SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Why im on Paul Daley

Hey, Riot here. I had to cancel my old account so i could use this one, Sports Pedagogy is the banner we are using for our picks. Pretty fun stuff, Anyways...

For as much Hype as Diaz is getting and the public is all over him, you would think the line would be -550 minimum right ? It's not, and heres why, Nick Diaz is a good striker without a lot of KO power and hes a good at BJJ, but he is a horrible wrestler. His take downs are very weak, look at his first match with K.J. Noons, he couldnt get him down. Daley is a striker with decent takedown defense. (Not enough to stop an elite wrestler like Koscheck, but good enough to stop most BJJ guys) Diaz also has very little head movement in his striking.If he trys methodical striking while looking for a takedown, hes going to end up like my boy Dustin Hazelett. Anybody can win any fight, but i think the public will be shocked when Daley holds a Zuffa title tonight. BTW, i hate Daley ... not a big Diaz fan.Both poor sportsmanship that i think hurts the sport i love.Anyways, Best of luck guys.

SportsPedagogy

also , thread title is kinda gay .. just noticed that

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

hahaa Nothin quite like a gay thread title to catch the attention!

I agree with ur assessment and also not a big fan of either but should be a great fight nonetheless! GL tonight

StanleySharp
    StanleySharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I can't stand Daley... but he is going to knock Diaz out tonight.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Agree with you completely, gay title be damned. People write it off and say things like "if Diaz wanted that fight on the ground he would have took him down, he just wants to stand and bang."

It isn't true, he just has really awful wrestling.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    Agree with you completely, gay title be damned. People write it off and say things like "if Diaz wanted that fight on the ground he would have took him down, he just wants to stand and bang."

Yeah I was favouring Diaz by submission but Im weary of another GSot vs Siver situation, but not only is Diaz's wrestling not great he also may have a big enough ego to stand with Daley anyway....at least GSot attempted some poor telegraphed takedowns!

Poppa Catfish

Diaz would have to give up his one big striking advantage, his reach, to initiate grappling seeing as how his takedowns usually are from the clinch (judo background).

He can lazily attempt some, but that might only put him into more hot water. Plus looking at the other side of this, Daley doesn't have poor take down defense.

Poppa Catfish

I wouldn't write out Diaz in a stand up war though, he has an extremely unorthodox style that frustrates people, and he has superior cardio to drown just about all. That and his chin give him a shot even if he can't take the fight to the ground.

I think Daley has an awful good shot at this though, and is at dog prices. Then again we know how dogs are treated on Strikeforce, generally like dogs at Mike Vick's house.

jspectyper
    jspectyper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like Daley's chances. Lets hope for a stand up war!

SportsPedagogy

hahahaha ^^ I think Daley has alot more power where as K.J. Noons is a technical striker, you can throw off some ones technique, but power must be avoided. He could use his reach and keep backing up and moving trying to get Daley to throw a haymaker, then going for a takedown when Daley squares up. Anything can happen, i just like a Daley in this one

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

Ok im going with Daley now

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Though SF has been chalkish as of late, if you guys like the doggies, play 'em... SF has had a handful cash this year so far:

Giant Silva over God
    Pat Healy over Beerbohm
    Chad Griggs over Villante
    Caros Fodor over Douglas
    Ryan Larson over Apple
    Carlo Prater over Travers

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post

Yeah but he doesnt need to be an outstanding wrestler against Daley. He just needs Paul to commit to throwing strikes, so plants his feet and then he can get a single leg.

Both of Nick's fights against KJ Noons make his strategy against Paul quite clear. Same goes with Daley's fight against Masvidal.
    Last edited by Chairib; 04-09-11 at 08:40 PM.

JoshB
    JoshB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

I checked out Daley's loss to Nick Thompson the other day and was suprised how much success Thompson had when he opted to use his jab and reach advantage. Eventually Daley did catch him with a big shot and dropped him, but Thompson did have some succes standing with Paul.

SportsPedagogy

That fight was 2 years ago, thats a long time in MMA. Im not trying to persuade anybody to change their bet, i just think alot of people are thinking Diaz is a lock. I honestly thing Daley wins this, but alot of things could happen

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Quote Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
    I checked out Daley's loss to Nick Thompson the other day and was suprised how much success Thompson had when he opted to use his jab and reach advantage. Eventually Daley did catch him with a big shot and dropped him, but Thompson did have some succes standing with Paul.
    Daley was worried about Nick Thompson's grappling, it's why Paul was so hesitant to pull the trigger, that jab had little to do with it. Again it goes back to getting him to commit to striking and plant his feet.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    Yeah but he doesnt need to be an outstanding wrestler against Daley. He just needs Paul to commit to throwing strikes, so plants his feet and then he can get a single leg.

Both of Nick's fights against KJ Noons make his strategy against Paul quite clear. Same goes with Daley's fight against Masvidal.
    Do you see this as a razor thin margin fight or a blow out?

SportsPedagogy

last thought, Diaz bleeds easily fro all the scar tissue .. could be another dr stoppage

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

diaz will dominate, probably in round 1 finish

SportsPedagogy

WTF ... just when Diaz gets cut Daley ends up looking like Zab judah ?

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

good maybe that will humble Paul a tad ... i doubt it though

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

Quote Originally Posted by phillybadboy View Post
    diaz will dominate, probably in round 1 finish
    condolances

mitmur1998
    mitmur1998's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by StanleySharp View Post
    I can't stand Daley... but he is going to knock Diaz out tonight.

SportsPedagogy

Daley did knock him out for a split second lol. Hardly a dominating performance bey Diaz. The fight went like i figured, except that Nick Diaz has alot better striking then i thought. When i saw Daley going for a takedown i knew he was in trouble, after he regrouped Diaz tried a take down and failed miserably. Im sad i missed, will get em next time.