willyback
    willyback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Looks Like Detroit Might Be A Little Bit OVERRATED?

With an offensive line-up like Detroit's, how do they justify losing their home opener (in game one) and then getting shut-out by KC in their second regular season game?

OLGC_Slayer
    OLGC_Slayer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its so early its hard to say. Wouldnt really be all that surprised to see a Royals sweep. Little too ballsy for me right now but Bonderman isn't exactly Bob Feller. Greinke is the better pitcher here and the Tigs bullpen isnt exactly that impressive IMHO.
    You know Tigers that lineup is going to bust out at some point but it doesnt have to be tomorrow.

I think I have almost talked myself into a play on the Royals tomorrow.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36705

They have looked terrible in their first two games, but the thing is, is that it is only 2 games into a long season.

OLGC_Slayer
    OLGC_Slayer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Post deleted

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

kc is turning the corner. I expect them to go over their season win total and give a lot of playoff teams a run for their money.

treece
    treece's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

I'm going to be on Detroit big today. They're feeling embarrassed right now losing their first two games to the lowly royals especially at home. Tigers salvage the series today.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Well, it's two games into the season and they're without Granderson, the catalyst to their lineup. That being said, I think the Tigers will have problems much of the season. Everyone points to their bullpen as the weakness (rightfully so), but that rotation is extremely ordinary after Verlander. Their No. 2 pitcher is 43 and coming off an injury-plagued season. Bonderman's the single most overrated starter in baseball. Dontrelle's seen his ERA, WHIP and BAA rise from 2.63/1.13/.243 respectively in '05, to 5.17/1.70/.294 in just two seasons and now transitions to the AL. Robertson is what he is -- a No. 5 starter. Detroit's problems are legit. Not because they're 0-2, but because they're a very flawed team. The Tigers are going to have to win a lot of 11-8 games to make the playoffs. I don't think it's happening. Cleveland's the best team in the Central (and the AL, for that matter). So, yes, they're overrated based on many peoples' expectations for this team.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Why is Bonderman the most overrated starter rjt?

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by imgv94 View Post
    Why is Bonderman the most overrated starter rjt?
    It's all subjective, of course, but just based on the perception of Bondy being a front-of-the-rotation pitcher, he doesn't measure up. He's regularly priced as an ace when it's just not the case. His WHIP, BAA and other statistical measures for pitchers over the last three seasons are right around the league average. He has a great arm and a lot of unrealized potential, but he's shown little improvement, and until he does he'll likely continue to be a moneyburner.

j$
    j$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

didn't Tiger win like 13 games in a row last year in which Bonderman started???? They play well when he pitches always and they will win tomorrow

willyback

tir721's right...

Bondy is overrated, plus he runs out of gas in the second half. The 2006 Tigers were a magical club. They've been trying to reproduce that formula ever since, but it's just not working.

Thankfully for the Tigers, it is extremely early in the season. They still have a chance to get busy.

(i meant rit721)

buztah
    buztah's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bonderman was supposedly sent home sick yesterday and is not 100%, so a little birdie told me early this morn.

turnip
    turnip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2110

I think it's too early to say, 2 games is nothing. The bullpen is well documented as their weakness, but so far it's been the bats. I think they wake up today. Maybe Jeremy will mow through the Royals lineup so he can hurry up and get to the bathroom.

Cee
    Cee's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think KC is underrated more than anything. They have a nice b-pen. If they could get some starting pitching they'll be much better than usual kc.

turnip
    turnip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2110

No Cabrera today

willyback

Quote Originally Posted by Cee View Post
    I think KC is underrated more than anything. They have a nice b-pen. If they could get some starting pitching they'll be much better than usual kc.
    They have Meche and Bannister... Grenke's not that bad either. They actually might make some noise this year when I really start to think about it.

The central division (AL) might be tougher than I thought.

MeatMan73
    MeatMan73's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tiger mgr Leyland on TV a little bit ago: says the team wasnt ready to play coming out of spring training and he accepts full responsibility. Gave those vets too much slack in Fla.
    Last year- Tigs sucked until 1st week of May, then went on a long winning streak. Det has many Latino players who seemingly dont get going in the April cold.