bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Phillies in 2006

Just wondering what people think the Phillies will do in this coming season. I think they still, despite losing Thome, have one of the best lineups in the National League. Rollins, Utley, Abreu, Howard and Burrell is an impressive top five in the order. If they could just replace the enigmatic David Bell at third. He has a solid season which is then quickly replaced by one you would rather forget. I can't believe he's lasted four years already in Philadelphia.

I think the problem, which has been the last few years, has been the pitching staff. More specifically the starters. Myers, Lieber and Liddle form a solid top three in the rotation. However, after that is where the problem lies. The last two spots is a battle between often injured Randy Wolf, Ryan Franklin, who has lost 31 games the last two years, and Ryan Madson. The Phillies want to try him in the rotation especially after signing Arthur Rhodes as their new setup man. Madson has been really solid out of the bullpen for the team the last two years. They also have some good young arms in Robinson Tejada, Cole Hamels and Gavin Floyd. The closer spot is a drop aftering losing Wagner to the Mets. He's replaced by the ageless wonder Tom "Flash" Gordon. Gordon hasn't been a team's closer since 2001.

maritime
    maritime's Avatar Become A Pro!

Should be able to get fairly good overall line value this season with the Phillies since expectations are down a bit and division focus is shifting to Mets. I expect around a .500 season.