Today on the east coast in DC, TB, and NYC, we get an early trio of noon-ish starts.
STL +125 (Hawksworth) @ NYM -145 (Dickey):
There was a time when R.A. Dickey was a good story. When we used to wonder if this knuckleballer would ever get beat. Well, those times are long gone now, and the Mets’ fans are wondering if they’ll ever win one of them. Dickey has still pitched very well, well enough to win, but the Mets just haven’t gotten the job done, losing his last 6 outings in borderline pathetic fashion. Dickey has given the Mets a quality start in 4 of his last 5, and the not-QS was a good one, where he went 5.2 and gave up 0 earned. The Mets managed to lose that one 1-0 at the Dodgers. Dickey has given up a total of 7 earned in his 5 previous July starts and the Mets haven’t won one of ‘em. He’s great at home, too, posting an even 2.00 era in his 27.0 home innings. The guy can certainly pitch, but perhaps Los Mets just simply have something against the guy. He absolutely will give them a chance to win, and this one is for the series, so expect his best.
Blake Hawksworth gets the nod for the Cards and he has been decent this season as well. He has only allowed more than 4 earned in 2 of his last 10 starts, and those were 8 apart. He struggles on the road, however, has a losing record and a 5.50 era in those on the road.

ATL -135 (Lowe) @ WAS +115 (Olsen):
Hudson pitched great again last night, and the Braves got a much needed victory in DC. The Phils are on absolute tear, and it seems like every game the Braves lose costs them a game in the standings. They are desperate for a win every day the rest of the season.
Derek Lowe goes for the Braves and he has been pretty average to say the least. The Braves scored 17 total runs in his last two starts, but they only won one of those, scoring 11 vs the Brewers on the 18th. They have lost five of his last 6 and were amazingy offensively deficient in the four before the 11-run outburst. They certainly should score today, facing Olsen, who is coming off the DL to take the ball for the first time since May. But, if Olsen is completely healthy, and his April-May numbers are legit, the Nats have a serious chance to win this one today. I think the o8.5 is clearly the play here today.

DET +205 (Porcello) @ TB -245 (Price):
Detroit has struggled lately, sure. Tampa has one of the best offenses in the league, sure, and this afternoon they send arguably their best starter and AL all-star starter David Price.
Price (13-5, 2.90 108:51, 1.23) has won every other start since 6/15 and is scheduled for an L today if that trend continues.

Today he faces Porcello who hasn’t gotten a win since the 23rd of May. But, since coming back to the major league club, Rick has pitched very well, showing signs of the 09 campaign that excited so many in the Motor City. Porcello has gone 14.0 innings and allowed 4 earned in Detroit losses at Cleveland (2-1, during their 7-straight AL Central wins versus division leaders) and at home against Toronto (3-2). I don’t know why, but before I looked at the numbers, I thought that this line was a little lofty. I just get this feeling that Detroit finds a way today. It may not be a bad idea to lay something little on that +205. It’s definitely not a bad idea to just leave this one alone, but I just can see any reason why the Tigers won’t compete today.

Good luck on Thursday.