curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

ESPN stats are completely wrong

Well, I couldn't figure out why the strategy that worked so well last year was such a complete disaster this year. So, I looked at ESPN stats today and compared them to yesterday. And, they are completely wrong. I use the last 7 games as a filter. Yesterday Detroit scored 11 runs. Not only was today's stat wrong, but I went back over Detroit's last 7 games figures and ESPN has had them totally wrong since I started posting. I double checked some of the other teams and they are all totally wrong. Not just today, but every day.

Thanks a lot ESPN.

So, I won't be posting baseball picks until I can find another source of data that is actually correct.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

Deja Vu.. When I was like 13 I wondered if stats located in the sports page in the Daily Newspaper were right. If they indicated Michael Jordan was averaging 29 pts a game, I wouldn't know if they were liars

curious

Quote Originally Posted by rake922 View Post
    Deja Vu.. When I was like 13 I wondered if stats located in the sports page in the Daily Newspaper were right. If they indicated Michael Jordan was averaging 29 pts a game, I wouldn't know if they were liars
    I guess it is my fault. I shouldn't have taken it for granted that the stats were correct.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

That's why I try and keep my own stats, but work, life etc sometimes takes priority and once you fall behind it's too hard to catch up. We're not even a month in and I am behind on my stat keeping.

MrX
    MrX's Avatar Become A Pro!

I keep my own stats, but I'm surprised that ESPN would be "completely wrong." Can you give specific examples I can check?

curious

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    I keep my own stats, but I'm surprised that ESPN would be "completely wrong." Can you give specific examples I can check?
    Runs scored last 7 days. I checked 5 teams they were all wrong. I will say I am not sure if ESPN here means calendar days or game days.

turnip
    turnip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2110

7 days does mean days and not games.

Perhaps they have updated since your original post, but they look to be correct at the moment at this page: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/...tting&type=reg

7-games would be a more useful stat of course, since teams have played different amounts of games in the past 7 days.