mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cubs notes

Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune insists that Orioles owner Peter Angelos did shoot down some kind of Erik Bedard/Brian Roberts to the Cubs blockbuster last week. Furthermore, Rogers' source says the talks are now back on.

Rogers speculates that "frustration and gamesmanship" might be why Lou Piniella and Jim Hendry recently denied the blockbuster rumor. Hendry was quoted as saying "that certainly hasn't been a path we've been on."

Rogers also has sources saying the Cubs may have to give up Matt Murton and one or two other players to get Marlon Byrd from Texas (perhaps Sean Gallagher). He speculates that a three-team deal with the Rangers and Orioles to net the Cubs Bedard, Roberts, and Byrd is a possibility. Felix Pie would have to be in that mix, and note that Roch Kubatko said yesterday that the Cubs "would be willing to part with Rich Hill" to get Bedard and Roberts.

Through all of this Rogers says it's a "very highly placed source" and that he trusts the source. It's hard for me to really evaluate this stuff until we get more clarity. But feel free to discuss.

mofome

more cubs:

Cubs agreed to terms with RHP Michael Wuertz on a one-year, $860,000 contract.

great move for the cubs. thats a hell of a value, imo.

d ray
    d ray's Avatar Become A Pro!

i agree, i like wuertz

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by d ray View Post
    i agree, i like wuertz

what did gagne sign for, 1 million? wuertz makes under 1? thats a joke.

d ray

Quote Originally Posted by mofome View Post
    what did gagne sign for, 1 million? wuertz makes under 1? thats a joke.
    GAGNE got 10 million

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

lol i know i seriously cant believe how mch the Brewers gave to Gagne... what a joke

mofome

GAGNE got 10 million

haha i wrote 11 and then made an edit and forgot to put the 0 back in.

10 mill for gagne and under 1 for wuertz.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14641

mofome are the Cubs being readied to be sold off?

also, do you know of a consensus report that reports $ wagered as opposed to players' picks % breakdown?

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard View Post

also, do you know of a consensus report that reports $ wagered as opposed to players' picks % breakdown?

yeah i had something that listed the money wagered instead of the number of plays. i'll find that.

the cubs seem like they're always ready to sell, but i dont think anything is on the brink of happening. the ownership is doing fine right now, they're spending and creating a contender. the cubs will be one of the better teams in the nl in 08, cant ask for a whole lot more than that. they've scouted decently, but when you ruin arms like prior and wood, you're really setting yourself back a bit. if the cubs land bedard and go into the season with bedard/zambo as their #1/#2, they would be favored over any nl team in a best of 5. marmol should be a top shelf closer by 09 and be a great set up man in 08. the cubs are one of my favorite teams to watch as they are.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14641

yeah i had something that listed the money wagered instead of the number of plays. i'll find that.

Thanks mofome, if and when you find it , I'd appreciate it if you could post it back in this thread here where I can look for it easily . . .

d ray

Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard View Post

once they sell wrigley field, the team will be next. The reason for selling Wrigley, or so I hear (not exactly sure about all of this). I guess the main reason is they want to sell it to the city so another owner can't come in and either build a new stadium, move team across town, etc. If any changes to Wrigley take place, they want it in the city's hands, not the new owner. Last I heard Wrigley won't be sold anytime soon, July or August, then the team sold more then likely after the 2008 season.

mofome

once they sell wrigley field, the team will be next. The reason for selling Wrigley, or so I hear (not exactly sure about all of this). I guess the main reason is they want to sell it to the city so another owner can't come in and either build a new stadium, move team across town, etc. If any changes to Wrigley take place, they want it in the city's hands, not the new owner. Last I heard Wrigley won't be sold anytime soon, July or August, then the team sold more then likely after the 2008 season.

do you want these things to happen?

5 star bomb
    5 star bomb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

No

d ray

it's the same shit they did when building the Bears new stadium, no big deal imo. just delaying the sale of the team.