bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rich "Goose" Gossage gets the call from the hall

It's about time that "the goose" got the call from the HOF. This guy should have been in there a long time ago!

There is nobody else out there that is even close these days that gets 2 inning saves anymore like he could.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I'm glad Gossage got the call finally, but I will never understand how he somehow improved so much in the eyes of the voters between his first year of eligibility in 2000 and now

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    I'm glad Gossage got the call finally, but I will never understand how he somehow improved so much in the eyes of the voters between his first year of eligibility in 2000 and now
    Thats simple Willie. They had to have at least one player enter the HOF this year.

All joking aside though... I really never understood how these voters come to their logic when vote. I mean come on. They need to stop playing god and vote correctly.

Willie Bee

In all fairness, Dan, it is sort of their job to 'play god,' be judgmental so to speak, in this matter. And though I can't believe I'm going to defend the BBWAA in the slightest, they are also a bit hamstrung from the start in that there really isn't a hard set of criteria to use.

The Hall of Fame does have some 'hard rules' like minimum service time and how a player isn't eligible until they've been away from the game for five years. But other than that, one sentence describes which players are deserving: "Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played." That leaves so much open to individual interpretation, and that will always lead to the arguments about who should be in that's not and who should be out that's in.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

Congrats to the Goose, and I'm also hopeful that Big Jimmy Rice springboards off this near-miss to make it to the Hall in his last chance next year. I fully realize the jury is out on whether the guy belongs or not, but as a lifelong RedSox fan and somebody who grew up idolizing #14, I'm obviously very biased in my viewpoint and would make a beeline to Cooperstown next year for the induction.

When all is said and done though, I think the thing that amazes me the most with regards to this years balloting is that somebody, somewhere felt that Todd Stottlemyre is deserving of joining the true legends of the game, as he tallied a single point...I'm just sayin'.....

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36693

Congrats to the Goose. As relievers go how could he not be in the hall (and long before this). Going 2 and 2+ innings was a regular occurence for him, something we just do see anymore. Definately overdo.

As for the whole concept of the way the players are voted in, it's just a farce. I think Willie said something about playing "god" and i couldn't agree more. How many more saves did Gossage get from the day he became eligible until now? Yet in his first year he got around 25% and this year he gets 85%? It's a joke. Maybe they don't get in their first year, or even second year if the class is crowded to the point they can't vote in all who deserve it, but this 8-10-12 year deal is a complete joke.

Willie Bee

I've talked to a few members of the BBWAA along the way, and not one of them has been able to give me the answer to several of my questions. Like, how can any voter justify not voting for someone like a Ted Williams or Willie Mays? I can see why players such as Gossage don't get 100% of the vote, but what would be the reason for not voting Teddy Ballgame and the Say Hey Kid in?

Of course the answer is there really is no justifiable reason, unless the voter wants to out themselves as a complete asshole or racist, or both.

When you stop and think that a player like Joe DiMaggio needed three ballots to get in, then it's almost a wonder that the morons in the BBWAA manage to elect anybody.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36693

Especially when you get writers who "insist" that no player should be voted into the hall on their first year of eligibility. Anyone who uses that as a reason to not vote for a Joe D type player should immediately have their ballot taken away for life.

mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

about time.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by cobra_king View Post
    Especially when you get writers who "insist" that no player should be voted into the hall on their first year of eligibility. Anyone who uses that as a reason to not vote for a Joe D type player should immediately have their ballot taken away for life.

Couldn't agree more!!!

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by cobra_king View Post
    I think that pretty well sums it up too Cobra King.

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

Congrats Goose anyone see him do the Top 10 on letterman was pretty good

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

Found the Gossage doing the top 10 list on letterman video on youtube

Top Ten Things Goose Gossage Can Say Now That He's Been Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Posf_us37u0

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011
    ChuteBoxe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

Finally! Congrats Goose!