rthoughton
    rthoughton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2101

Phils Continue to Roll and Now Start a LONG Homestand.

After an impressive sweep in South Florida, the Phillies start a home series versus the New York Metropolitans, sending Joe Blanton to the hill to face Jonathon Niese. Last night the Phillies got some more magic last night after Romero blew a two run lead and 6+ shutout innings from the newly acquired Roy Oswalt, who was in danger of losing yet again in a game that he pitched very well. The Phils gave up four runs in the 7th inning to all but blow the Oswalt gem. But, in the 9th, the Phils got 2 late runs to tie the game, got some amazing luck from the third base umpire and kept the NL East deficit to just two games.
    The Phils begin a fantastic schedule stretch, playing 17 of their next 20 games in Citizen’s Bank Park with the home fans. With some more of this great play (12 wins in 14 games) through this home slanted stretch, the Phils may keep themselves in striking distance, get healthy and leave the Braves (who have the best record in the NL) in their wake.
    PHI -135 (Blanton) v NYM +115 (Niese) o/u8.5:
    J Niese (11-8, 3.78) takes the ball for the Mets tonight after coming off a less than stellar home outing versus the Arizona Diamondbacks, giving up 7 hits and 7 runs (6 earned) in 4.1 innings, gave up two homers, and walked more than he struck out. However, in his lone start versus the Phils, Niese had some success. He got the win, went 7 innings and struck out 7, walked 1 and only allowed 4 hits. He will need a controlled outing tonight if he is to get the win versus the rolling Phils. As mentioned in my last write up, the Phils really seem to get to pitchers that don’t throw strikes, as they are very patient at the dish and really drive up the pitch count.
    Blanton (7-10, 5.86) gets the nod for the Phils looking for their 13th win in their last 15 games. Joe epitomizes the controversial QS stat, always seeming to go 6+ and allowing 3 earned. He missed his QS last outing, giving up 4 earned in his standard 6 innings, but the Phils took the L at Washington in the last series in which they really struggled in late July. Blanton did strike out 8 and walked 1, and that has really been his way all season, posting a 72K:26BB rate on the season. Blanton just really seems to struggle in the first inning and then beyond the 6th. If he is to give up runs early, then it is just going to be one of those typical Blanton starts, but if he can get an early 3 outs, get into a groove and go deep into the game, then the Phils should be in prime position to get this homestand off on the right foot.
    I can’t see betting against the Phightin’ Phils here. They are an absolute tear. I have been getting hurt a little bit trying to get on the run line, but with this line today, the play is the money line and I also really like the over tonight.

ATL -160 (Hanson) v. SFO +140 (Zito): Braves get the chalk at home tonight against the very good Giants and Zito. Another must win for each team, both desperately looking for a playoff spot. Wild Card and Division implications here. I like the Giants tonight, Hanson has struggled and the Giants cant lose two in a row here, right?
    Have a good Friday night, enjoy your weekend, and the best of luck to you.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Still a good amount til playoffs but if the PHI can continue to grind out wins they should feel like a brand new team once Howard, Victorino, and Utley return to the lineup. Unfortunately unless their bats get red hot they are going to hit a wall in the post season. That pen of theirs gives everyone in the tri-state area indigestion every night.

As terrible as NYM have been I can see the Phils losing this series. This rival will have the home crowd up and buzzing but they always seem to drop the ball on teams that they should dominate.

Nice write up RT

KACK
    KACK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3495

Like the giants tonight... don't forget both the Braves and the Phils will need to catch these Giants for the wildcard....

bigsmitty
    bigsmitty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 370

Nice writeup. Seemed like a decent price so I went with PHI. Cheers

ROFLcopter
    ROFLcopter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1284

Leaning mets and under tonight. Mets win 5-2

rthoughton
    rthoughton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2101

whoops. Huff hits it again. Phils and the over.
    The Phils dwindle the lead to 1. The crowd is back willing the phils' bats. Chooch is the man, but sure, the pen blows.
    Im not sure if you've been watching, but it seems the offense is going well from here.
    Howard will be back soon, Utley on the 26th, Shaney any day now, and 16 of the next 19 are at CBP.
    Phils will win the NLCS again. mark it down.