Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Nationals(-120) to avoid sweep in Houston

Astros have beaten the Nats the last two games, but in this game they are starting a throwaway pitcher. Nat bats will be facing a pitcher who will give them the opportunity to break out of run-production woes.

TIME: 02:05 P.M. EST
    VENUE: Minute Maid Park

The Washington Nationals are in last place in baseball's most tightly packed division, but with the No. 1 pick in next week's draft and the arrival of their superstar-in-waiting, they're about to be the talk of the majors.
    The Houston Astros would be happy simply extending their winning streak.
    The Astros have won just one series since late April, but can double that total Thursday afternoon when they try to close their four-game set against the visiting Nationals with a third straight victory.
    Washington (26-28) is just five days away from the highly anticipated debut of pitching phenom Stephen Strasburg, and a night before the 2009 No. 1 pick debuts, it's expected to make power-hitting prospect Bryce Harper the top selection of the 2010 draft.
    The Astros (19-34), on the other hand, seem to have far less hope on the horizon. While mired in last place in the NL Central, it's 2-0 in June after Wednesday's 5-1 win over the Nationals.
    Lance Berkman had five RBIs in Tuesday's 8-7 victory, and Carlos Lee - finally showing signs he's emerging from a season-long slump - homered Wednesday for the first time in two weeks.
    "It was nice again to see different guys contribute," manager Brad Mills said. "... If you could script it, it would be nice to script it like that.
    "Anytime you can get the heart of your lineup driving runners, that's nice."
    Berkman, Lee and Pence are hitting .337 (31 for 92) with 20 RBIs in their last eight games, and the trio could lead Houston to its first home series win since a three-game sweep of Pittsburgh from April 23-25.
    To do so, the Astros will have to go through a starter who may be fighting for his job. J.D. Martin (0-1, 1.50 ERA) could be the odd man out of the rotation when Strasburg debuts Tuesday, making Martin's second start of 2010 - on the same afternoon Strasburg makes his final tune-up in the minors - that much more critical.
    The right-hander gave up four runs - one earned - and struck out five over six innings Saturday in a 4-2 loss at San Diego.
    "Overall, we lost. That was the main thing I didn't like," Martin told the Nationals' official website. "Overall, I felt I got deep enough in the game, but that's how it goes."
    Martin, who started 15 games as a rookie in 2009, has yet to face the Astros.
    None of Martin's outings last season went as poorly as Brian Moehler's first start of 2010 for Houston. Starting in place of the injured Bud Norris, Moehler (0-2, 7.29) was tagged for eight runs and 10 hits - three homers - over 2 2-3 innings Saturday in a 12-2 loss at Cincinnati.
    "Poor location, and even when I did locate the ball they hit it," Moehler told the Astros' official website. "So I left some balls out over the plate, and they didn't miss them. I felt fine physically."
    Moehler is 0-3 with a 21.21 ERA in his last three starts dating to September.
    He fared well the last time he faced the Nationals, however, scattering seven hits over 6 1-3 innings in a 5-0 home victory July 12.

teecee
    teecee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2879

Umm, did the Nationals win the first game, or did I miss something?

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    Umm, did the Nationals win the first game, or did I miss something?
    i said they lost both in Houston

Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2081

Moehler fade, give me the nats

Nard Dog
    Nard Dog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 384

Moehler's gonna pitch 3-4 innings only. After that, Houston's pen which is not at all too bad will take over. Astros been swinging the bats well the past 2 games. I am passing on this one.

Snowball

Nats just scored the go-ahead run in the 9th.

JumpoffJoeBeezy
    JumpoffJoeBeezy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2136

Shiiiit! I had Nats RL..

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

And this, my friends, is my luck in a nutshell lately.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

Quote Originally Posted by JumpoffJoeBeezy View Post
    Shiiiit! I had Nats RL..
    You had Nats +1.5 ? wow

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I had Nationals ML. What a brutal loss.

They were down 3-2 in the 9th, came back against Lindstrom and scored 2 in the top of the 9th.

Then bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, runner on 2nd, Lance Berkman hits a line drive right at Christian Guzman. He somehow lets it drop. Dibble claims it had topspin and Guzman didn't recognize it or whatever, but it was an atrocious baseball play.

Tie game.

Carlos Lee comes up. Walkoff two run homer, game over. 6-4

JumpoffJoeBeezy
    JumpoffJoeBeezy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2136

No, no. -1.5..

iMxth3xbossx5000
    iMxth3xbossx5000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

pusssssssssssssssiesssss

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

they did win the first game. remember oswalt got ejected. nice work OP in knowing what you are talking about. dude didnt even know it was a 4 game series.
    Last edited by antifoil; 06-03-10 at 04:22 PM.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

Books made millions.... very few people bet on Moehler to win