bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fantasy MLB Baseball Sleepers

2006 Fantasy MLB Sleeper Picks
    Okay, it’s that time of year. Spring is in the air. Spring training is on the way and you are preparing for your league’s Fantasy Baseball Draft. And while most people can adequately prepare the top of their draft board with a list of the best and brightest that major league baseball has to offer, it is the bottom half of the list that will give most people trouble. The bottom half is where you have to separate the diamonds in the rough, from the over-rated former superstars hanging onto one more season, as well as the over hyped rookies and prospects. So if you are too busy watching the World Baseball Classic to do your due diligence on this years crop of potential sleepers, let me help you out with a list of the top Sleeper pick options for the 2006 season.

2006 Sleeper Picks:

B.J. Upton, Devil Rays, SS
    It’s hard to call the second overall pick in the 2002 a sleeper pick, but with defense being an issue, he is stuck behind Julio Lugo in the Devil Ray line-up. Still the upside on Upton is high. His quick wrists and strength despite a small frame, gives him a lively bat that could translate to a .300 average and 20 homers over the course of a full season. This five-tool player is also equipped with enough speed to steal +30 bases in a season. Limited to just 159 at bats last year, Upton collected 14 extra base hits and 4 steals. In keeper leagues he is definitely worth the gamble.

Carlos Quentin, Diamondbacks, OF
    I know what you are thinking, Carlos who? Carlos Quentin. Arizona’s 2003 1st round draft pick out of Stanford. Carlos under went Tommy john elbow surgery right after college, and recovered well enough to post 42 homeruns and a .316 average in his two years of minor league ball. Carlos is also aggressive enough at the plate to have set a minor league record by being hit by a pitch 43 times in one season. A crowded Arizona outfield featuring Gonzalez, Green and Bynes still stand in the way of Quentin getting substantial playing time, but Carlos will hit his way into the line-up over the course of the season.

Justin Morneau, Twins, 1B
    Okay stop laughing. Morneau was over hyped coming into the 2005 season, and then had an injured plague year that accounted for a pitiful .239 average and 22 homers in 141 games. Somewhere halfway between last year’s pre-season hype and his disastrous 2005 season is where the real Morneau lies. If you had him on your team last year and saw him struggle, you will probably ignore him this year, which makes him the perfect sleeper pick for someone else. Roll the die with Justin and he will reward you with a +30 homerun year.

Prince Fielder, Brewers, 1B
    It was a hard decision to add Fielder to this list of sleepers since odds are that a good number of people have heard of him by now and he might get over hyped in some leagues. But just in case he slips through amiss a strong group of first basemen, keep Prince in mind for the later rounds. The Brewers traded away Overbay to make room for Prince at first. Though he still needs work with his defense, no one can deny that Cecil Fielder’s kid has power. Already this Spring Prince has sent one homerun past the 450 ft mark. Fielder was consistent enough in the minors to put up +20 HRs in A, AA, and AAA ball. There is no reason to believe that he will not do the same this year at the Major league level.

Justin Verlander, Tigers, SP
    Verlander was the second player taken over all in the 2004 draft. Though marked with an enormous amount of talent, Justin had a poor showing in a stint with the Tigers last July. Those two starts produced an ERA over 7.00, which might just help mask the fact that Verlander is one of the strongest pitching prospects coming up this year. This power pitcher will feel right at home in Detroit’s pitcher friendly ball park, so expect that ERA to go down below 4.00 if he pitches for the club this year.

Deep Sleeper:

Delmon Young, Devil Rays, OF
    Whether or not the Devil Rays bring Delmon on for a full season in 2006 remains to be seen. Yet in the near future this former first pick over all (2003) will be tearing the cover of the ball. If you want a real gamble with a sky-high ceiling of potential, then Delmon is your man. Once he sticks in the majors, Delmon will out hit his brother Dmitri.

So if you weren’t able to do your homework on sleeper picks prior to the draft, relax, one of these six players is bound to slip through your draft without notice and become a late round sleeper pick for your team. Good luck and happy drafting.

presley177
    presley177's Avatar Become A Pro!

Morneau is the only player I think will have a big impact in 06

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Justin Morneau, Twins, 1B
    I dont really think he is to much of a sleeper. He was to be a big player last season before he got hurt. So I think everyone will be looking to pick him up in the drafts.

