bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Yankees won't be getting Tony La Russa

The Cardinals are holding a press conference right now announcing La Russa to return to Cards with two-year deal.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

The thing is, who would really want the job at the moment especially with the questions surrounding all of the free agents.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Understand the point you're making, taco. But I'm guessing about 90% of the managers out of work right now, and at least half of those presently employed, would jump at the chance to manage in the Bronx.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    Understand the point you're making, taco. But I'm guessing about 90% of the managers out of work right now, and at least half of those presently employed, would jump at the chance to manage in the Bronx.
    Exactly; anyone who FOLLOWS MLB knows this. The Yankees job is a great resume builder as well. Every team is going to lose players each year.

tacomax

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    I'm sure they would, but who would apply and who the Yankees want could be two different 50%'s.

The Yankees make a nice parallel with Real Madrid, the soccer team for those not in the know. Known for spunking big money compared to most other European teams on big names that are generally past their prime or have more of the marketing factor than the talent. Despite a new round of summer spending each year on the game's hottest commodity, they're been pretty much a failure on the pitch. And they've gone through managers like Barry Bonds goes through flaxseed oil - averaging one a year this century.

And my point. I think I've forgotten. Nope, the point is that Real Madrid either don't generally get the premier managers that their size of club should be getting. And if they do manage it, they're gone within a year. The top managers simply don't want to join for what is going to be a hiding to nothing, managing over-paid and under-talented egos, and unemployment within 12 months.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    I'm sure they would, but who would apply and who the Yankees want could be two different 50%'s.

The Yankees make a nice parallel with Real Madrid, the soccer team for those not in the know. Known for spunking big money compared to most other European teams on big names that are generally past their prime or have more of the marketing factor than the talent. Despite a new round of summer spending each year on the game's hottest commodity, they're been pretty much a failure on the pitch. And they've gone through managers like Barry Bonds goes through flaxseed oil - averaging one a year this century.

And my point. I think I've forgotten. Nope, the point is that Real Madrid either don't generally get the premier managers that their size of club should be getting. And if they do manage it, they're gone within a year. The top managers simply don't want to join for what is going to be a hiding to nothing, managing over-paid and under-talented egos, and unemployment within 12 months.
    You are comparing two different sports and quite frankly two different countries. As I stated earlier, managing the Yankees is a GREAT resume builder so even if someone only lasts 2 years, it would jump start a manager's career. Look how popular and well paid Torre became.

You can't compare European soccer coaches to American MLB managers.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    I'm sure they would, but who would apply and who the Yankees want could be two different 50%'s...The top managers simply don't want to join for what is going to be a hiding to nothing, managing over-paid and under-talented egos, and unemployment within 12 months.
    Don't pretend to know a thing about soccer, but your point is a good one. I suspect, not being a mind reader, that managers like Tony LaRussa and Bobby Cox, just to name a couple of what I'd define as 'top managers' in MLB, probably don't want the job. They've already proven they're value as managers and are probably comfortable just where they are without the NYY job.

Another point is there are most likely several (many perhaps?) who don't want the job not because they don't want to manage the Yankees but because they don't want to deal with the NYC media.

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

i hate the yankees, except when i got money on them, but i would really like to see Mattingly be the manager. i always liked him as a player.

tacomax

Joe Girardi in for an interview today. Oh to be a fly on the wall when he was asked by the Steinbrenners why he left his last job. I wonder how much of the interview was taken up with the discussion of facial hair.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

They reported that they talked a lot about Northwestern football.

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Anyone would want to manage the Yankees, its the best job in baseball. I think it would be a big mistake for them to hire Mattingly. I remember a game earlier this year when Joe was suspended. There was an obvious bad call and Donny didn't even go out to argue. After the game he said he didn't see it. That told me everything I needed to know about him.