bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Phillies trade for Brad Lidge

Maybe this trade is just what Brad Lidge needed in order to rejuvenate his career, however I feel the Astros got the better side of the deal.

Lidge goes to Phillies from Astros for Bourn, Geary

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Philadelphia Phillies acquired reliever Brad Lidge from the Houston Astros in a five-player trade on Wednesday night.

The Phillies sent outfielder Michael Bourn, pitcher Geoff Geary and minor leaguer Mike Costanzo to Houston, and received infielder Eric Bruntlett in addition to Lidge.

It was the first trade of the general managers' meetings this year.

The 30-year-old Lidge was 5-3 with 19 saves in 27 chances for the Astros last year. He struggled to close out games but held batters to a .218 average and averaged 11.8 strikeouts per nine innings.

Philadelphia intends to move Brett Myers, who had been their closer, back into the starting rotation.

Bruntlett hit .246 with 14 RBIs last season, seeing time at shortstop, third base and the outfield.

Bourn batted .277 as a rookie this year with one homer, six RBIs and 18 steals, and Geary was 3-2 with a 4.41 ERA with the Phillies. Costano, 24, batted .270 with 27 homers and 86 RBIs at Double-A Reading.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Lidge needed to go to a pitchers park, he is still in a hitters park.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I guess my hometown team is banking on Costanzo being a stud soon. Otherwise, I'd say the Phils did well.

mv09
    mv09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2630

Terrible Deal for Ed Wade. I dont like it at all.

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Lidge was okay last year. 3.36 ERA, everyone acts like he got killed last year. he hasn't been dominant and probably never will be anymore, but he can be a solid bullpen guy.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Read a little more about Bourn and I like the deal a little better now that they say he'll start in CF, Pence moves to RF and Lee stays in LF. If Bourn is the speedy Wily Taveras type in CF, they'll be alright. The only thing that I don't like is Ed Wade makes his first deal with his former club for a player he drafted. Hopefully he knew what he was doing back then. Also read the 'Stros might make a play for Dontrelle Willis. That'd be sweet.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Agree with you, EP, about who Wade made the deal with/for. Maybe this was the best he could get for Lidge, but I think I could've gotten more later in this offseason. Weak depth on free agent front, and primarily I'd like to just know if Wade even dangled Lidge out to any other teams before pulling the trigger on this one???

And bottom line: It's like we got Willy Taveras back in Michael Bourn, Taylor Buchholz back in Geoff Geary, a maybe guy for the minors, plus we know longer have Lidge. Not blaming Wade for a deal Purpura made, but...

If Lidge goes back to pre 2005 NLCS form, it will likely go down as one of the worst trades Houston ever made unless the Bourn kid AND either Geary or Costanzo are damn near Hall of Famers. Wade still needs to plug holes on this roster, so we'll call this Step 1 and see what he does the rest of the winter and spring.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    Lidge needed to go to a pitchers park, he is still in a hitters park.
    Oh so very true looker. Lidge could conceivably give up even more home runs than he did last year.