Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7304

Is there something wierd going on with Blockchain wallets

Was given a receive address that was 45 characters long for Bitcoin. Google says it maxes out at 35.

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15407

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    Was given a receive address that was 45 characters long for Bitcoin. Google says it maxes out at 35.
    You may have the address of a different crypto.

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15407

What are the first 3 letters/numbers?

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill

bc1qprxmttxsvzylpgad30c2tnwlr34ffk96j0wq 6x was the address.

I am selecting Bitcoin, Private Key Wallet. This structure changed since the last time I used bitcoin, maybe 2 months ago. Maybe blockchain itself is doing something weird around addresses.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9255

bc1qprxmttxsvzylpgad30c2tnwlr34ffk96j0wq 6x was the address.

I am selecting Bitcoin, Private Key Wallet. This structure changed since the last time I used bitcoin, maybe 2 months ago. Maybe blockchain itself is doing something weird around addresses.
    That is a Native Segwit Bitcoin address.

Blockchain updated itself to make that the new default format for their wallets.

Another user here had the same problem and used a legacy wallet address to try and receive and now his btc is stuck and we have not been able to find an answer and Blockcahin support have not helped.

I'd change wallets personally.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post

Blockchain updated itself to make that the new default format for their wallets.

Another user here had the same problem and used a legacy wallet address to try and receive and now his btc is stuck and we have not been able to find an answer and Blockcahin support have not helped.

What is a better go between wallet? I had them send directly to CB in this case. I didn't think it mattered as much on a receive vs a send. I looked at that last night, and was like " I'm not sure about this one"

Optional

What is a better go between wallet? I had them send directly to CB in this case. I didn't think it mattered as much on a receive vs a send. I looked at that last night, and was like " I'm not sure about this one"
    I like Electrum personally. I have it installed as a legacy format wallet.

Raiders can probably give you a good suggestion of some simpler options.

Crusherrr
    Please don't feed the trolls
    Crusherrr's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13875

You just have to go into wallet on Blockchain and change the address type you want. Very easy to do. No need to change when blockchain is great as it is.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by Crusherrr View Post
    You just have to go into wallet on Blockchain and change the address type you want. Very easy to do. No need to change when blockchain is great as it is.
    Poster Unlearn did that, and somehow has managed to have his funds inaccessible.

raiders72001 was unable to work out the problem. Neither was the security guy from Betcoin who tried to help. I was stumped.

Until I know why that happened and how to access those funds, I don't want to suggest people use it.

icon
    icon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6518

THIS

Segwit used for over 76% of all transactions these days. Time to abandon wallets that only support legacy addresses.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill

So for next time, if I had a book send to that address, it would work?

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11340

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't native sedgwit(bc1) the updated version of addresses that you should be using due to it's efficiency and lower cost?

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't native sedgwit(bc1) the updated version of addresses that you should be using due to it's efficiency and lower cost?
    Yes. But not all books will use it.

So you end up with two separate balances that aren't cross compatible.