B.J. Upton, Devil Rays, SS
    He is going to be a talented SS one day, if not soon. He should drop far down in drafts, if not be sitting there on the Free Agent list after your draft. If you need a good back up, and he is out there, pick him up.

presley177

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    I dont really think he is to much of a sleeper. He was to be a big player last season before he got hurt. So I think everyone will be looking to pick him up in the drafts.

He is going to be a talented SS one day, if not soon. He should drop far down in drafts, if not be sitting there on the Free Agent list after your draft. If you need a good back up, and he is out there, pick him up.
    don't tip your hand too much!

bostonceltics13
    bostonceltics13's Avatar Become A Pro!

What is happening with Travis Haffner (DH/1B). He had two seasons of 100 RBI and +.300 average. Is he finally going to break out this year and become an All-star for the Indians? I also like Felix Hernandez (SP) from Seattle. With Sexon, Beltre and Ichiro he should get the run support to win a few games. Any suggetions? Thanks

presley177

Quote Originally Posted by bostonceltics13
    What is happening with Travis Haffner (DH/1B). He had two seasons of 100 RBI and +.300 average. Is he finally going to break out this year and become an All-star for the Indians? I also like Felix Hernandez (SP) from Seattle. With Sexon, Beltre and Ichiro he should get the run support to win a few games. Any suggetions? Thanks
    The M's will be too careful with King Felix to let him win too many games. He won't have too many games going over 6 innings.

Beltre will have a better year but watch out for that hip flexor...Ichiro and Sexson will both have good season.

Hafner will have a great year but won't make the all-star team.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

The biggest problem with Hafner is he can't play the field, either real or unreal baseball. I probably would have kept him in one of my keeper leagues this year if he could fill something besides DH/Utility.

Sleeper is probably a hard term to really nail down with one definition. A few guys who could be had from the middle rounds on that I like are...

Nomar Garciaparra (should eventually qualify for 1B-SS-3B)

Mark Loretta (coming off down year and in Boston lineup)

Luis A Gonzalez (infielder for Rockies could be a nice late round pick)

Chad Qualls (Astros setup arm could vulture a few wins)

Jason LaRue (always seems to get overlooked on draft day, grab his backup Javier Valentin later as well)

Matt Murton (Cubs outfielder will be a nice late round find, should pound 18-20 homers)

Jae Seo (I like him in the 5-slot of the Dodgers' rotation)

Blaine Boyer and Joey Devine (Young ATL relievers who could be closing, maybe sharing closing duties, before too deep into the season)

H Gruber
    H Gruber's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jeremy Hermida for the Marlins. Top hitting prospect with ridiculous strike zone discipline. (He walks at a Bonds-like rate). He figures to be hitting in the middle of the new look Marlins lineup.

Also Reggie Sanders. Don't laugh. He was having a great year until he got injured and he projects to bat cleanup for KC. I don't care what POS tam you're on, if you bat cleanup, you will get some stats.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Yet another corner of the Fourth Estate heard from. Hunt's actually been around for a long time and, off the top of my head, probably hits on 67% of his picks in the game. I'm just posting a couple of his lists here...

John Hunt / USA today
    The Comatose Sleepers
    These are the sleepers almost everybody knows about. If you're fortunate enough, or shrewd or unscrupulous enough, to be in a league with owners who don't know about these guys, then here you go — eat up ...

C —Kenji Johjima, Sea.
    1B—Prince Fielder, Mil.
    2B —Rickie Weeks, Mil.
    3B—Ryan Zimmerman, Was.
    SS—Clint Barmes, Col.
    OF—Curtis Granderson, Det.
    OF—Jeff Francoeur, Atl.
    OF—Nick Swisher, Oak.
    SP—Daniel Cabrera, Bal.
    RP—Chris Ray, Bal.

The Age 27 Sleepers
    You know the theory: Players tend to have breakthrough seasons at age 27 more often than at any other age. Victor Martinez, Jason Bay, Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley and Vernon Wells are some 27-year-olds who obviously have already arrived. Boston's Kevin Youkilis, Colorado outfielder Jorge Piedra and Florida's Josh Willingham and Chris Aguila also fit the description, as do catchers Yorvit Torrealba and Miguel Olivo.

C —Humberto Cota, Pit.
    1B—Nick Johnson, Was.
    2B—Luis Gonzalez, Col.
    3B—Adrian Beltre, Sea.
    SS—Angel Berroa, K.C.
    OF—Kevin Mench, Tex.
    OF—Brad Hawpe, Col.
    OF—Xavier Nady, NY-N
    SP—Erik Bedard, Bal.
    RP—Jose Valverde, Ari. (in July)