Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Braun & Pedroia take ROY hardware home

Looks like that late season push by the Rockies was just a little too late to sway the media voters in the NL, not to mention it's hard to argue with the numbers Braun posted in less than a full season...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3106745
    NEW YORK -- Ryan Braun won the NL Rookie of the Year award in one of the closest votes, while Dustin Pedroia ran away with the AL honor Monday.

Braun, Milwaukee's slugging third baseman, edged Colorado shortstop Troy Tulowitzki by two points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Pedroia, the little Boston second baseman with the big swing, easily topped Tampa Bay outfielder Delmon Young. Voting was done before Pedroia helped lead the Red Sox to the World Series title.

Called up from Triple-A in late May, Braun hit .324 with 34 home runs and 97 RBIs. The Brewers led the majors in homers this season and stayed in contention for the NL Central championship until the final week.

Braun got 17 of the 32 first-place votes and finished with 128 points. Tulowitzki received 15 first-place votes and had 126 points.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Troy Tulowitzki I thought should have won that award.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Although I'm biased by being a Red Sox fan, a good result for the AL voting, especially when you consider Dusty's piss-poor start to the season. He could have so easily been sent back to the minors.

And I'm pretty damn surprised that Dice-K got 4th and Okajima only managed 6th after an awesome season. Someone throwing junk with the pitching style he has should have ended up higher than that.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    Although I'm biased by being a Red Sox fan, a good result for the AL voting, especially when you consider Dusty's piss-poor start to the season. He could have so easily been sent back to the minors.
    Very similar to Tulowitzki's season -- slow start, then rebounded nicely. The irony was that Tulowitzki really got going on offense about the same time he recorded the unassisted triple play.

It's going to be interesting to watch all of these rookies ripen on the MLB vine. I'd put money on Tulowitzki having the better overall career of the bunch.