nymfan99
    nymfan99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4877

Crypto Traceability

If I receive BITCOIN in my wallet, and then go to a website like: https://shapeshift.io/#/coins, where I can convert bitcoin to ether for example, is this transaction trackable? More specifically, if Party A sends bitcoin from their wallet to my wallet and then I use shapeshift to convert bitcoin to ether and I send that ether back to Party A. Can Party A track the transaction and know that the ether transaction actually came from the original bitcoin transaction?

icon
    icon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6518

Short answer is yes, it can be tracked, but it is time consuming and not easy.

I seriously doubt anyone you deal with would even think about trying to track any of your transactions.

nymfan99
    nymfan99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4877

are there privacy coins where this can work? How can an exchange from bitcoin to ether be trackable? Shouldn't this act as the ultimate scrambler.

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

yeah shapeshift from coin to coin is not traceable in the common sense, yes I am sure some super nerd with a quantum computer could track it but coinbase or gemini not a chance nor would they even think to try

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15360

Quote Originally Posted by nymfan99 View Post
    If I receive BITCOIN in my wallet, and then go to a website like: https://shapeshift.io/#/coins, where I can convert bitcoin to ether for example, is this transaction trackable? More specifically, if Party A sends bitcoin from their wallet to my wallet and then I use shapeshift to convert bitcoin to ether and I send that ether back to Party A. Can Party A track the transaction and know that the ether transaction actually came from the original bitcoin transaction?
    They explain it better than I can. https://www.deepdotweb.com/2018/01/3...n-with-monero/

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15360

You need to use privacy coins such as Monero and ZCash.

lotuspod
    lotuspod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4023

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    yeah shapeshift from coin to coin is not traceable in the common sense, yes I am sure some super nerd with a quantum computer could track it but coinbase or gemini not a chance nor would they even think to try
    It's already been done, no quantum computer needed lol. Description from the research paper - "In this paper, we use data scraped from ShapeShift over a six-month period and the data from eight different blockchains in order to explore this question. Beyond developing new heuristics and demonstrating the ability to create new types of links across cryptocurrency ledgers, we also identify various patterns of cross-currency trades and of the general usage of these platforms, with the ultimate goal of understanding whether they serve either a criminal or a profit-driven agenda."

For many the solution to the privacy issue lies in zero knowledge proofs, it's a good start anyway.
    Last edited by lotuspod; 11-22-18 at 07:37 PM.