BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price
    BeatingBaseball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

Pitching Matchups vs Team Dynamics

Way back when, there was a time when pitchers were undervalued in the lines on MLB. A sharp handicapper who knew his pitchers could back then easily outperform the lines. The public, although they liked certain pitchers more than others, for the most part underappreciated the extremely significant impact of the pitching matchup on the outcome expectation and they generally just bet their teams.

Of course, that was a long time ago. Over the years, with the increased sophistication and efficiecy of analysis plus all the available data on the web, the lines are driven far more on the pitching analysis. But it seems to me that maybe the pendulum has swung a little too far. Everyone follows the pitchers to such a degree that the top tier guys are over priced more often than not.

In my own handicapping, I've had success the last couple of seasons weighing the analysis a little more toward the team dynamic - at times to an extreme. There are simply times when a club is so hot (or so cold) it almost doesn't matter who is on the mound. Note that I say almost and at times.

I'd be interested in other observations/comments on this, if you think the lines have become a little too heavily skewed toward the starters and how the cappers in this forum balance their analysis.

Just something to put out there.

jcljack25
    jcljack25's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree 100%, look at Halladay recently. The Phils have not hit at all yet people insist on laying 240 because Roy is on the mound. You cant win a game 0-0. The only time I will lay large juice is when the team is hot and the pitching matchup is also in my favor.

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

Agreed with both of you. Great pitchers are like great goalies-they can only limit the opposition's ability to score. They cannot produce offence and statistically even the best are going to allow the odd hit/score. Pitching is part of an overall team picture, although I despise watching entire ball games since it can often work out to be pitcher v. batter ad nauseum. Cheers