raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15407

Beijing tells US senators to ‘stop making trouble’ after e-yuan warning at Olympics.

• Overseas visitors will be granted access to China’s digital currency without the need to open a local bank account during trials at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing
    • More than 20.8 million individuals have opened a virtual wallet as part of ongoing trials, according to the People’s Bank of China
    Republican Senators Marsha Blackburn, Roger Wicker, and Cynthia Lummis urged the US Olympic Committee to forbid American athletes from using China’s new digital currency at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, citing espionage and data-security concerns.“Olympic athletes should be aware that the digital yuan may be used to surveil Chinese citizens and those visiting China on an unprecedented scale, with the hopes that they will maintain digital yuan wallets on their smartphones and continue to use it upon return,” the lawmakers wrote in a letter sent on Monday to Susanne Lyons, board chair of the US Olympic Committee.

China’s token, still in trial stages, has triggered concerns that it may challenge the US dollar’s status as the world dominant reserve currency despite assertions from Chinese officials that it will mainly be used for domestic retail transactions.

Across China, more than 20.8 million individuals have opened a virtual wallet, the People’s Bank of China (PBOC) said in a
    white paper published on Friday.

The US politicians should abide by the spirit stipulated in the Olympic Charter, stop making sports a political matter and stop making troubles out of the digital currency in ChinaZhao Lijian

The Senators, all members of the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, requested a briefing on their request within 30 days.

The lawmakers’ actions only revealed their ignorance, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters at a regular press briefing Tuesday in Beijing.

“We suggest they figure out what a digital currency really is,” he said. “The US politicians should abide by the spirit stipulated in the Olympic Charter, stop making sports a political matter and stop making troubles out of the digital currency in China.”
    https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-e...banned-using-e
    Last edited by raiders72001; 07-20-21 at 12:54 PM.

deltgen
    deltgen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4528

Ok raiders, you've given us the facts here, so now I'm curious about what your take is on it. I'm still in the nascent stages of learning cryptocurrency (honestly, I'm still stuck on being dumbfounded by the notion of "inventing" money) but I'm learning bit by bit due in large part to your posts on various subjects related to it sprinkled throughout the forums. What say you?

raiders72001

Three senators are calling on the U.S. national team to effectively boycott China’s digital currency at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.Athletes should be forbidden from “receiving or using digital yuan during the Beijing Olympics,” Republicans Marsha Blackburn, Cynthia Lummis and Roger Wicker said in a Monday letter to the U.S. Olympic Committee leadership, citing privacy concerns.

“We cannot allow America’s athletes to be used as a Trojan horse to increase the Chinese Communist Party’s ability to spy on the United States,” Lummis told CoinDesk.
    https://www.coindesk.com/us-senators...-2022-olympics

raiders72001

Quote Originally Posted by deltgen View Post
    Ok raiders, you've given us the facts here, so now I'm curious about what your take is on it. I'm still in the nascent stages of learning cryptocurrency (honestly, I'm still stuck on being dumbfounded by the notion of "inventing" money) but I'm learning bit by bit due in large part to your posts on various subjects related to it sprinkled throughout the forums. What say you?
    Centralized crypto-currencies are inevitable. Those funds will be in total control of governments. China wants to have the global currency and the e-yuan would be the perfect fit.

Bitcoin and most other cryptos are decentralized. They aren't controlled by any governments. I don't see decentralized crypto-currencies going away in noncommunist countries. There's too much acceptance for it to be killed.