rthoughton
    rthoughton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2101

Phils Look to Avoid the Sweep in a Must Win Behind Cole Hamels.

Today the Philadelphia Phillies look to rebound from a disappointing loss, as well as avoid a 3 game sweep at the hands of the Washington Nationals. Last night, Phils’ closer Brad Lidge was given a save opportunity that he couldn’t cash, and the Nats’ third baseman Ryan Zimmerman hit a walk-off, three run home run that kept the Phils from closing back within 2.5 games of the division leading Atlanta Braves. The deficit is still just 3.5, as it was going into the game last night, but is certainly much better than the 7 games they found themselves back just a little over a week ago.
    The Phils look to get back on the winning side of things and will hope for some more help from the pesky Reds to get that lead back to 2.5. The Nationals won their last series versus the Braves, helping the Phils gain a little ground, but now have certainly returned the favor as they have made easy work of the Phils. Unfortunately for the Bravos, they just haven’t been able to get many games back as they have split the first two with the Cincinnati Reds.
    PHI -165 (Hamels) @ WAS +145 (Lannan); o/u8.5
    Today the Phils look to Cole Hamels (12-9, 3.48), who for quite a long stretch there was victimized by a complete lack of run support. In his last outing against the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Phils gave Hamels nine runs of support and won their fourth straight Cole Hamels start. Hamels has been absolutely stellar of late, allowing only 4 earned runs in those last 4 outings, only allowed one homer, and has become a pretty consistent strikeout guy. The Phils desperately need a great outing from Hamels today, and need the win in this contest even more.

Ryan Howard got the day off yesterday in attempt to bust him out of this little mini-slump. He will definitely be in the lineup today against John Lannan and the Nats, and the Phils would love to get a long ball or two from the “Big Piece.” Every game from here on out is obviously a big game for any team in the midst of a division/wild card race, but especially for the Phils who are chasing a young, driven Braves team that has a fantastic pitching staff. There wont be many opportunities like the one the Phils had this weekend with the Braves on the road versus a fantastic Reds team with whom they have had some trouble.
    John Lannan (7-7, 5.76) gets the ball today for the Nationals in what is his first start since a June 20th loss at home to the Chicago White Sox. Lannan only last 4.0 innings in that outing, allowed 11 hits and 5 earned, and found himself in the midst of a serious funk. In his last three starts (6/20, 6/15, 6/9), Lannan took the loss in the final two, and allowed double digit hits in each of those starts. Hopefully for the Nationals the got him straightened out and he will give them some decent innings today, as he has shown the ability to get some wins at the big league level. Lannan is not a strike out pitcher, and doesn’t have overpowering stuff, but what he does have, when he’s on, is great movement, good location, and allows his defense to do their job.
    The Phils always seem to have difficulty with the Nats, for whatever reason, and that probably won’t change today. The Nats are hot, are beating up on the teams they are looking up to in the division standings, and clearly wont be an easy win today either. The Phils desperately need this game today and will hope for some help from their friends in Cincy. Here is a must win, again, and look for the Phils to finally bust out today.
    Take the Phils today, and play it unnecessarily confidently. Hamels should go deep today.

*W-L records are team records in pitchers’ starts.
    Last edited by rthoughton; 08-01-10 at 10:05 AM.

dukeblue888
    dukeblue888's Avatar Become A Pro!

phillies and the over

rthoughton

I wrote that down, ha, in the final line (that became "take the phils today, and...") used to be ...and the over.
    Right on, Homes, I kinda agree... but just didn't wanna be way off when the Phils struggle to score again for Hamels and Cole shuts em down.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

Not touching it. Never know which Cole you get. He looked like a girl against the dbacks last week. Pass

jresse
    jresse's Avatar Become A Pro!

ill take it good luck

J-Ro11
    J-Ro11's Avatar Become A Pro!

going on it as the nats really arent good (although the phils find it tough to beat the shit teams) and the phils lost 2 in a row.

theyll avoid the sweep.

nice write up.

gl all

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

written like a true
    with that said: Go Phils!
    rthoughton-what's your take on the oswalt/happ deal?

PDW
    PDW's Avatar Become A Pro!

I will be on the Phillies today.

greenshark11
    greenshark11's Avatar Become A Pro!

i really like the phills today as well. good luck

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Will probably stay away from this game also.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Wash ML for me.

I think these teams are dead even.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

Its wash or no play. I was laughing the other day when they got oswalt and the phillies players they were interviewed were talking how nasty halladay > oswalt > Cole is.....maybe a few years ago that would have been insane but oswalt sucks and Cole hasnt returned to his mvp for for more than one game this season.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Phils ff for me. If I have to watch the closing pitching in the 8th n 9th I'll blow my fvckin head off.

soxwin
    soxwin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7162

taking the phils w/RL on the mini here for -110. Lannan 0-7 w/6.32 ERA in 47IP. vs phils. Lannan's L3 starts in Harrisburg were awful too. 14 IP 26 Runners 12 runs. Normally look towards the dogs but this one stood out for near even $$$

rthoughton

Well... ya... I like your thinking here... except Stammen had a 15.56 era against the Phils before he dominated them in game 1 of the series.
    I hope youre right. They sure need it today. Ive been on the RL every game so far... that hasnt worked out too well.
    Ill prob parlay something today with the ML and go straight on the RL. Hamels should be great today... if they can just get out of that damn first inning unscathed.