rthoughton
    rthoughton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2101

Oswalt for Philly Today, Who Look for 9 Straight.

Another day gone and yet another win for the Philadelphia Phillies. Last night the Phils won in walk-off fashion in the 11th inning and now have the Atlanta Braves in their cross-hairs, sitting only 2.5 games back and it’s not even the first of August. Many in the sports world had the Phils left for dead only a week ago, and since then, the Phils have strung together 8 straight wins and diminished the Braves’ formerly 7 game lead in what seemed like a matter of seconds.

The Phillies’ GM, Ruben Amaro Jr. stayed proactive, once again, and put together a deal yesterday that brought the best available trade deadline starter to his team and $11mil. The Phils shipped J. Happ and a couple of minor leaguers to the Astros for who would have become the teams all-time win leader at some point in the next few days. Roy Oswalt was scheduled to take the ball for the Astros today with a chance to tie that mark with his 144th win in Houston, instead he’ll make that scheduled start in Washington D.C. for the Phillies. The Phils are on absolute fire right now in the midst of their longest home winning streak in over 2 decades, already have arguably the best pitcher in baseball in Doc Halladay, a World Series and NLCS MVP in Cole Hamels, white-hot offense, promising young superstar Domonic Brown (who the Phillies got to keep by sending Lee to the Mariners, by the way), add Roy Oswalt and send him to the hill today to turn that win streak into 9 straight.

Oswalt is a four-pitch starter, who goes fastball (two versions of a heater), slider, curve and newly found change. Roy’s heat can reach 98, but normally sits in the 93-96 range, has consistent sink and has dominated entire games with that pitch alone. He works off of this pitch, is aggressive, and challenges all hitters. His second best is a filthy 12-6 curve that averages about 69 mph, and the difference in velocity alone puts his opposition in a difficult spot.

Today his opposition is the Washington Nationals who look to return the favor to the Braves after beating them in the past series and allowing the Phils to nip their heals. Surprisingly, some of the Nats’ hitters have had some success against Oswalt over the past 5 seasons. Dunn has obviously had the most ABs against the guy, spending so many seasons in the NL Central with the Reds, has a .314 average in 35 ABs with 3 homers and 7 ribbies, and Zimmerman and Willingham both have .300 marks against Roy O. The Nationals send Craig Stammen to the mound who has had zero success whatsoever in his 2 career starts versus the Phils. In those two, Stammen is 0-0 with a 15.63 ERA and has not won a game this season since the 29th of June. To say the least, this matchup is a bit one sided, and the oddsmakers agree whole-heartedly, giving the Phils -175 chalk to take the opener.

PHI -175 (Oswalt) @ WASH +155 (Stammen); o/u8; PHI -1.5 -115.
    The Phightin’ Phils are on an absolute roll right now and there is absolutely no reason not to ride them until it changes, and honestly, that change probably is not going to happen. The only true question marks left for them in a relatively weak National League is their bullpen and their health. Expect them to win this series and close in even further on the youthful Atlanta Braves, who absolutely are hearing footsteps, and watching the buzz all over the television set.

NL East Race watch:
    ATL +120 (Medlen) @ CIN -140 (Cueto): It certainly doesn’t get any easier for the Braves this weekend as they head into Cincinnati to face the Central division challenging Reds. Cueto takes the ball for the Reds and has been their best pitcher of late, basically dominant of late, allowing a total of 5 earned runs in his last 46.2 IP. Hopefully Bobby Cox can keep his youngsters relaxed during this immense test. They look to Kris Medlen who was once a touted prospect himself, and who has pitched well this season posting a 6-2 record and a 3.57 record. The only problem is, though, that he seems to struggle on the road. He is coming off a 6 inning 5 earned performance at the Marlins. He better have his best today on the road as he faces a hungry Reds team who are swinging hot bats. The Reds should take game one, and the Braves will seriously begin to press and slowly fade away into the distance.
    Last edited by rthoughton; 07-30-10 at 09:41 AM.

