bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Eric Gagne signs with the Brewers

Boston fans rejoice and Milwaukee fan are probably crying over this signing today.

How the Brewers signed Eric Gagne for 10 million dollars is truly mind boggling to me.

MADISON, Wis. -- The Milwaukee Brewers reached a preliminary agreement on a $10 million, one-year contract with free-agent reliever Eric Gagne, giving the team another option at closer after losing Francisco Cordero to free agency.

Gagne's deal, which is subject to him passing a physical, will allow him to earn an additional $1 million in performance bonuses, a person familiar with the negotiations said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the contract has not been finalized.

Gagne's agreement was first reported by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on its Web site.

"We're not there yet," Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said Saturday night at the Marquette-Wisconsin basketball game.

Melvin said the Brewers' interest in Gagne didn't indicate a lack of confidence in reliever Derrick Turnbow, considered the most logical candidate to take over as the Brewers' closer after Cordero finalized a $46 million, four-year deal with Cincinnati.

"We're just adding depth," Melvin said.

The Brewers were interested in trading for Gagne before last season's trading deadline, but lost out to the Boston Red Sox. Gagne struggled in Boston, going 2-2 with a 6.75 ERA in 20 games after being traded from Texas, but Melvin said he still considered the right-hander a potential closer.

"He's got a history of closing, and he's a guy that can help our bullpen on the back end," Melvin said.

Gagne had 152 saves with the Los Angeles Dodgers from 2002 to 2004, the most in a three-year period in major league history, and won the NL Cy Young Award in 2003. The Canadian's streak of converting 84 consecutive save opportunities in those years is far and away the longest in major league baseball.

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

Melvin said the Brewers' interest in Gagne didn't indicate a lack of confidence in reliever Derrick Turnbow,
    "cough cough" Horse phuey! Turdbow was horrible this season. But i don't see Gagne being a solution either.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

They overpaid big time given Gagne's recent performence and tendicies to be injured.

However, if Gagne is healthy all year and now back in the N.L. this may turn out to be something of a bargain. The difference between Gagne and Turnblow is enormous. Even if Gagne ends up only getting you 4 more saves than Turnblow would it might be worth it.

Given how poor the N.L Central is and the potential MIL has with their young players to win the division, I applaud the Brewers' front staff for being aggressive and getting a well proven closer to replace Cordero. I've been pleased by and large with their off season acquisitions with Kendall and now Gagne. Adding some veteran experience to complement their talented young players should help in the stretch run.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Wow. I would think $5 million would be too much for him. If he gets that, what is Mariano Rivera or Jonathon Papplebon worth? They should get $15M each.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gagne can not stay healthy if MLB becomes an HGH free zone. The only period he really proved anything was the 3-year stretch he was able to medicate. There's a better chance of Turnbow replicating his 2005 season than Gagne reverting back to 2003 form.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Proves the phrase that "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Surprised the Yankees didn't bag him for $15 million, though.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    Proves the phrase that "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Surprised the Yankees didn't bag him for $15 million, though.
    Or even 11 million for that matter Taco. Instead they sign Letray Hawkins for 3+ million.

paul Mordeeb
    paul Mordeeb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

You would think Cordero would of been a better signing for the 4 year deal. Gag is going to do terrible!!

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

should have been 4million with bonuses. GG brewers, i was hoping for you team to be good in the near future, now there is cancer in those hopes.

Hopes: radiation after 1 year = cutting ties with gagne

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by paul Mordeeb View Post
    You would think Cordero would of been a better signing for the 4 year deal. Gag is going to do terrible!!
    I would agree with that statement Paul.