beat are ten X's the fighters Shane has beat! Great he beat Vargas , Oscar and Collazo LMAO , thats the list?!?!? And your trying to tell me a fight between Pac/Mosley would be even? MAB alone has more heart than any of the above mentioned. St8 up win/lose not many people wpuld go w/ Sugar. Alright that said Iv always loved watching Shane fight , but when you talk about 90's/2000's he'll brought up ... for about 5 min's. In their prime PBF would have absolutely ROLLED Mosley , so would would JMM! Hand speed isnt up for debate buddy , if you really think Shane has faster/quicker hands your losing credability by the min. Pac has quick hands fact. Mosley has more power ill give you that and that alone. And with all due respect there are a few flaws that serious fans can pick up on about Pac and you havent named one!?? Weakness' that would get Pac's ass handed to him by PBF. Glaring flaws. Your telling me that a guy who has looked like shit for the past 3-4 years has some left in the tank ... for what making it to the ring? Your telling me a guy who has beat nobody will beat a guy who has beat almost everyone in front of him! A guy who is almost as quick/fast moving around the ring as anyone. And now that im thinking about who has more power , sure Shane does fact. But Pac does have plenty of power himself. Ask Oscar who has more power Shane or Pac?
    tl;dr

kball15

Lets not get into the " I know more than you game " , sorry if I came off like that. That said Id take Pac at any weight against Shane. And btw please enlighten to who exactly Sugar has beat to give you such confidence? He's lost every big fight hes every had , just like Oscar! These are two all stars that never been to an all star game! Your telling me a guy that just fought to a draw against Mora still has some left in the tank aaginst Pac? Really? But Seriously please tell me who's the best fighter hes ever beat? The list is pretty long for Pac , some of the guys he beat are ten X's the fighters Shane has beat! Great he beat Vargas , Oscar and Collazo LMAO , thats the list?!?!? And your trying to tell me a fight between Pac/Mosley would be even? MAB alone has more heart than any of the above mentioned.

St8 up win/lose not many people wpuld go w/ Sugar. Alright that said Iv always loved watching Shane fight , but when you talk about 90's/2000's he'll brought up ... for about 5 min's. In their prime PBF would have absolutely ROLLED Mosley , so would would JMM! Hand speed isnt up for debate buddy , if you really think Shane has faster/quicker hands your losing credability by the min. Pac has quick hands fact. Mosley has more power ill give you that and that alone. And with all due respect there are a few flaws that serious fans can pick up on about Pac and you havent named one!?? Weakness' that would get Pac's ass handed to him by PBF. Glaring flaws. Your telling me that a guy who has looked like shit for the past 3-4 years has some left in the tank ... for what making it to the ring? Your telling me a guy who has beat nobody will beat a guy who has beat almost everyone in front of him! A guy who is almost as quick/fast moving around the ring as anyone. And now that im thinking about who has more power , sure Shane does fact. But Pac does have plenty of power himself. Ask Oscar who has more power Shane or Pac?
    Shane Mosley never lost a fight at lightweight, and in fact, didnt lose a fight until he jumped up TWO WEIGHT DIVISIONS to fight and BEAT oscar de la hoya.

But I am DEFINETLY not confident that Mosley would win, Im just saying the way you put it earlier seemed to imply that Pacquiao beating Mosley was a forgone conclusion. I think it would be a very close and competitive fight at 135 pounds

And yes, Pacquiao has a much better resume. He's one of the greatest of all time. But Mosley has had a TREMENDOUS career as well, and you can't take anything away from him. 2 wins against DLH, 2 wins against Vargas, a dominant career at leightweight, and a close fight with Cotto. Thats HOF shoe in material.

Idk what your talking about when you said PBF would have "absolutely rolled" Mosley in his prime. not so sure about that... and JMM? JMM is undersized. JMM is one of my favorite fighters of all time, but you can't say he has beaten anybody close to as good as Mosley was ever since JMM went up to 135 and above. He was laughably small against Mayweather. Mosley, IMO, would win that fight easy just because of the size difference.

And i have no idea where i said Shane has faster hands then Pacquiao. At Mosley's peak, at lightweight, he was one of the fastest lightweights of all time. His handspeed at the weight was easily comparable to Pacquiao's, who has been losing speed with every division he goes up. However, now there is no denying who has the faster hands.

And for the last time, and i hope i dont have to say this again, I AM NOT PICKING MOSLEY TO WIN THE FIGHT. I think Pacquiao will win. At +550, im saying Mosley is a good price. I didn't go into any depth about either fighters real flaws, but if you want a 10 page post I'd be happy to oblige. Pacquiaos susceptibility to counter punches wont play a big role in the fight because, as both of us have mentioned, Mosley has indeed lost a step and was never a counter puncher to begin.

Pacquiaos strengths mask his weaknesses, and on the surface there isnt much Mosley can do to neutralize them. However, I have supreme faith in Nassim Richardson, who i believe is a master strategist, to come up with a gameplan that exploits Pacquiaos weaknesses in favor of Mosleys several remaining strenghts. Do I know exactly what they are? No, I am not a trainer, and i am certainly not nassim richardson. But for +550, I'll put faith in Richardsons hands cause I think he'll give Mosley a great shot at the KO. He almost did against Mayweather, and Mayweather is an even bigger enigma
    Last edited by kball15; 04-29-11 at 09:07 PM.

eachdolphin636
    eachdolphin636's Avatar Become A Pro!

manny wins by desicion might get hurt in the fight but he will control moseley and force him with weird angles in the corner to make his right hook less powerful mosley only chance is to cut the ring and become a bigger fighter that he is if he lets paqiou jab first he is in for a long fight that will break his will but there shouldnt be no knock outs