Htd
    Htd's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nice write up....good luck

rthoughton

I really think that I like the RL play on the phils today. And I really would like to parlay phils and reds. This is almost getting comedic.

sportsmom911
    sportsmom911's Avatar Become A Pro!

i like phils

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

do not like pitchers when they get shipped and then start next day, to big of a question to me on that 1st start and to much road juice, not that it wont win just a situation i dont really like...leaning over but havnt decided if i will even play that....gl

rthoughton

Stammen is just too bad versus the Phils. really struggles. Oswalt has been great, just no support. He'll get that tonight and really look to impress his new squad.

2daBank

he didnt look great last start and historically he has struggled against all the east teams including Nats....ive seen two pitchers change teams this year and make the start the next day, Lee (who is much better than Oswalt) and Haren (not as good) both got hit pretty good Lee losing as a huge fav to a shit team.......like i said i lean over, not playing a side...gl

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Cliff Lee got traded and in his first start he got nailed at home by the Orioles. That was his 2nd worst game of the season. Still like the Phils I guess.

rthoughton

Oswalt is 3-2 lifetime vs Washington, with a 3.52 era and an impressive 0.99 WHIP. (that isn't a struggle. just zero support from a shitty team.)
    The Rangers had lost 6 of their previous 9 games to open July before Lee took the hill. He got hit around a little bit, but got zero support. Still went the distance. The O's were pretty hot that weekend.
    Haren went 4.2, gave up 2 runs and struck out 8 before taking one off the forearm. He pitched very well.
    I was going to comment on this being strictly coincidental, but it's not even really true.
    Stammen has a 15+ era vs the Phils lifetime, and faces the hottest version tonight he has ever seen.
    Oswalt will look to impress his new teammates and absolutely will be re-energized with this move. Oswalt has been great this season, 3.42 120k in 129 innings. The Astros just blow.
    He got beat last time out versus the Reds and Cueto, Im ok with that. I watched Halladay get beat by the Reds, too.
    How did Cliff Lee do in his first start for the Phils about a year ago today? CG 4 Hit gem.
    http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index...llies_deb.html

gshock1
    gshock1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 750

Oswalt has looked very, very suspect in his last 2 outings. I do not like the Phillies in this spot one bit. Its too much juice to be laying on the road against a feisty Nats team. I also agree w/ 2dabanks' viewpoint on pitchers going the day after a trade. Cliff Lee got lit up at home by the O's for crying out loud.

TT77
    TT77's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rthoughton View Post
    PHI -175 (Oswalt) @ WASH +155 (Stammen); o/u8; PHI -1.5 -115.
    The Phightin’ Phils are on an absolute roll right now and there is absolutely no reason not to ride them until it changes, and honestly, that change probably is not going to happen. The only true question marks left for them in a relatively weak National League is their bullpen and their health. Expect them to win this series and close in even further on the youthful Atlanta Braves, who absolutely are hearing footsteps, and watching the buzz all over the television set.

good luck

rthoughton

...for a team who was shopping him, who he didnt want to play for anymore, in the midst of trade talks.
    Every start matters now for Oswalt who just joined a NL pennant contender... two time defender, i should say.
    Gem today. Gem.
    Dont play that ml juice, play the Run line at -115.
    money. Stammen will get hammered.

phLLyphan11
    phLLyphan11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah I plan on sitting back and just watching Mr. Roy do his thing...no bet for me.

mitote
    mitote's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5348

The Nats will see the read deal Phillies tonight! The mo is rollin! Phillies are a lock!

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by rthoughton View Post
    ...for a team who was shopping him, who he didnt want to play for anymore, in the midst of trade talks.
    Every start matters now for Oswalt who just joined a NL pennant contender... two time defender, i should say.
    Gem today. Gem.
    Dont play that ml juice, play the Run line at -115.
    money. Stammen will get hammered.

someone getting hammered alright.....shocking.....

2daBank

here i thought you said Oswalt had a imaginary switch he was gonna hit and all a sudden pitch great cause he had a philly jersey on....funny how it doesnt work like that, but you so smart and just trying to share your vast knowledge with us "fools"

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

washed. it wasnt a run support issue in houston- he was doin this sh*t there too.

2daBank

hopefully these clowns get something going so i can cash my over......

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

washed the f\*\*k up.

2daBank

over cashes while Oswalt fails.......